Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

help to change Abercrombie & Fitch's brand message

help to change Abercrombie & Fitch's brand message

Old May 16th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help to change Abercrombie & Fitch's brand message

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Hmm.

Anyone can fly first class if they pony up the money. Airlines aren't going to say, wait, you're not the right class, you can't fly first. You show them the cash, you get the ticket.

That's the difference between a company refusing to sell a product to someone who doesn't meet their non-financial criteria because they're undesirable for whatever reasons.

If you are a business with a shop on the high street you are operating in the public sphere and as such you have no right to control who buys your product, especially when we're talking about something as trivial as clothing.

The US has very clearly defined laws preventing discrimination in sales. Not long ago there were department stores and hotels that refused to serve black customers. Can you justify that?
But, A&F aren’t stopping anyone buying the products. That they make clothes in certain sizes means not everyone will fit into them is different, they produce other products which are less size dependent, footwear, aftershave, accessories etc which anyone could buy or use.

The fact that the clothes are seen as aspirational by some chunky kids who can’t fit into them might actually be a good thing and get the wee porkers to think twice before munching into a couple of big macs or get them out doing some sport rather than dicking about on Facebook.

As Scampy would say I’m being devil’s helmut to a degree, and for all I don’t agree with much A&F do and have done, they are an extremely successful business so what they are doing, rightly or wrongly in my or our views, does work.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
A&F doesn't want fat and ugly people wearing their clothes.This guy trying to stick it to A&F by using the homeless to do so, is essentially saying the homeless are unworthy.
So you're saying the fat and ugly people are unworthy?

Not related to rhe above comment....

What A&F do is perfectly within their rights, but immoral on the basis that they blatently exclude fat and ugly people which perpetuates this evil vendetta society has against overweight people.

Oh and just to make it abundantly clear to those who like to insult others about how they look, A fat person, on being told that they should work harder and they too could be skinny, is not going to suddenly wake up and say "oh my, i've wasted my life away in Greggs, please show me to the treadmill". You're not actually helping them at all in fact by doing that you're probably having the opposite effect.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
The fact that the clothes are seen as aspirational by some chunky kids who can’t fit into them might actually be a good thing and get the wee porkers to think twice before munching into a couple of big macs or get them out doing some sport rather than dicking about on Facebook.
Case in point
Old May 16th 2013, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to have to respecfully disagree.

If we want to live in a democractic society one of the principles we must accept is the prohibition of discrimination in the public sphere. When you operate a for-profit business you are operating in the public sphere and as such you cannot discriminate against customers for reasons other than the price of the good being sold (which represents the cost of your goods/services). The only exception to this would be if the business has a genuine fear that the sale of the product to a certain client can lead to ill-harm against the public elswhere, but the business would have to demonstrably justify their concerns.

Let's consider a clothing store like A&F. The business itself may be private but it relies on public goodwill for survival. By which I include everything from the police to ensure stability on the streets outside the shop to the councils for collecting the waste, ensuring the roads are in good conditions and ensuring an environment conductive to attracting consumers. Then the national government provides, directly or indirectly, much of the means for the transportation of goods and services, both domestically and globally. The national governments also provide tax incentives that directly and indirectly help spur sales in shops. These are just a handful of examples of how private businesses cannot survive outside the public sphere.

That's why it's accepted a business that trades in public comes under the laws and regulations of the public sphere. In democratic societies that includes no discrimination against customers who can afford the product.

Enterprises that exist outside the public sphere, which includes institutions such as schools and private clubs, are allowed to discriminate however they want because they are considered to be non-profit, not reliant on public goodwill, and in the private sphere (just as your house is, thus you have the right to control who may or may not enter your house). But businesses are not in the private sphere.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Anyone can buy A&F if they pony up the six-pack. I fail to see the difference. Why should money be an acceptable criterion for deciding who can and who cannot buy, but not physique? Some people are rich from an early age and stay that way all their life; some people are poor from an early age but make themselves rich. Some people are fit from an early age and stay that way all their life; some people fat from an early age but make themselves fit. Some people strive really hard to be rich, but fail, and so can't fly first class. Some people strive really hard to be fit, but fail, and so can't by A&F. No-one ever said life was meant to be fair, and business enterprises aren't there to make it any fairer.

