British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Having a Heart Attack (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/having-heart-attack-808964/)

scot47 Sep 11th 2013 6:18 pm

Having a Heart Attack

A new experience and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 11th 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Having a Heart Attack

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10896348)
A new experience and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

Take care of yourself. Glad you're on the mend

Irishbeekeeper Sep 11th 2013 7:22 pm

Good on ya mate, hope your better now.

Boomhauer Sep 11th 2013 7:26 pm

What does it feel like (pain wise) to have a heart attack?

OleJanx Sep 11th 2013 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10896449)

That's a bit of an intrusive question, along the same lines as 'what does a kick in the balls feel like?'

Boomhauer Sep 11th 2013 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10896516)
That's a bit of an intrusive question, along the same lines as 'what does a kick in the balls feel like?'

Well, I've had 2 kidney stones in the last 2 years and that is excruciating pain, the kind that makes me want to grab my backside. Not good at describing it but there are different types of pain, like muscle spasms, burning, headaches etc.., so was wondering what a heart attack is like.

The Dean Sep 11th 2013 9:16 pm

I once knew a guy who had a heart attack.

He's dead now.

redShark Sep 11th 2013 11:30 pm

A new expeandence and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

I do Hope you get well northerner. Goes to remind us that life is a real bitch

Dorothy Sep 11th 2013 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10896449)

It varies from person to person. Some people say it feels like an elephant sitting on their chest and others say it's more a backache that radiates to their jaw and arms. Sometimes it feels like indigestion or like when you've got a really bad chest cold and your lungs feel full. (I work in a large teaching hospital's cardiology department)

flares Sep 12th 2013 4:19 am

speedy recovery Scot 47 and lay off the deep fried Mars Bars

jam25mack Sep 12th 2013 4:31 am

I read somewhere that if you think you are having a heart attack you are meant to keep coughing (for as long as you can and as deep as you can get) as this 'can' stop the attack and shock you heart into a normal rhythm. Could be bollocks tho.

nonthaburi Sep 12th 2013 5:12 am

good you lived to tell the tale, speedy recovery to ya !

Beakersful Sep 12th 2013 5:26 am

You're supposed to enjoy your retirement. Stay fit and enjoy the single malts.

Blue Cat Sep 12th 2013 5:27 am

A new expeandence and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

glad you lived to tell us the tale! get well soon :)

weasel decentral Sep 12th 2013 5:44 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10896516)
'what does a kick in the balls feel like?'

At first nothing, then slowly a sickening pain creeps in until you want the nearest weapons-bearing person to shoot you.
Things get steadily worse from here, until the pain reaches a crescendo, almost matching the heights of laughter of any nearby males.
Several days later the tenderness and ghost pangs leave your groin area, however the psychological scars remain for years. An unnerving exposed and vulnerable feeling that lingers in the mind, and causes empathetic pain when seeing anyone similarly struck down.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 12th 2013 5:50 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10897062)
At first nothing, then slowly a sickening pain creeps in until you want the nearest weapons-bearing person to shoot you.
Things get steadily worse from here, until the pain reaches a crescendo, almost matching the heights of laughter of any nearby males.
Several days later the tenderness and ghost pangs leave your groin area, however the psychological scars remain for years. An unnerving exposed and vulnerable feeling that lingers in the mind, and causes empathetic pain when seeing anyone similarly struck down

This is the key bit, the pain rescinds to a dull ache (but a bad one), doesn't sound too bad? No, you feel sick for hours, can't eat, can't drink, struggle to stand up straight.

Crippling.

10x worse than childbirth. How do I know? No man has ever asked to be kicked in the nuts again.

scot47 Sep 12th 2013 9:49 am

I always imagined a heart attack to be like that scene at the end of Dr Zhivago where the hero is running for the tram and BAZOOMBA, he drops down dead.

My experience was not as dramatic. Chest pain like bronchitis and some nausea.

weasel decentral Sep 12th 2013 11:15 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10897291)
I always imagined a heart attack top be like that scene at the end of Dr Zhivago where the hero is running for the tram and BAZOOMBA, he drops down dead.

My experience was not as dramatic. Chest pain like bronchitis and some nausea.

We are all too young to remember Dr Zhivago ;) anyhow get better soon

britexpat76 Sep 12th 2013 11:45 am

Glad you are well. My uncle had one a few weeks ago and said it was like chronic indigestion - a few stents later inserted in the wrist and he was out 2 days later. Remarkable

shiva Sep 13th 2013 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Morning Breeze (Post 10898778)
It was 3am on a cold night in March of this year. I was in Utah driving home from Las Vegas and I started to sweat, I stuck my head out the window but got no relief. I had a dull yet debilitating pain in my chest and it was gettin worse..I pulled over at a gas station in Green River, found some aspirin and took a handful right on the spot, no water or nothing. I chewed em up and got a cup of coffee and got back on the road, smoked a little weed and it went away.

