British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Having a Heart Attack (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/having-heart-attack-808964/)

scot47 Sep 11th 2013 6:18 pm

Having a Heart Attack

A new experience and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 11th 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Having a Heart Attack

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10896348)
A new experience and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

Take care of yourself. Glad you're on the mend

Irishbeekeeper Sep 11th 2013 7:22 pm

Good on ya mate, hope your better now.

Boomhauer Sep 11th 2013 7:26 pm

What does it feel like (pain wise) to have a heart attack?

OleJanx Sep 11th 2013 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10896449)

That's a bit of an intrusive question, along the same lines as 'what does a kick in the balls feel like?'

Boomhauer Sep 11th 2013 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10896516)
That's a bit of an intrusive question, along the same lines as 'what does a kick in the balls feel like?'

Well, I've had 2 kidney stones in the last 2 years and that is excruciating pain, the kind that makes me want to grab my backside. Not good at describing it but there are different types of pain, like muscle spasms, burning, headaches etc.., so was wondering what a heart attack is like.

The Dean Sep 11th 2013 9:16 pm

I once knew a guy who had a heart attack.

He's dead now.

redShark Sep 11th 2013 11:30 pm

A new expeandence and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

I do Hope you get well northerner. Goes to remind us that life is a real bitch

Dorothy Sep 11th 2013 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10896449)

It varies from person to person. Some people say it feels like an elephant sitting on their chest and others say it's more a backache that radiates to their jaw and arms. Sometimes it feels like indigestion or like when you've got a really bad chest cold and your lungs feel full. (I work in a large teaching hospital's cardiology department)

flares Sep 12th 2013 4:19 am

speedy recovery Scot 47 and lay off the deep fried Mars Bars

jam25mack Sep 12th 2013 4:31 am

I read somewhere that if you think you are having a heart attack you are meant to keep coughing (for as long as you can and as deep as you can get) as this 'can' stop the attack and shock you heart into a normal rhythm. Could be bollocks tho.

nonthaburi Sep 12th 2013 5:12 am

good you lived to tell the tale, speedy recovery to ya !

Beakersful Sep 12th 2013 5:26 am

You're supposed to enjoy your retirement. Stay fit and enjoy the single malts.

Blue Cat Sep 12th 2013 5:27 am

A new expeandence and not one I specially enjoyed. It was combined with pneumonia it could have sent me off to the great Forum in the Sky, but it did not ! Got out of hospital today and will soon be doing battle again in cyberspace

glad you lived to tell us the tale! get well soon :)

weasel decentral Sep 12th 2013 5:44 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10896516)
'what does a kick in the balls feel like?'

At first nothing, then slowly a sickening pain creeps in until you want the nearest weapons-bearing person to shoot you.
Things get steadily worse from here, until the pain reaches a crescendo, almost matching the heights of laughter of any nearby males.
Several days later the tenderness and ghost pangs leave your groin area, however the psychological scars remain for years. An unnerving exposed and vulnerable feeling that lingers in the mind, and causes empathetic pain when seeing anyone similarly struck down.