Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Harsh sentences.............?

Harsh sentences.............?

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Harsh sentences.............?

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I expect that standard differs between those who just saw this on the news and those who lost their livelihoods in the riots.

My fathers business used to regularly suffer from vandalism, being on a busy road. I've lost count of the amount of times he had to replace shop windows or have graffiti removed. For those who say 'it's insured' - you are ****ing braindead - policies are affected.

Believe me, when you work 6am to 7pm for 45 years then have to fork out to repair vandalism you will soon reassess your 'minimum standard'.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I expect that standard differs between those who just saw this on the news and those who lost their livelihoods in the riots.

My fathers business used to regularly suffer from vandalism, being on a busy road. I've lost count of the amount of times he had to replace shop windows or have graffiti removed. For those who say 'it's insured' - you are ****ing braindead - policies are affected.

Believe me, when you work 6am to 7pm for 45 years then have to fork out to repair vandalism you will soon reassess your 'minimum standard'.
In the 1950s and early 60s my Dad had a barber shop in North London that catered to Afro hair and so had a lot of black working class men going there. He had his windows smashed in so many times over three years that no insurer would cover him. 'Lucky' for him his other businesses allowed him to cover the cost.

Yes, you are quite right - when you suffer from hooliganism for years your goal posts move quite significantly.

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Aug 22nd 2012 at 11:44 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

My fathers business used to regularly suffer from vandalism, being on a busy road.
Did he also suffer from too many customers, because of being on a busy road? Some businesses on quieter roads would happily trade places, in order to get more foot traffic past their door.

That's one of the many costs of business. Replacing windows. Stock loss. Vandalism.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
He had his windows smashed in so many times over three years that no insurer would cover him.
That's what happens when your customers are a minority that's hated by people who are upset that Britishness is under threat.

Just out of interest, did he ever catch you at it?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by seven seas
Did he also suffer from too many customers, because of being on a busy road? Some businesses on quieter roads would happily trade places, in order to get more foot traffic past their door.

That's one of the many costs of business. Replacing windows. Stock loss. Vandalism.
That all sounds pretty ****ing stupid to me.

"Oh, your shop is on a busy road, well you should expect to suffer vandalism, theft and other nastiness"

So, because I live in a tall tower in a big city, should I expect to be burgled or stabbed in a stairwell?

Idiot.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:51 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

No, he paid extortionate rates/taxes for that privilege. And funnily enough, the council/government never offered to pay for repairs after the property was vandalised.

Your argument is absolutely bonkers. How can you say a business should accept vandalism in order to have a good location?

I can only assume you live in some sort of utopia and have never been the victim of vandalism.

When you work long hours for a lifetime to provide the best you can for your family, and then have to pay out because some twat decides it is fun to put a brick through your shop window, harsh sentences would make a bitter pill slightly easier to swallow.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:58 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

That's what happens when your customers are a minority that's hated by people who are upset that Britishness is under threat.

Just out of interest, did he ever catch you at it?
Is this an attempt at a straw-man joke? A puerile means of digging your evident misunderstanding of my views on race, culture and nation by suggesting I would vandalise my own family's properly and livelihood?

Another example of the civillised man being ruder than the savage because the savage has to think carefully before speaking because his words may result in his head being caved in by a rock no doubt.

N.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
That all sounds pretty ****ing stupid to me.
It SOUNDS stupid, yet that's what actually happens.
The idiocy is in acting surprised when it happens. It isn't the way a society SHOULD be, or how I think it should be, but that's how it IS.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, he paid extortionate rates/taxes for that privilege. And funnily enough, the council/government never offered to pay for repairs after the property was vandalised.

Your argument is absolutely bonkers. How can you say a business should accept vandalism in order to have a good location?

I can only assume you live in some sort of utopia and have never been the victim of vandalism.

When you work long hours for a lifetime to provide the best you can for your family, and then have to pay out because some twat decides it is fun to put a brick through your shop window, harsh sentences would make a bitter pill slightly easier to swallow.

Harsh sentences, or appropriate sentences. I am actually not that impressed by the criminal justice system in the UK, it is clearly not working.

A restaurant with a huge number of diners would have to pay for more glasses broken. More tabelcloths stained. More wear and tear generally. Same principle. Who sets up a shop and plans things on the basis that nobody will steal anything, and everyone will pay on time? Nobody.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

So, because I live in a tall tower in a big city, should I expect to be burgled or stabbed in a stairwell?
Look at the stats for violent crime in inner-city tower blocks, and you get the answer. Keep expecting the entire world to go your way, and you end up looking like an idiot.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 11:13 am

Look at the stats for violent crime in inner-city tower blocks, and you get the answer. Keep expecting the entire world to go your way, and you end up looking like an idiot.
People pay taxes to prevent these things happening. If they do happen too often then we can see there are failures in the system...which is very clear in Britain.

People ask why they pay tax to see crime rise, civility decline, community decline, education fall, the unwilling to work being supported, asylum seekers who passed many safe countries to reach Britain and millions sent to countries in foreign aid that end up in the pockets of murderers and dictators.

It shouldn't happen. The system is rotten. We need a revolution.

N.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
It shouldn't happen. The system is rotten. We need a revolution.

N.

+1
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Are you being deliberately thick?

Yes the stats say that an inner city tower block might have more robberies than a village of same population in the Cotswolds, but does that mean I would live in the former and expect to be a victim of that crime?

Definitely not.

It works both ways though, I'd still have my home and contents insured if living in the latter.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the stats say that an inner city tower block might have more robberies than a village of same population in the Cotswolds, but does that mean I would live in the former and expect to be a victim of that crime?

Definitely not.
I disagree. Living in an inner city tower block I guarantee people take more precautions and are more wary against attacks, burglaries etc and thus do expect to be a victim of that crime.

Yes, of course there is crime in the Cotswolds (to use your example) but probably not as frequent or opportunistic.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I disagree. Living in an inner city tower block I guarantee people take more precautions and are more wary against attacks, burglaries etc and thus do expect to be a victim of that crime.

Yes, of course there is crime in the Cotswolds (to use your example) but probably not as frequent or opportunistic.
I don't ever expect to be the victim of a crime.

It's a sad state of affairs if you leave your house / business expecting to come back to it having been ransacked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.