Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

A hello and a question re stepchildren!

A hello and a question re stepchildren!

Old May 10th 2011, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

broccoli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A hello and a question re stepchildren!

Hi all

Will hopefully be using this forum regularly as we prepare to move over to Bahrain this year.

I have a question regarding family visas for Bahrain - are stepchildren covered? I have read "immediate family" which of course I consider my step daughter, but do the Bahraini's see it that way too?

If anyone has any experience/knowledge of this subject I'ld be grateful of any advice!

Cheers
Old May 10th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A hello and a question re stepchildren!

Originally Posted by broccoli
Hi all

Will hopefully be using this forum regularly as we prepare to move over to Bahrain this year.

I have a question regarding family visas for Bahrain - are stepchildren covered? I have read "immediate family" which of course I consider my step daughter, but do the Bahraini's see it that way too?

If anyone has any experience/knowledge of this subject I'ld be grateful of any advice!

Cheers
someone with more knowledge will surely confirm this, however I believe the GCC countries won't see your step-daughter as immediate family and you will require some sort of letter/permission, from your step-daughters father. A quick call to the Bahrain embassy in London would clarify officially for your peace of mind.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by broccoli
Hi all

Cheers
you will need to be married to her Mother, and have a no objection letter from her Father, even then it could be quite dodgy
Old May 11th 2011, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about Bahrain, but can explain my experience here in Saudi.

I came over, then brought my wife and her daughter - my step daughter. before leaving the UK, I had to get a Letter of Consent from the father. THis was a letter stating that he had no objection, and gave all custody etc to my wife - the mother. This had to be all done in front of a Notary Public. Documents needed were passports for father, mother and child, along with child's birth certificate. I brought his paperwork with me to process the visa once I got to Saudi.

To cut a long story short, I then had to send the bundle of papers back to the UK. My wife then took them all to the Foreign Office for legalising, and then to Saudi Embassy for them to legalise also. The bundle was then sent back here, and visa was duly processed.

It *might* be the same for Bahrain, you'll have to look into that. I didn't find all this out until I got to Saudi.

So in summary:
- Bundle of papers - including copy of fathers passport, mothers passports, child passport, child Birth Certificate and letter of consent from father. All to be notarised in the UK.

THis bundle may then need to go to the Foreign Office for legalising.

From there, to the Bahraini Embassy for them to legalise it - and that should be more than enough.

Good Luck.