Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Having children in Dubai

Having children in Dubai

Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having children in Dubai

Originally Posted by pauldxb
Probably just easier to fly back to London.
it doesnt always happen like that..... but technically now you will have to pay for any treatment on the nhs as you are not resident, its not free you know if you are non-resident.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:03 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

ach thats for the kids to work out. I had mine in SEAsia because, well, they both came earlier than the due date, and I was working full time (my contract that took us out there) so going "back home" to the UK with no actual home wasn't really an option.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busybee2
it doesnt always happen like that..... but technically now you will have to pay for any treatment on the nhs as you are not resident, its not free you know if you are non-resident.
I am aware of that. That is not an issue, it's more about what's more practical
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is nearly three months pregnant so we are looking at various hospitals we did consider going back to London. We are also looking at various local hospitals, namely American and city hospital.

A british friend of mine said that under UK law if I have the child here then their children (ie my grandchild) wont automatically receive British citizenship... is this true??

Help appreciated
We used city hospital and couldn't really fault it too much, some shoddy nurses but the majority were pretty bloody good. They have a very good nicu which unfortunately my son needed and having had that experience its a question I would ask of any hospital you are considering. If they dont have the nicu beds available then if the shit hits the fan you will need to move hospitals and this is NOT something you want to do. On that note you should register with Latifa hospital now as if you need to use them in a hurry and aren't registered it will become a massive ball ache at a time when you really don't need it.

Re citizenship, my understanding is that if a child born as an expat has a child abroad then that child is not automatically British. Pain in the ass but not an insurmountable one.

As for returning to the UK i have to say the treatment and care my wife received here was better than she would have received in many nhs trust regions so think carefully as a lot of it is postcode luck in the UK nowadays.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shiva
We used city hospital and couldn't really fault it too much, some shoddy nurses but the majority were pretty bloody good. They have a very good nicu which unfortunately my son needed and having had that experience its a question I would ask of any hospital you are considering. If they dont have the nicu beds available then if the shit hits the fan you will need to move hospitals and this is NOT something you want to do. On that note you should register with Latifa hospital now as if you need to use them in a hurry and aren't registered it will become a massive ball ache at a time when you really don't need it.

Re citizenship, my understanding is that if a child born as an expat has a child abroad then that child is not automatically British. Pain in the ass but not an insurmountable one.

As for returning to the UK i have to say the treatment and care my wife received here was better than she would have received in many nhs trust regions so think carefully as a lot of it is postcode luck in the UK nowadays.

Thanks for the tips, to be fair City hospital was my first choice. Regards to the UK I have a great international health care policy so we could use the Portland in London if necessary. The issue with going back to the UK is that my wife would have to go back around after 7.5 months which is not ideal for me but in all honesty its all about making her feel relaxed
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Our first child was born here and we'll have our second one here in 6 weeks. As Shiva pointed out, some of the nurses are ****wits, but otherwise a far better experience than I would have imagined.

I hadn't given much thought to my grand-children's citizenship. My son is already diluted with being half Brazilian and half British, along with being born in foreign territory. I would assume that his children are screwed then.

Not my problem I guess
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Not my problem I guess
Bingo.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Our first child was born here and we'll have our second one here in 6 weeks. As Shiva pointed out, some of the nurses are ****wits, but otherwise a far better experience than I would have imagined.

I hadn't given much thought to my grand-children's citizenship. My son is already diluted with being half Brazilian and half British, along with being born in foreign territory. I would assume that his children are screwed then.

Not my problem I guess
True...
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

True...
Actually, a link or 2 into the one posted shows;

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...erseascitizen/

while they do mention it's at their discretion, if your grand child was to be born in the UAE, then they probably would give UK citizenship since your child would not be eligible for citizenship of the UAE.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is nearly three months pregnant so we are looking at various hospitals we did consider going back to London. We are also looking at various local hospitals, namely American and city hospital.

A british friend of mine said that under UK law if I have the child here then their children (ie my grandchild) wont automatically receive British citizenship... is this true??

Help appreciated

If both parents are UK domiciled with British nationality, your child will be British too and you should have no problem getting a passport. Loads of people have children here (it's practically a hobby for some) in the same circumstances and it's not an issue.

As for your grandchilden (planning ahead much??) that depends on your children, where they are resident and who they marry. Nothing you can do anything about at this time.

Never listen to friends in pubs...
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
If both parents are UK domiciled with British nationality, your child will be British too and you should have no problem getting a passport. Loads of people have children here (it's practically a hobby for some) in the same circumstances and it's not an issue.

As for your grandchilden (planning ahead much??) that depends on your children, where they are resident and who they marry. Nothing you can do anything about at this time.

Never listen to friends in pubs...
LOL.... thanks Meow

The issue was really with my potential grandchildren. Odds are we will be back in the UK then
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:04 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Help appreciated
My children are in that position . UK citizenship is only passed down one generation . If the child has a baby with a born in the UK national it doesn't matter where in the world the baby is born as the grandchild could take UK citizenship from the other parent .
If your child's other half was not born in the UK British, then for the grandchild to be British they would have to be born in the UK .

Hope that makes sense .
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:18 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

just read some of your later posts . I thought your wife was not British . It now seems that she is so it's not an issue . Your child will be British automatically from both parents . I may be wrong but I'm sure as a 100% percent British person that they can then pass on their citizenship even though they weren't born in the UK . I always though it was only an issue when only one of the parents ( you and your wife ) was British .
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
just read some of your later posts . I thought your wife was not British . It now seems that she is so it's not an issue . Your child will be British automatically from both parents . I may be wrong but I'm sure as a 100% percent British person that they can then pass on their citizenship even though they weren't born in the UK . I always though it was only an issue when only one of the parents ( you and your wife ) was British .
my children will be ok but should they have children outside the UK then they may not automatically receive british citizenship
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

my children will be ok but should they have children outside the UK then they may not automatically receive british citizenship
What if and maybe. That's up to them and there's nothing you can do about it, so no point in worrying about it. Your child won't even be born for another six months.

Save your concerns for issues you can do something about.

Now, can we help you with potential names? I think BE posters would be terrific at that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.