British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Help! I dont want to be Abscondee /Blacklist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/help-i-dont-want-abscondee-blacklist-745434/)

Mary12345 Jan 18th 2012 7:02 pm

Help! I dont want to be Abscondee /Blacklist

Hello fellow Expats in the sandpit...

I would really appreciate some advice, as I find myself in a terrifying situation.

Lived in DXB for 3 yrs, and worked for very well known multi-national company for 2 1/ 2 yrs, and had my residence visa with their broker. This expires in april 2012. I joined a new company and worked there for one month as I had to return home as I fell seriously ill and wanted to be with family and of course to have better medical treatment on our NHS.
I never got round to cancelling my old employers / broker's visa, as the new company said they would do this, but of course I had to hand my notice in, and they told me to go back to the UK as I wasn't required to do a months notice as per they're probabtionary period. I left December 2011.

here lies the problem. They paid one months rent of 7500Dhs which they want back, and have emailed me saying they will contact broker and cancel visa and they said that I will be then considered an Abscondee and will be blacklisted and banned from even entering the UAE or indeed any other GCC country. I may need to re-visit of course.

Other issue is, I have a credit card bill of 45,000Dhs and a small loan of 7500Dhs as I ended up having to pay for extra medical treatment that my Alico insurance cover wouldn't pay.

Now, I have every intention of paying my debts and wouldn't even comtemplate not paying them, but if they cancel the visa, would I have to pay the whole amount or make some kind of arrangement with them.

I can only just about make the min payment as I am now unemployed.

Would someone please kindly advise me on how to resolve this issue legally and how to financially do it....I would be so grateful to you.:(

I am absolutely terrified of the implications for myself have never found myself in a situation like this.

Thank you expats..
x
Mary

The Dean Jan 19th 2012 1:26 am

Re: Help! I dont want to be Abscondee /Blacklist

Originally Posted by Mary12345 (Post 9850689)
Hello fellow Expats in the sandpit...

I would really appreciate some advice, as I find myself in a terrifying situation.

Lived in DXB for 3 yrs, and worked for very well known multi-national company for 2 1/ 2 yrs, and had my residence visa with their broker. This expires in april 2012. I joined a new company and worked there for one month as I had to return home as I fell seriously ill and wanted to be with family and of course to have better medical treatment on our NHS.
I never got round to cancelling my old employers / broker's visa, as the new company said they would do this, but of course I had to hand my notice in, and they told me to go back to the UK as I wasn't required to do a months notice as per they're probabtionary period. I left December 2011.

here lies the problem. They paid one months rent of 7500Dhs which they want back, and have emailed me saying they will contact broker and cancel visa and they said that I will be then considered an Abscondee and will be blacklisted and banned from even entering the UAE or indeed any other GCC country. I may need to re-visit of course.

Other issue is, I have a credit card bill of 45,000Dhs and a small loan of 7500Dhs as I ended up having to pay for extra medical treatment that my Alico insurance cover wouldn't pay.

Now, I have every intention of paying my debts and wouldn't even comtemplate not paying them, but if they cancel the visa, would I have to pay the whole amount or make some kind of arrangement with them.

I can only just about make the min payment as I am now unemployed.

Would someone please kindly advise me on how to resolve this issue legally and how to financially do it....I would be so grateful to you.:(

I am absolutely terrified of the implications for myself have never found myself in a situation like this.

Thank you expats..
x
Mary

Oh my God.......... how NOT to run your personal finances........

Just one thing for now (more later from me and others) - this:

I have a credit card bill of 45,000Dhs and a small loan of 7500Dhs

I assume you mean those the other way round - if not, what the hell were you thinking?? (I'm assuming the CC has a far higher interest rate than a loan).

Do you mind me asking: what salary and benefits package were you on? I'm ludicrously well-paid, but I've never - NEVER - owed that much on a credit card.

Blimey.

Millhouse Jan 19th 2012 2:36 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9851420)
Oh my God.......... how NOT to run your personal finances........

