British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Higher salaries for Emiratis to get them in the private sector (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/higher-salaries-emiratis-get-them-private-sector-780958/)

Meow Dec 18th 2012 8:04 am

Higher salaries for Emiratis to get them in the private sector

You'll love this...

http://www.zawya.com/story/Emiratis_...emailmarketing

Attractive salaries and holidays matching those of public sector jobs are planned for UAE nationals joining the private sector in a renewed Emiratisation drive, a senior official said.

The recently launched Absher initiative will invite businesses to hire more Emiratis by offering enticing salaries and holiday packages.

......There’s an intention from the government to narrow this gap by synchronising salaries and days off in order to boost the morale of these [Emirati] job seekers to join the private sector.

See more in the link.

Apparently 2013 is to the Year of Emiratisation. According to the Chinese horoscope it's the Year of the Snake...

Blue Cat Dec 18th 2012 8:06 am

Re: Higher salaries for Emiratis to get them in the private sector

and is it still the case that once you've hired one you can't sack them?

Bahtatboy Dec 18th 2012 8:15 am

And does the master plan deal with compensation for those private companies? And this is an environment where owners of private companies become criminals if their companies become bankrupt or insolvent.

mikewot Dec 18th 2012 8:21 am

The recently launched Absher initiative will invite businesses to hire more Emiratis by offering enticing salaries and holiday packages.

Most UAE nationals prefer to work in government departments because of higher pay scales, shorter working hours, and more days off.

“There’s an intention from the government to narrow this gap by synchronising salaries and days off in order to boost the morale of these [Emirati] job seekers to join the private sector,” Deputy Minister of Presidential Affairs Ahmad Juma Al Za’abi said.

OK so does this mean that government will be instructing the private sector about reducing hours and increasing pay or will this run as a two tier system? Let me think about that, in my own industry it runs as two tiers!

I am surprised there is no mention of compulsory blackberries, what are they supposed to do at work all day if the can't BBM their mates?

Ash786 Dec 18th 2012 8:23 am

Similar things are happening in Saudi. Iqama fees have gone up and companies are being charged 200 Riyals per month per foreigner they employee instead of a saudi national. Getting and/or renewing visa's is becoming tougher as well.

Bahtatboy Dec 18th 2012 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10439402)
You'll love this...

http://www.zawya.com/story/Emiratis_...emailmarketing

Attractive salaries and holidays matching those of public sector jobs are planned for UAE nationals joining the private sector in a renewed Emiratisation drive, a senior official said.

......There’s an intention from the government to narrow this gap by synchronising salaries and days off in order to boost the morale of these [Emirati] job seekers to join the private sector.

See more in the link.

Apparently 2013 is to the Year of Emiratisation. According to the Chinese horoscope it's the Year of the Snake...

I once invited a man to give me his Ferrari. Bastard refused.

mikewot Dec 18th 2012 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Ash786 (Post 10439436)
Similar things are happening in Saudi. Iqama fees have gone up and companies are being charged 200 Riyals per month per foreigner they employee instead of a saudi national. Getting and/or renewing visa's is becoming tougher as well.

How does the work get done then?

Bahtatboy Dec 18th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10439449)
How does the work get done then?

With greater difficulty and at higher cost. Arguably less difficult and costly to deal with the hassles and pay the fines than actually employ some...

lanarkwitch Dec 18th 2012 8:45 am

I'm all for protectionism in some ways, but there is a fine line between that and discrimination, hopefully we're not going to get into the whole you get paid more because you're local business. Well anymore than we already are with the current emitarisation story.

Given the state of the global economy I can't see the "enticement" for businesses to employ less experienced candidates who cost them more money.

Having just read the article,are they saying private sector workers will get the same holidays etc as public sector?

I think Mr Ahmad Juma Al Za’abi needs to lay off the stawberry shisha for a bit, and realise that not all workers in the private sector are in management positions getting paid a song