British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Hard Shoulder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hard-shoulder-590974/)

Millsyisland Feb 12th 2009 9:03 am

Hard Shoulder

I was obviously taught wrong, but when I learned to drive, and from experience in the UK, I always though that the hard shoulder was an emergency lane, for breakdowns or emergency vehicles to use.

Of course this is not the case, it's actually an additional lane that can be used when traffic is heavy or blocked in the other lanes, and you're obviously in too much of a hurry to wait in the traffic like everyone else.

It helps if you drive a Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol too.:frown:

Beard Man Feb 12th 2009 9:14 am

Re: Hard Shoulder

maybe they are undercover local policemen lol

shiva Feb 12th 2009 9:16 am

please dont forget that this lane is to be used as a pick up or drop off point for minibuses echos and sunnys, indicating is not required for said collections or deliveries.

The lane may also be used occasionally as a picnic spot, prayer room, spitting spot or as a rest stop
n.b. if used as a rest stop it is mandatory to leave all your crap behind

please note: In sharjah this is in fact the 3rd, 4th, 5th or even 6th lane officially

MataHari Feb 12th 2009 9:19 am

as a non English person, I've always found that a bit of a strange term...hard shoulder...

Bison Feb 12th 2009 9:30 am

maybe they are undercover local policemen lol
Even if they are, surely they should be setting an example to the rest of the uneducated road users who will see this and copy it?

In the UK the police only use these lanes in emergencies, generally if the roads are impassable.

I have witnessed police vehicles here driving like idiots, under-taking cars, putting their sirens and lights on just because they want to get to the doughnut shop more quickly, they obviously aren't trained to a very high standard.

They need to start setting an expample to those who are less driver savvy in my opinion.

admon Feb 12th 2009 9:37 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7277293)
as a non English person, I've always found that a bit of a strange term...hard shoulder...

because its a hard area of road, on the shoulder of the carriageway..

TEFD teaching english as a foreign language for dutch...

Grace O Malley Feb 12th 2009 9:46 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7277284)
please dont forget that this lane is to be used as a pick up or drop off point for minibuses echos and sunnys, indicating is not required for said collections or deliveries.

The lane may also be used occasionally as a picnic spot, prayer room, spitting spot or as a rest stop
n.b. if used as a rest stop it is mandatory to leave all your crap behind

please note: In sharjah this is in fact the 3rd, 4th, 5th or even 6th lane officially

oh shiva i do love yr posts

Beard Man Feb 12th 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7277329)
Even if they are, surely they should be setting an example to the rest of the uneducated road users who will see this and copy it?

In the UK the police only use these lanes in emergencies, generally if the roads are impassable.

I have witnessed police vehicles here driving like idiots, under-taking cars, putting their sirens and lights on just because they want to get to the doughnut shop more quickly, they obviously aren't trained to a very high standard.

They need to start setting an expample to those who are less driver savvy in my opinion.

i was making fun dude :)

i know that some policemen are not following rules either.

there is a real problem with some people here and there are alot of reasons behind it.

let me give you an example of me :)

i started learning how to drive a car when i was in grade 4 (few lessons)

and i got my first car from my dad when i was in grade 9 (my brother bought him self a new car and i took his)

at that age i really didn't know anything about rules or how a person should behave on the road.

i got my licence at the age of 18 (or less) but even though i admit that i was a careless driver ... i remember that i used to drive my car above 220 every day to work ..

i was an idiot i admit that...

now when ever i see an idiot driving his car this way ... i just pray to god that he reaches his home safe...

1) I believe that the punishments in the past were not big enough to scare people (but now it is little bit better)

2) I believe that spoiling a child and giving him everything he wants can be dangrous sometimes.

3) i believe that roads in the past were not as crowded as today which adds more danger and therefore people should avoid driving carelessly.

BangleMan Feb 12th 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7277293)

if I said "harde schouder" would it make it any easier to understand ?

MataHari Feb 12th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7277530)
if I said "harde schouder" would it make it any easier to understand ?

no...but wegberm would

BangleMan Feb 12th 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7277542)
no...but wegberm would

but 'verge' is like a little grassy dip on the side of the road i.e. Dont drive too close to the wegberm