Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

He touched a policewoman on the shoulder! Stone him!

He touched a policewoman on the shoulder! Stone him!

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: He touched a policewoman on the shoulder! Stone him!

Originally Posted by Millhouse
After getting an absolute roasting in Washington by a police guy for accidentally jay-walking, I know make a point of always jay-walking.

There will be more to this story... on both sides of the coin.
Of course there's more. The article seems to say he started shoving male coppers around. I'm sure there'll be lots of lies too.

Jay walking is weird, if the road is empty, cross it.

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
When do you think you will grow up so you can go?
Not sure mate. I'm genuinely unsure as to whether I'll ever grow up. Or has it happened and I don't know and I'm just kidding myself?

Who knows. Anyway, I've got FIFA to play. **** working.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Even by Dubai standards this is pathetic.

Tourist arrested for touching Dubai policewoman

The man touched the policewoman on the shoulder to get her attention and then later on her hand. She has had a hissy fit and the poor sod could be imprisoned for six months and deported.

Total waste of court time and she needs to harden up as this was not an assault. Presumably she chose to join the police force so should be rather more worldly.

Cases like this make Dubai look utterly ridiculous and backward.
maybe she joined so she could drive one of the ridiculous number of Supercars the police here have bought
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
maybe she joined so she could drive one of the ridiculous number of Supercars the police here have bought
And you never see on the roads. I have never yet seen a copper pull anyone over. Just parked up at the side of the road to set up another mobile speed camera.
With nearly 3 million speeding fines issued last year (700k more than 2013) I don't think its working as a deterrent.
More than 2.98 million fines issued by Dubai police in 2014 | GulfNews.com
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:06 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt mind chatting up a dame in a uniform if she is receptive enough you know, but tbh most uniformed women are usually ice queens, so I am not surprised that he got such a reaction
and by the by, it really is a very very tough life for women in this part of the world to be able to work in a man's field (police, armed forces etc), especially in a muslim country, i have an aunt who is a colonel so I know. There is a very very fine line that the woman must walk at ALL times, just a bit too friendly and she is automatically hounded and damned if she puts out and damned if she doesnt put out, she will be labeled a slut. Too much of an ice queen and she probably will always be last in line for everything, from half decent postings to deputations and promotions etc, because she would be too busy making sure she is ice cold to everyone. So yeah, it really is quite difficult for women in the armed forces, specially in muslim countries.
So what I am trying to say is, this sort of reaction from her, while not to be commended, is sort of in a weird way, is understandable, because it is an automatic reflex which when she probably sat down and thought about it would have seemed trivial to her later
anyway, maybe the bloke was not one with achingly good looks like mine, so she just thought wth man!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:54 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I asked a cop in New York if I could hold his gun for a photo. He laughed, said no and then bollocked me for jay-walking.

But he was 'approachable' I guess...
Had a few beers with Thai cops, with guns on the table. Thought I might be getting set up for a drink driving rap down the road. After 3 large bottles one of the junior officers suggested to the boss that he thought I had had enough. The boss called my wife to say that I was with them and would be a bit later home than to be expected. Fetched me a glass of water and told me to finish the bottle and then I would have to be on my way. Got to love Thai cops. So bent it's great.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Had a few beers with Thai cops, with guns on the table. Thought I might be getting set up for a drink driving rap down the road. After 3 large bottles one of the junior officers suggested to the boss that he thought I had had enough. The boss called my wife to say that I was with them and would be a bit later home than to be expected. Fetched me a glass of water and told me to finish the bottle and then I would have to be on my way. Got to love Thai cops. So bent it's great.
That's ****ing brilliant. I love stuff like that. I know what you mean about the nervousness though. We were drinking across the road from Dad's place in Crete. The owner of the restaurants mate was hammered (we all were), cops were with us drinking (merry, over the limit but not pissed). All of them got into cars to drive home.

I was astounded, Dad pointed out that in a little village all the police care about are drugs coming in and Albanians.

Lovely Policewoman in Southampton stopped me because I was carrying a tinny to the area with the bars, group of us. She stopped us all and said we can't drink on the street. So, instead of making us pour away, she organised a race to down your drink, chuck in the bin and get back.

Quality policing.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Got the Mrs to stop a policeman in Kazakhstan so I could get a photo with him. Love the huge Soviet style hats they wear.
She really didn't want to do it and was scared of his reaction, but I pushed her and she asked him. It absolutely made the guys day. He was so happy that someone from the west wanted a photo taken with him. The Mrs was shocked
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:32 am
Account Closed

Got the Mrs to stop a policeman in Kazakhstan so I could get a photo with him. Love the huge Soviet style hats they wear.
She really didn't want to do it and was scared of his reaction, but I pushed her and she asked him. It absolutely made the guys day. He was so happy that someone from the west wanted a photo taken with him. The Mrs was shocked
Why didn't you ask? (Just out of interest)
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why didn't you ask? (Just out of interest)
I don't speak Russian or Kazakh.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:58 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Small town called Azzemour (sounds great, but impossible to tell the difference between the C15th ruins and the rest of the town) with a stretch of dual carriageway which joins onto a national highway: caught by a mobile speed camera in the central reservation, Cop No 1 (stereotypical Moroccan—burly, huge ‘tache, big grin) was so pleased to meet an Ingleezee and have the opportunity to use his English that when he spotted a member of his extended family approaching in the fast lane, he flagged her down and the 3 of us proceeded to have a 15-minute chat, with her parked in the fast lane—her husband was from Sheffield. Cop No 2 still relieved me of 300 Dirhams.

Been stopped 5 times: 2 fines receipted, 2 pocketed, 1 protracted stand-off at 3am with much jabberring into walkie-talkies which had me really worried considering consumption, wrong passport and company—eventually they lost interest, either that or took sympathy on me for my appalling French.

My former local watering hole had two semi-resident coppers, both regularly drove home legless. Although I’ve stopped doing it now, my rationale (which I still hold to be valid) for driving pissed was that even pissed I’m safer than 99% of the other drivers here when they’re sober. But my daughter shamed me into better ways.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:08 am
Account Closed

I don't speak Russian or Kazakh.
Posted my question then thought - bet his mrs can speak the language.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Although I’ve stopped doing it now, my rationale (which I still hold to be valid) for driving pissed was that even pissed I’m safer than 99% of the other drivers here when they’re sober. But my daughter shamed me into better ways.
Good. I'm missing a cousin because he drove drunk.

Morocco sounds cool though, I'd love to go.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Good. I'm missing a cousin because he drove drunk.

Morocco sounds cool though, I'd love to go.
Sorry to hear that. The driving here is awful, but thankfully without the aggression of the UAE.

Yeah, you should try it. Marrakech is enchanting. This is T-shirt weather, with the snow-capped Atlas mountains an hour's drive away...

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Sorry to hear that. The driving here is awful, but thankfully without the aggression of the UAE.

Yeah, you should try it. Marrakech is enchanting. This is T-shirt weather, with the snow-capped Atlas mountains an hour's drive away...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7wRJDAxitbXfYw
Sorry, that was a bit brutally honest / open. Anyway, I want to play golf there. Right now. Even with my terrible driving at the moment.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:42 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7wRJDAxitbXfYw
That looks fantastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.