British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Here we go again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/here-we-go-again-803305/)

Paracletus Jul 18th 2013 4:30 pm

Here we go again

Surprised?

mentalist Jul 18th 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Here we go again

Would like to know the full story. Why was she convicted of perjury?

Paracletus Jul 18th 2013 5:31 pm

Her story, according to her was that she was out with colleagues over from Doha for a business trip in Dubai. They went out drinking, she went back to their hotel, a sudanese man, her colleague told her she was too drunk to sleep in her own room and he would wake her up as it would look bad if they overslept. When she woke up, she was undressed and being raped.

The dubai police do not believe her, hence the perjury charge, and she was stripped of her passport some months ago, she appealed her case and is still 'free'. Don't know much more.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/mi...artid=10112042

Norwegian paper with english language article on the case.

Fossildog Jul 18th 2013 6:23 pm

Alcohol again. Are there any cases like this where alcohol has not been a contributing factor? I do not think the UAE is the place to get drunk and lose control and those that do this unfortunately pay the price.

Autonomy Jul 18th 2013 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 10807050)
Alcohol again. Are there any cases like this where alcohol has not been a contributing factor? I do not think the UAE is the place to get drunk and lose control and those that do this unfortunately pay the price.

bit of a difference of "losing control" and "being raped" though...

Drinking alcohol will almost never get you arrested on its own, but get in trouble and you will almost always be charged with drinking alcohol as well as what you may have done....

Fossildog Jul 18th 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10807071)
bit of a difference of "losing control" and "being raped" though...

Drinking alcohol will almost never get you arrested on its own, but get in trouble and you will almost always be charged with drinking alcohol as well as what you may have done....

In this case it was reported that her friend felt she was too drunk to sleep alone. If she had not got drunk then this would not have happened. So too much alcohol was a factor in what happened if the reported story is correct.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 18th 2013 6:52 pm

There is a difference between drinking alcohol and getting bum-drunk.
One should always know which is the last one, it's usually the one after which your brain asks you to get up and leave but unfortunately for some, it is an alien sound ;)

Autonomy Jul 18th 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 10807082)
In this case it was reported that her friend felt she was too drunk to sleep alone. If she had not got drunk then this would not have happened. So too much alcohol was a factor in what happened if the reported story is correct.

Just to let you know, you are wrong. Rape is rape.

Fossildog Jul 18th 2013 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10807154)
Just to let you know, you are wrong. Rape is rape.

Get off your high horse and read what I posted, I never said the rape did not happen. But if the lady in question had not been drunk then her choices would have been more informed and she would not have put herself in such a vulnerable situation.

All of these cases have excessive alcohol consumption as the connection factor.

weasel decentral Jul 18th 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 10807185)

All of these cases have men taking advantage of/or excusing excessive alcohol consumption as the connection factor.

Is the real factor

rowell Jul 18th 2013 8:13 pm

Get off your high horse and read what I posted, I never said the rape did not happen. But if the lady in question had not been drunk then her choices would have been more informed and she would not have put herself in such a vulnerable situation.

Because a person has too much alcohol that is not a reason to rape her, women should be safe no matter what their level of intoxication.

Autonomy Jul 18th 2013 8:46 pm

I am pretty sure, no matter how informed her choices were, she did not choose to be raped. Alcohol or not. Short skirt or not. Asking for it or not.

Instead of asking to re-read, you need to rethink. Really.

Paracletus Jul 18th 2013 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 10807205)
Because a person has too much alcohol that is not a reason to rape her, women should be safe no matter what their level of intoxication.

But it's proved again and again, that they are not in this part of the world. Sad, but quite true. I can't help to think she acted naively, but of course, there is no excuse for rape. Ever.

Kix Jul 19th 2013 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10806983)
Her story, according to her was that she was out with colleagues over from Doha for a business trip in Dubai. They went out drinking, she went back to their hotel, a sudanese man, her colleague told her she was too drunk to sleep in her own room and he would wake her up as it would look bad if they overslept. When she woke up, she was undressed and being raped.

The dubai police do not believe her, hence the perjury charge, and she was stripped of her passport some months ago, she appealed her case and is still 'free'. Don't know much more.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/mi...artid=10112042

Norwegian paper with english language article on the case.

Why was she stripped of her passport? Surely the passport belongs to the Norwegian Government, and I can't believe that they would take it off her.

Or do you mean she had to hand it in to the police as a condition of bail?

Fossildog Jul 19th 2013 4:41 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 10807205)

I totally agree, I was just pointing out that alcohol is always involved in these stories and perhaps out here getting hammered is not a good idea as you leave yourself vulnerable in lots of ways.