If you are a business with a shop on the high street you are operating in the public sphere and as such you have no right to control who buys your product, especially when we're talking about something as trivial as clothing.

You have EVERY right to control who buys, unless you are discriminating illegally.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:54 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
So you're saying the fat and ugly people are unworthy?

Not related to rhe above comment....

What A&F do is perfectly within their rights, but immoral on the basis that they blatently exclude fat and ugly people which perpetuates this evil vendetta society has against overweight people.

Oh and just to make it abundantly clear to those who like to insult others about how they look, A fat person, on being told that they should work harder and they too could be skinny, is not going to suddenly wake up and say "oh my, i've wasted my life away in Greggs, please show me to the treadmill". You're not actually helping them at all in fact by doing that you're probably having the opposite effect.
Why can't someone ugly wear them

All my A&F stuff is in the UK where it could be staying. Their Polo shirts were very good quality. Their marketing is certainly working though as we have all been talking about it. Genius.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Why can't someone ugly wear them

All my A&F stuff is in the UK where it could be staying. Their Polo shirts were very good quality. Their marketing is certainly working though as we have all been talking about it. Genius.
talking but not buying so not that genius
Old May 16th 2013, 9:56 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
talking but not buying so not that genius
BC. All press is good press.

That said I don't think a few chunky expats is going to cause them sleepless nights.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Refusing to make clothes in a certain size is not A&F's problem nor is it discriminatory.

A&F, as with any business, is offering a product. It doesn't matter who wants to buy the product, A&F can't prevent the sale of that product to the customer as long as the customer has the money to pay for the sale. Bahtboy was implying that A&F has the right to deliberately not sell to a certain customer (discrimination), not that A&F has the right to not make something in a certain size (not discrimination).

It's not A&F's problem if someone buys something way too small.

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
But, A&F aren’t stopping anyone buying the products. That they make clothes in certain sizes means not everyone will fit into them is different, they produce other products which are less size dependent, footwear, aftershave, accessories etc which anyone could buy or use.

As Scampy would say I’m being devil’s helmut to a degree, and for all I don’t agree with much A&F do and have done, they are an extremely successful business so what they are doing, rightly or wrongly in my or our views, does work.
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

BC. All press is good press.

That said I don't think a few chunky expats is going to cause them sleepless nights.
I can agree on that
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus

What A&F do is perfectly within their rights, but immoral on the basis that they blatently exclude fat and ugly people which perpetuates this evil vendetta society has against overweight people. I concede that there is some merit in that argument.

Oh and just to make it abundantly clear to those who like to insult others about how they look, A fat person, on being told that they should work harder and they too could be skinny, is not going to suddenly wake up and say "oh my, i've wasted my life away in Greggs, please show me to the treadmill". You're not actually helping them at all in fact by doing that you're probably having the opposite effect. What does work then? Not being nasty here. Surely some people will respond positively to that kind of direct approach.
See comments above.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:03 am
Shark Fisherman

Most designer clothes are built for skinny blokes anyhow.

A & F is a strange one as its one of the only American designers that has small sizes. I expect it from the french & Italians so generally avoid their shite.

Paul Smith, Replay, Diesel, Ralph Lauren, TH and Hugo Boss all fit so I stick to them.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Speak for yourself Sir Tubbs Alot.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't know what works unfortunately, but i think it starts with acceptance, a non-judgemental stance and the knowledge that there isnt much you can do to help other than let them come to their own conclusions and decide to do something about it on their own. Do you think for one second a fat person doesn't realise they are fat? or, for that matter, the basic rules of how not to be fat?

Trying to help someone else by controlling or heavily influencing their behaviour and/or getting pissed off when they don't listen or rtake your advice is called codependancy.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'd much rather be my size and build than skinny. No shadow of doubt in that.

If A&F didn't fit, I wouldn't wear it.

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying going into River Island or somewhere for a cheap pair of chinos / shorts and realising they only go up to a 36 waist....well, it's annoying until you remember that nice shops go higher
Old May 16th 2013, 10:16 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Scamp
chinos

I am disappointed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.