Just one thing for now (more later from me and others) - this:

I have a credit card bill of 45,000Dhs and a small loan of 7500Dhs

I assume you mean those the other way round - if not, what the hell were you thinking?? (I'm assuming the CC has a far higher interest rate than a loan).

Do you mind me asking: what salary and benefits package were you on? I'm ludicrously well-paid, but I've never - NEVER - owed that much on a credit card.

Blimey.

I would have thought it quite easy to rack up those debts when paying medical bills here. I'm on a pay 'n claim basis (as no one here will recognise my US provider) and so now see the bills - they can get quite heafty.

Personally, I'd try and do it one step at a time - sort out the employer issue first. The other loans can go to hell until you can find a means to pay them off. Once all that is done (and you have all clearances) you can come back :) Chances of a coming up with a 'plan' with the banks are very limited...

mentalist Jan 19th 2012 4:46 am

But I thought she said that her medical treatment was done by the NHS back home, so where has the Dhs45,000 credit card bill come from? Also, how come the residence visa with her old company lasts until April 2012 and yet she says she left her second employer in December 2011? Thirdly, she lived in DBX for 3 years but when did she join British Expats and why I wonder? Oh well, there must be a logical explanation:confused:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 19th 2012 4:56 am

I don't think the credit card or loan really matter to be honest. She's said she wants to and will pay them back.

The issue seems to be around getting back into the country.

I'd get in touch with new employer, old employer and ministry of labour to see whether they can make you appear on any 'blacklist' despite paying back the 7,500?

co durham boy Jan 19th 2012 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9851621)
I don't think the credit card or loan really matter to be honest. She's said she wants to and will pay them back.

The issue seems to be around getting back into the country.

I'd get in touch with new employer, old employer and ministry of labour to see whether they can make you appear on any 'blacklist' despite paying back the 7,500?

The debt does matter as it's the bank that will make the most complication in the matter , if they file a case she could be arrested when re entering the U.A.E.

Everything else pales in comparison to the debt , if they file the case she have a criminal case to answer .

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 19th 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9851635)
The debt does matter as it's the bank that will make the most complication in the matter , if they file a case she could be arrested when re entering the U.A.E.

Everything else pales in comparison to the debt , if they file the case she have a criminal case to answer .

But if she has an employer in the UAE and the means to pay the debt when she is here then surely it's irrelevant?

Is the issue not getting old visa cancelled to start work on the new one? If minimum payments are being met then the banks should be fine because they earn more?

co durham boy Jan 19th 2012 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9851726)
But if she has an employer in the UAE and the means to pay the debt when she is here then surely it's irrelevant?

Is the issue not getting old visa cancelled to start work on the new one? If minimum payments are being met then the banks should be fine because they earn more?

That's logic mate and in the real world bang on . The trouble is the debt . The banks recovery team will just nail her , they will never be able to understand the basics of the problem never mind the solution .

Never have debt in this part of the world

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 19th 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9851732)
That's logic mate and in the real world bang on . The trouble is the debt . The banks recovery team will just nail her , they will never be able to understand the basics of the problem never mind the solution .

Never have debt in this part of the world

I'm with you now

The Dean Jan 19th 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9851810)
I'm with you now

She needs to get an attitude.............

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 19th 2012 9:15 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9851837)
She needs to get an attitude.............

Correct. I'm sure whatever Richard Pryor said can be taken as gospel anyway.....

Eva Jan 19th 2012 9:56 pm

Well, well, well....
The Dubai WRI is out in force isn't it?
(no doubt there are a few xdressers in the membership for sure but let not it be me who casts the first stone of condemnation:)
The OP asked for help not for judgemental slights or criticism:frown:.

Millhouse Jan 20th 2012 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 9853288)
Well, well, well....
The Dubai WRI is out in force isn't it?
(no doubt there are a few xdressers in the membership for sure but let not it be me who casts the first stone of condemnation:)
The OP asked for help not for judgemental slights or criticism:frown:.

my thoughts exactly.

The Dean Jan 20th 2012 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9853846)
my thoughts exactly.

Fair point............ who's going to start?

Millhouse Jan 20th 2012 4:57 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9853897)
Fair point............ who's going to start?

I wouldn't know where to.