Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Helicopter crash in the north sea

Helicopter crash in the north sea

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Re: Helicopter crash in the north sea

Originally Posted by commander
yea miller platform. Ive been on there a few years ago doing a survey of their power systems.

poor ****ers had no chance
Christ.
Just read that 10 of the 14 passengers onboard work for my company. KCA Deutag.
I didnt even know we had the contract for that platform.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:52 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

KCA are pretty much everywhere mate..

Sorry for the loss
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Christ.
Just read that 10 of the 14 passengers onboard work for my company. KCA Deutag.
I didnt even know we had the contract for that platform.
Stu I am sorry to hear this. Helicopters and the North Sea are a bad combination. Alot of the lads from my home town(South Shields) work on the Rigs, when I was younger my best friend lost her Dad in a helicopter crash. I know alot of lads who have lost their lives. Tragic.

Last edited by Blue Cat; Apr 2nd 2009 at 5:48 am. Reason: sp
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:03 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Was watching this on Sky News till 3am this morning...

I know a few lads on Miller, one who I was told was due off Tuesday. Even if you know nobody on Miller, everyone in O & G is thinking 'There, but for the Grace of God, go I'......

To anyone affected by this, you are in my thoughts.....
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:01 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Was watching this on Sky News till 3am this morning...

I know a few lads on Miller, one who I was told was due off Tuesday. Even if you know nobody on Miller, everyone in O & G is thinking 'There, but for the Grace of God, go I'......

To anyone affected by this, you are in my thoughts.....
yup....
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Stu I am sorry to hear this. Helicopters and the North Sea are a bad combination. Alot of the lads from my home town(South Shields) work on the Rigs, when I was younger my best friend lost her Dad in a helicopter crash. I know alot of lads who have lost their lives. Tragic.

Not that it matters, but Ive only been with this company for a year and a half so i probably dont know any of the guys. as mentioned earlier, may god rest their souls
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:05 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Not that it matters, but Ive only been with this company for a year and a half so i probably dont know any of the guys. as mentioned earlier, may god rest their souls
The list of 16 names has been released....hope your friends are not amongst them .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/7979475.stm
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacScot
The list of 16 names has been released....hope your friends are not amongst them .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/7979475.stm
I dont know any on them but im sure some of the guys on here will. sad.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:02 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Not strictly applicable, but fitting none the less...

ON A SAILOR'S GRAVE, NO ROSES GROW, NO GRASS, NO STONE TO SHOW
THE RESTING PLACE THAT WILL ALWAYS BE, HIS BILLET IN THE SEA
THE SILENT SHARK STANDS WATCH, FOR ALL ETERNITY
SO LONELY HE WILL NEVER BE, IN THAT BILLET IN THE SEA
Old Apr 11th 2009, 7:44 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Initial report out reveals cause....

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/late...per.5163237.jp
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:30 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MacScot
Initial report out reveals cause....

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/late...per.5163237.jp
gearbox failure... nothings stops your heart quicker than watching the blood drain from the pilot's face and hearing him say "we're making metal"
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:01 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Aberdeen at a standstill yesterday for the memorial service.....

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1173021
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that is terrible.....can't even begin to think how they must have felt...may god have mercy on their souls and give strength to their families.
My most heartfelt condolences.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:23 am
banned

Its not the first and it won't be the last.

When you take into account the amount of flights daily from aberdeen to all the north sea rigs, accidents like this a bound to happen periodically.

For guys that work offshore, its a risk that you factor into your decision making when chosing your career.

I'm so glad I don't go offshore anymore (for the time being anyway) as it was the chopper ride that I hated the most.

I read somewhere that you are more likely though to be hit by a bus in Hakney than be in a north sea helicopter incident.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:12 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by commander
Its not the first and it won't be the last.

When you take into account the amount of flights daily from aberdeen to all the north sea rigs, accidents like this a bound to happen periodically.

For guys that work offshore, its a risk that you factor into your decision making when chosing your career.

I'm so glad I don't go offshore anymore (for the time being anyway) as it was the chopper ride that I hated the most.

I read somewhere that you are more likely though to be hit by a bus in Hakney than be in a north sea helicopter incident.
Cool. So if I visit Hackney and survive a road crossing, I should be safe as houses in a North Sea chopper..

But seriously, only offshore work I did was O/s KSA.. Less qualified pilots, dubious servicing etc.. but at least you can last for longer than 5 minutes in teh Gulf....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.