Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

He touched a policewoman on the shoulder! Stone him!

He touched a policewoman on the shoulder! Stone him!

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default He touched a policewoman on the shoulder! Stone him!

Even by Dubai standards this is pathetic.

Tourist arrested for touching Dubai policewoman

The man touched the policewoman on the shoulder to get her attention and then later on her hand. She has had a hissy fit and the poor sod could be imprisoned for six months and deported.

Total waste of court time and she needs to harden up as this was not an assault. Presumably she chose to join the police force so should be rather more worldly.

Cases like this make Dubai look utterly ridiculous and backward.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:57 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: He touched a policewoman on the shoulder! Stone him!

Originally Posted by Meow

Cases like this make Dubai look utterly ridiculous and backward.
they do seem to actually try to look mad at times.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

At least it's made it to the news. They'll hate that.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:23 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

He should think himself lucky, in the States he would have been shot 6 or 7 times.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

While the level of potential punishment and the fact they pursued it at al is daft l, tapping police officers on the shoulder when they're dealing with someone else doesn't seem like it'd be a very good idea anywhere.

Is there such a thing as a police caution here? Or does everything go straight to DEFCON 1 defamation/molestation?

Last edited by Cypselos; Apr 22nd 2015 at 10:41 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Dumbo
He should think himself lucky, in the States he would have been shot 6 or 7 times.

Originally Posted by Cypselos
While the level of potential punishment is daft, tapping police officers on the shoulder when they're dealing with someone else doesn't seem like it'd be a very good idea anywhere.
True, to be honest, I just wouldn't touch anyone....mainly because I absolutely don't want to be touched by anyone else.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

When my other half, who grew up in the States and Oz first moved to London she was so delighted that you could just go up to police officers and ask them to be helpful without shit hitting the fan that she added talknig to a copper about the time/directions/having a photo taken to itinerary of things to show other Australians when they came over
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cypselos
When my other half, who grew up in the States and Oz first moved to London she was so delighted that you could just go up to police officers and ask them to be helpful without shit hitting the fan that she added talknig to a copper about the time/directions/having a photo taken to itinerary of things to show other Australians when they came over
I asked a cop in New York if I could hold his gun for a photo. He laughed, said no and then bollocked me for jay-walking.

But he was 'approachable' I guess...
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 11:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I asked a cop in New York if I could hold his gun for a photo. He laughed, said no and then bollocked me for jay-walking.

But he was 'approachable' I guess...
Somewhere I have a photo from 20 years ago of a girlfriend and me in NYC posing with a bunch of smiling cops. They were happy to comply but we were a pair of not-unattractive Brits girl who asked nicely.

We'd end up hanging around Penn Station in the small hours to get a train out to LI after clubbing but were perfectly safe, even back then, as we just hung around with the NY cops. They even bough us donuts and coffee.

My brother who lives there was non too impressed by any of it.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Somewhere I have a photo from 20 years ago of a girlfriend and me in NYC posing with a bunch of smiling cops. They were happy to comply but we were a pair of not-unattractive Brits girl who asked nicely.

We'd end up hanging around Penn Station in the small hours to get a train out to LI after clubbing but were perfectly safe, even back then, as we just hung around with the NY cops. They even bough us donuts and coffee.

My brother who lives there was non too impressed by any of it.
I get the impression the NYPD officers hanging around Times Square are either newbies trying to impress or old boys who just want an easy life. Maybe it's a reward?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 11:49 am
Bored liberal

I get the impression the NYPD officers hanging around Times Square are either newbies trying to impress or old boys who just want an easy life. Maybe it's a reward?
No idea. This was on Houston Street, downtown. There used to be some cool bars there.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 11:59 am
Account Closed

No idea. This was on Houston Street, downtown. There used to be some cool bars there.
I've never been to the states as a grown up. Last time I was 15 I think.

Desperately keen to go back though, I like them and I think you could spend a long time going around the whole country having a ball.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

After getting an absolute roasting in Washington by a police guy for accidentally jay-walking, I know make a point of always jay-walking.

There will be more to this story... on both sides of the coin.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 12:42 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

When do you think you will grow up so you can go?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 12:43 pm
Bored liberal

Desperately keen to go back though, I like them and I think you could spend a long time going around the whole country having a ball.
There's a lot to see but you'd probably want to limit your time in the fly-over states unless you love spending time with narrow-minded rednecks and farmers. My brother still lives in NY state and even in the one state there's lots to see and do. Much of Long Island is really nice and it's worth getting out of Manhattan.

Shame it's so damn far away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.