British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Helicopter crash in the north sea (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/helicopter-crash-north-sea-601251/)

commander Apr 1st 2009 3:55 pm

Helicopter crash in the north sea

apparently 10 dead 6 missing.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...FxLhfG6rbS_7dw

:(:(

Roadking Apr 1st 2009 3:59 pm

Re: Helicopter crash in the north sea

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7442208)

Saw that on news. 6 missing means, by the minute, their chances get less. I feel for the families.

MacScot Apr 1st 2009 4:05 pm

There was about a month ago...it's going to cause more anguish amongst all oil production personnel who travel this way, which is most of them, as well as their families and friends :(

I know that 'knot in the stomach feeling' well when I visited 188 platforms off the coast of Saudi Arabia using helicopters for about 40 of them...the rest I visited by tender vessel.

commander Apr 1st 2009 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7442246)
There was about a month ago...it's going to cause more anguish amongst all oil production personnel who travel this way, which is most of them, as well as their families and friends :(

I know that 'knot in the stomach feeling' well when I visited 188 platforms off the coast of Saudi Arabia using helicopters for about 40 of them...the rest I visited by tender vessel.

i know that feeling well also..having worked offshore in the north sea,

i hate the helo trip out/back to beach.

poor buggers

MataHari Apr 1st 2009 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7442295)
i know that feeling well also..having worked offshore in the north sea,

i hate the helo trip out/back to beach.

poor buggers

I used to make the crewlists for the helicopters to go out to the North Sea platforms from Den Helder airport ages ago, and have been out a few times myself as well, thankfully there was never an accident during the time I did that job...but whenever I read about these things I can imagine all to well what it must be like...

commander Apr 1st 2009 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7442326)
I used to make the crewlists for the helicopters to go out to the North Sea platforms from Den Helder airport ages ago, and have been out a few times myself as well, thankfully there was never an accident during the time I did that job...but whenever I read about these things I can imagine all to well what it must be like...

yea agree, i imagine when the guys get the 'brace brace brace' or 'standby for ditching'

terifying.

ps ive been to den helder many a times..loads of dodgy strip clubs there near the navy base

Jeeper Apr 1st 2009 4:33 pm

What makes a heli ride out to a rig scarier than normal?
Helicopters are great fun.

shakh your bootie Apr 1st 2009 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7442326)

You used to hold down a regular job, MH???? You never cease to surprise me.......

I designed an underwater helicopter escape trainer once for the MOD - wierd, they train their guys to try and get out of an upside down replica of the cockpit.... Didn't look like much fun.....

shakh your bootie Apr 1st 2009 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7442349)
yea agree, i imagine when the guys get the 'brace brace brace' or 'standby for ditching'

terifying.

ps ive been to den helder many a times..loads of dodgy strip clubs there near the navy base

Oh. Is that where MH was working??????

MataHari Apr 1st 2009 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7442353)
You used to hold down a regular job, MH???? You never cease to surprise me.......

yeah...I worked for oilcompanies for years, surrounded by rough guys...what more can a girl like me want...and it gave me a good knowledge of English...

commander Apr 1st 2009 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7442350)
Helicopters are great fun.

Colin McRae and his son thought so, as did that Chelsea owner...

travelling on a helicopter in the north sea is not fun Jeeper, trust me.

heavy rain, heavy winds, getting buffeted really badly by crosswinds when attempting to land on a helo pad.

its not a nice experience

shakh your bootie Apr 1st 2009 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7442360)
yeah...I worked for oilcompanies for years, surrounded by rough guys...what more can a girl like me want...and it gave me a good knowledge of English...

Ah yes, you show great experience of the english tongue, my dear....

commander Apr 1st 2009 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7442353)

I designed an underwater helicopter escape trainer once for the MOD - wierd, they train their guys to try and get out of an upside down replica of the cockpit.... Didn't look like much fun.....

been on one of these at the dunker training at RNAS yeovilton.

getting out with the lights off, when the thing has spun around 5-6 times is a wierd experience. and that is when you know their is an air pocket at the top and safety divers around. for real, it doesnt bear thinking.

MataHari Apr 1st 2009 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7442372)
Ah yes, you show great experience of the english tongue, my dear....

that as well...

Jeeper Apr 1st 2009 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7442363)
Colin McRae and his son thought so, as did that Chelsea owner...

travelling on a helicopter in the north sea is not fun Jeeper, trust me.

heavy rain, heavy winds, getting buffeted really badly by crosswinds when attempting to land on a helo pad.

its not a nice experience

so the weather then.
Surely that's not such a big issue from saudi?