Health Insurance

Old Jun 14th 2015, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of
Default Health Insurance

And so now as my time in the Middle East draws to a close my company (school) have informed me that once my visa is cancelled my health insurance is cancelled too. Unfortunately I will not be flying until a week later and really don't want to be without health insurance. Has anybody purchased a week's cover over here before? Of could recommend a company to go with. Thanks in advance
Old Jun 14th 2015, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by silversilver
And so now as my time in the Middle East draws to a close my company (school) have informed me that once my visa is cancelled my health insurance is cancelled too. Unfortunately I will not be flying until a week later and really don't want to be without health insurance. Has anybody purchased a week's cover over here before? Of could recommend a company to go with. Thanks in advance
No, but I'm sure it won't be that expensive. Can you ask your employer to just keep it open for a week longer?

Failing that, can you ask them to get a cost for you to keep it open a week longer with the same company etc?
Old Jun 14th 2015, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scamp
No, but I'm sure it won't be that expensive. Can you ask your employer to just keep it open for a week longer?

Failing that, can you ask them to get a cost for you to keep it open a week longer with the same company etc?
Thanks for the quick reply Scamp - no school say they can't keep it open once they cancel my visa but that's maybe a good idea trying with the same company for a week.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 10:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thanks for the quick reply Scamp - no school say they can't keep it open once they cancel my visa but that's maybe a good idee trying with the same company for a week.
It won't be too expensive I don't think. Keeping in mind that I've just had mine downgraded to a not-as-good provider and have been able to retain the better medical for 395 a month.

I'd be amazed if you can't get good tourist / travel medical insurance for a few hundred dizzers.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot buy cover for just a week. It doesn't make financial sense for a provider so it is not offered.

Even if you take out a plan where you pay monthly, you are supposed to pay for a full year and certainly will have to if a claim is made. See comment re financials in previous paragraph.

As has been suggested, far better that your employer extends your cover for a week until you leave, although they may have to postpone cancellation of your visa for another week. The cost will be small for them and although you aren't supposed to pay for it yourself you may be able to come to a private arrangement with them.

You could try speaking to the insurance company to extend cover - depending on who it is - but it is likely that you will have to pay for another full month.

Note also, that under the new DHA rules, you need to have residency to arrange cover.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Meow thank you so much for this - can I arrange cover now while I have residency or would it still be not valid after my visa is cancelled as I don't think I am going to have any joy with my employer.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Meow thank you so much for this - can I arrange cover now while I have residency or would it still be not valid after my visa is cancelled as I don't think I am going to have any joy with my employer.
You can - but at a price. You could end up paying for a year.

In addition all individual plans have to be medically underwritten at outset so it takes time.

I don't think anyone should be without cover but if you are returning to the UK, you wouldn't really need cover for illnesses, just in case of emergency so a government health card might be enough in the event of accident as you can then use government hospitals.

You need to have a valid visa to apply and technically to be treated but I think application is what matters most.

https://www.dha.gov.ae/EN/ServiceCat...ndividual.aspx
Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks I am going to do this - I'm actually quite upset about this as Touch wood in the three years I've been here I've never used my insurance - I just don't want to chance fate in the last week.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:53 am
Bored liberal

I saw your final meal options and nowhere looks too dodgy so you should be fine.

Good luck.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a thought.

The week between the cancellation of your visa and when you leave the UAE you are pretty much a 'tourist' so why not get a travel insurance that covers emergency health care for that week?
Old Jun 15th 2015, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Is is ok to do this?
Old Jun 15th 2015, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Meow! I am going to miss so much about Dubai, especially the eating!
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately its catch twenty two... you have to be resident to get cover from here... you are not... you are not resident in uk so you cannot get an online one... so unfortunately you cannot get any sort of travel/health insurance.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by busybee2
unfortunately its catch twenty two... you have to be resident to get cover from here... you are not... you are not resident in uk so you cannot get an online one... so unfortunately you cannot get any sort of travel/health insurance.
Whilst I don't doubt you could probably be right, I can't believe that this situation is so unusual that there is no form of cover.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:18 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by busybee2
She doesn't need a UK plan and there are options for people without residency. International plans are available. No need to scaremonger, especially when you don't have the facts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.