British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   have you become more cynical after moving to the ME? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/have-you-become-more-cynical-after-moving-me-771820/)

Meow Sep 17th 2012 8:48 am

have you become more cynical after moving to the ME?

I'm fairly confident of the answer here...

the_red_sheep Sep 17th 2012 8:54 am

Re: have you become more cynical after moving to the ME?

I from the North East of Scotland, we're the most cynical, dour, tight, grumpy people alive regardless of our geographical location.

shiva Sep 17th 2012 8:57 am

after 12 years in Aberdeen i find this place refreshing

co durham boy Sep 17th 2012 9:04 am

Yes , i find it's a trait to prepare you for the almighty fu** up that's usually just round the corner !

kittycat1 Sep 17th 2012 9:06 am

Yes absolutely yes, cynical in ways i didnt even think you could be cynical! Cynical about everything! I have actually changed my name to Miss Cynical from Cynicalsville

mikewot Sep 17th 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10284701)
I from the North East of Scotland, we're the most cynical, dour, tight, grumpy people alive regardless of our geographical location.

Fit? See me I'm jist an awfa fine loon, ken?

weasel decentral Sep 17th 2012 9:15 am

No change in cynicism for me, if anything I am becoming less cynical.

The cause of cynicism would have to be that you don't trust the outward appearance and look for the hidden motives, no need to do this when no one tries to hide their greed/manipulation/influence etc

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 17th 2012 9:26 am

I was cynical in the UK

I'm definitely a bit worse here though.

britexpat76 Sep 17th 2012 9:40 am

I've always been cynical. Comes with the job I do and the general idiots in the population that like to waste your time.

The Dean Sep 22nd 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10284691)
I'm fairly confident of the answer here...

Cynical about what? The attitude and behaviour of locals? The motives people have for being here? Working environments?

I am an eternal optimist in life, and nothing I find here is going to change that. I suppose, after twenty years in the region, I can afford to be a bit more sanguine about things.........

Meow Sep 22nd 2012 1:59 pm

Just generally.

You are not particularly cynical. I don't think I am either. Many people however, both on BE and in the real world, see only negatives in everything.

Theseus Sep 22nd 2012 3:18 pm

Well moaning is a national pastime for Brits so its not unexpected to see them moaning on here. It doesn't mean we are all negative all the time but an internet forum is a great place for a bit of a rant about things which you probably wouldn't want to say in the real world because of politics, delicacy or just because you would rather not hurt someone's feelings or lose your job because of something you just want to get off your chest.

On the original question I am not more cynical here and I am not cynical in general in fact I'm probably far too naive and trusting to be cynical.

OleJanx Sep 22nd 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10294284)
Well moaning is a national pastime for Brits so its not unexpected to see them moaning on here. It doesn't mean we are all negative all the time but an internet forum is a great place for a bit of a rant about things which you probably wouldn't want to say in the real world because of politics, delicacy or just because you would rather not hurt someone's feelings or lose your job because of something you just want to get off your chest.

On the original question I am not more cynical here and I am not cynical in general in fact I'm probably far too naive and trusting to be cynical.

Rather not hurt someone's feelings? No, never had that problem. I was much more fired up by just wanting to hurt someone.

Alexa Sep 22nd 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10294284)

I was naive and trusting when I came to the ME...still am in some ways...and paying for it every time...:eek:

Theseus Sep 22nd 2012 3:38 pm

I prefer it that way - I don't get disappointed that often to make it worth being any different. If I do get disappointed I deal with it and move on...mostly lol