So I went to the doctor's a few days after I got home and a new doctor was there. A 28 year old chinese girl, she did an EKG on me and my heart was fine, she said it definately wasn't a heart attack. Then she said "now I have to look at your feet" and she gets down with her head between my legs and puts a hand on each foot, after a few awkward minutes I asked her how they were looking and she says "good"..She gets up after a long time and asks me If I like her. I know she asks me this because I previously had told every doctor there that I didn't like them.. We hit it off real good and there were a bunch of messages on my house phone when I got home- I never returned them but she wanted me to come back so I did a few weeks later- She did some blood tests, and we talked for about an hour and then she did the foot thing again, this time longer..For ten minutes, and she says "youre feet look great, really great"..She just touches them for 10 minutes or so..She asks why I didn't return her calls and takes my cell phone number- She starts calling me a few times a week..all the time about the blood tests- every things good but she's a little concerned about this or that..I've been back 4 times this summer and we never talk about anything medical, she always does the foot thing and always asks me if I like her, and tells me I'm her favorite patient. We sit so close when we talk that I think she's about to kiss me. She's practically on my lap. Last week I bought her some paper work for a 3 month paid leave of absence from work and she was more than happy to sign it, she told me to write whatever I want and she'll sign it.....On the way out she asked me If I liked her, and I said "no, I love you".
I'm supposed to see her October 28, but she called today saying she needs to see me sooner. I didn't even ask why- I think its a foot fetish

Best doctor ever!

In an Internet full of the mentally deranged you really are up there as the most mental person I've ever encountered online.

In absolute all seriousness you need help, proper psychiatric help.

Ronnie Biggs Sep 13th 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10898811)
In an Internet full of the mentally deranged you really are up there as the most mental person I've ever encountered online.

In absolute all seriousness you need help, proper psychiatric help.

He's quite funny at times though.

shiva Sep 13th 2013 6:41 am

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10898825)
He's quite funny at times though.

Oh he's the bored jester, self appointed and highly amusing in his insanity

seven seas Sep 13th 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10897021)
I read somewhere that if you think you are having a heart attack you are meant to keep coughing (for as long as you can and as deep as you can get) as this 'can' stop the attack and shock you heart into a normal rhythm. Could be bollocks tho.

If it is bollocks then it's a disaster because the last thing you see will be people laughing at you for believing it.

mikewot Sep 13th 2013 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10897021)

Complete bollocks http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/coughcpr.asp

OleJanx Sep 13th 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10899233)

Hmmm...Snopes....

Patsy Stoned Sep 13th 2013 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10897066)
This is the key bit, the pain rescinds to a dull ache (but a bad one), doesn't sound too bad? No, you feel sick for hours, can't eat, can't drink, struggle to stand up straight.

Crippling.

10x worse than childbirth. How do I know? No man has ever asked to be kicked in the nuts again.

OleJanx Sep 13th 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10899582)

Robin Williams used to joke that no man knows what it is like to go into labour unless he's opened an umbrella up his own arse or passed a bowling ball.
I have no idea on either of these options, but personal experience of kidney stones was far from fun.

Boomhauer Sep 13th 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10899608)
I have no idea on either of these options, but personal experience of kidney stones was far from fun.

Passed Kidney stone last year and year before, around spring time. Was told by the Emergency room nurse and the resident ER doctor that it is similar in pain to childbirth. It certainly was the most intense gut wrenchy pain I've had soo far; woulda been f$%ked if not for strong dose of painkillers (the maximum dosage allowed by law)

OleJanx Sep 13th 2013 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10899613)
Passed Kidney stone last year and year before, around spring time. Was told by the Emergency room nurse and the resident ER doctor that it is similar in pain to childbirth. It certainly was the most intense gut wrenchy pain I've had soo far; woulda been f$%ked if not for strong dose of painkillers (the maximum dosage allowed by law)

Mistress 'M' took the more acute pain away for me.

Bahtatboy Sep 13th 2013 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10899616)
Mistress 'M' took the more acute pain away for me.

Sister, surely.

OleJanx Sep 13th 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10899659)
Sister, surely.

No, quite definitely Mistress - if you take the slightest advantage, she will cost you everything you own, including your self esteem and all your possessions.

Bahtatboy Sep 14th 2013 8:31 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10899786)
No, quite definitely Mistress - if you take the slightest advantage, she will cost you everything you own, including your self esteem and all your possessions.

Here I lie in my hospital bed
Tell me, sister morphine, when are you coming round again?
Oh, I don't think I can wait that long
Oh, you see that Im not that strong

The scream of the ambulance is sounding in my ears
Tell me, sister morphine, how long have I been lying here?
What am I doing in this place?
Why does the doctor have no face?

Oh, I can't crawl across the floor
Ah, can't you see, sister morphine, Im trying to score

Well it just goes to show
Things are not what they seem
Please, sister morphine, turn my nightmares into dreams
Oh, can't you see Im fading fast?
And that this shot will be my last

Sweet cousin cocaine, lay your cool cool hand on my head
Ah, come on, sister morphine, you better make up my bed
Cause you know and I know in the morning I'll be dead
Yeah, and you can sit around, yeah and you can watch all the
Clean white sheets stained red.

(m. jagger/k. richards/m. faithfull)

:D

Eeyore Sep 19th 2013 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10899546)
Hmmm...Snopes....

Not sure what point you're trying to make, since what Snopes says about the "cough while having a heart attack" thing is 100% correct.

Randy Bender Sep 22nd 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10896773)
I do Hope you get well northerner. Goes to remind us that life is a real bitch

No it isn't.