Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Haunting Photographs from the Somme

Haunting Photographs from the Somme

Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:50 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Haunting Photographs from the Somme

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...r-1984325.html
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Re: Haunting Photographs from the Somme

me and a group of friends went to the somme a couple of years ago for Rememberance day. It is something I will never forget and I would urge people to go one day if they can.

Just to see the gravestones of soldiers from all around europe is truly humbling.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:58 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Most war graves are really moving. Stayed in Alexandria for a while, visited the British, Italian and German memorials between there and the Libyan border. Chilling.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of our war cemeteries around the world have fallen into disrepair (overgrown with weeds, broken gravestones, etc). I once heard of a charity that raises money for their upkeep but I can't remember what its name was.

You can sometimes read quite moving reports of, say, an elderly spinster who has looked after some unnamed RAF pilot's grave for over 60 years, or whatever.

My little angels have never been to the cemeteries in France; I must make a point of taking them.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:34 am
Hit 16's

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission is still going, looking after 23,000 sites in over 150 countries. On a budget of GBP 45 million. No wonder some are falling into disrepair.

http://www.cwgc.org/content.asp?menu...gures&menu=sub