British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Has anyone on here left there immediate family behind in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/has-anyone-here-left-there-immediate-family-behind-uk-526855/)

jason4004 Apr 4th 2008 5:09 pm

Has anyone on here left there immediate family behind in the UK?

Just wondering if anyone on here will be leaving behind there loved ones, wife kids etc to go and work in the UAE? It will be emotionally extremely difficult and wonder how one handles such a thing?

ScotsExpat Apr 4th 2008 5:11 pm

Re: Has anyone on here left there immediate family behind in the UK?

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6159465)
Just wondering if anyone on here will be leaving behind there loved ones, wife kids etc to go and work in the UAE? It will be emotionally extremely difficult and wonder how one handles such a thing?

I have..... but, then again, they are used to me buggering off for months at a time, so have become inured to it.........

Karlos The Jackal Apr 4th 2008 5:12 pm

Not yet but come June I intend to !!!!!!:thumbsup:

Joking apart, I have worked all over the UK and it is hard leaving the wife and kids, but you get used to it !

Hopefully they will be joining me in August, lock stock and barrel so its not that long for me !

jason4004 Apr 4th 2008 6:57 pm

Well I have lived all over the UK but a 7.5 hour flight to the Middle east is a liitle different. Everyone is asleep in UAE so I wish you all a good sleep - I'm just starting my weekend folks!

nottmbantam Apr 4th 2008 8:25 pm

To start with, I'll be coming out to KSA on my own,leaving my wife at home, with her daughter ( my step daughter ).

My two kids don't live with me anyway, they live with their mum, so I've been used to not seeing much of them anyway, and have always missed them so nothing new there.Planning on coming back in the mid summer so wife and step daughter will be coming out with me then.

The first few months on my own in a new country will possibly be the hardest but also the biggest adventure.

Blue Cat Apr 5th 2008 6:54 am

did you speak to your Company about getting a visa for your stepdaughter? I can't remember if you told me or not :confused:

Coxy the Bear Apr 5th 2008 9:53 am

Yep, I left the wife behind. Easy to one to deal with, divorcing her! As for my Mum, I can get back easily if I need too and my Dad lives in Spain, so that's not hard. To be honest, it's my mates I miss most, but that's what passports are for!

MissDemeanor Apr 5th 2008 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear (Post 6162411)
Yep, I left the wife behind. Easy to one to deal with, divorcing her! As for my Mum, I can get back easily if I need too and my Dad lives in Spain, so that's not hard. To be honest, it's my mates I miss most, but that's what passports are for!

..and im sure they miss you too..aaah.

nottmbantam Apr 5th 2008 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6161994)
did you speak to your Company about getting a visa for your stepdaughter? I can't remember if you told me or not :confused:

They advised me that I would need a letter from her father giving his approval and consent, for her to travel with me. Went to a solictors, got it all done and sorted by a notary public, and cost me £70 for the privilege :blink:

One letter consisting of a few lines...:mad:

MataHari Apr 5th 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6159465)

most people start an affair...

jason4004 Apr 5th 2008 3:44 pm

Speaking from experience MM?

MataHari Apr 5th 2008 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6163585)
Speaking from experience MM?

oh...you are not cheating material I can tell straight away...calling MH MM is so not good....

jason4004 Apr 5th 2008 3:48 pm

I meant you MH! Typo.

MataHari Apr 5th 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6163605)
I meant you MH! Typo.

you should know better than to ask those sort of questions...

jason4004 Apr 5th 2008 3:55 pm

I'll leave it at that - we all have our dirty little secrets!