Hard Out Here

Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hard Out Here

Maybe it's about "the bigger the arse, the better the twerk" ?
I have no idea, I do not care for big butts or twerks/twerkers.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
As I said earlier "It's far from the worst culprit in the world of music videos, some of which are stunningly sexist and racist, but if irony was intended it doesn't work and for most this will be seen on the same level of all the videos Allen says she is parodying."
So, what we're saying is that it's as ironic as Alanis Morrissette's (sp) song of the same title?
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

This used to be on constant repeat in the Doha Ramada ( now Raddisson Blu) "Library" (drinking pit) Strange times indeed, but there again, I'm strange, so quite happy....
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think the biggest problem is that people go looking for issues.

Why is it acceptable for a rapper to release a song where the entire chorus is "my n****r" repeated over and over and over?

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, I just think that Morgan Freeman has a point;

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2TgyUEXUAM...man+Racism.jpg
Yeah Morgan Freeman knows soooooo much about racism.

Like all problems, if we just stop talking about it, it will just go away.

Apart from a stammer, what problems actually go away when you stop talking about them?
Old Nov 17th 2013, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

the entire chorus is "my n****r" repeated over and over and over?
We now say Gibson, not the N word (617 Sqdn). Oh and I personally loved the video, all ah dem biatches mon! Maybe it's cause I and I be black.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
We now say Gibson, not the N word (617 Sqdn). Oh and I personally loved the video, all ah dem biatches mon! Maybe it's cause I and I be black.
Subtle.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by seven seas
Yeah Morgan Freeman knows soooooo much about racism.

Like all problems, if we just stop talking about it, it will just go away.

Apart from a stammer, what problems actually go away when you stop talking about them?
You, hopefully.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

beccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nice

She made a statement about the dancer/racism issue http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rrk3og

Privilege,Superiority and Misconceptions

1. If anyone thinks for a second that I requested specific ethnicities for the video, they're wrong.

2. If anyone thinks that after asking the girls to audition, I was going to send any of them away because of the colour of their skin, they're wrong.

3. The message is clear. Whilst I don’t want to offend anyone. I do strive to provoke thought and conversation. The video is meant to be a lighthearted satirical video that deals with objectification of women within modern pop culture. It has nothing to do with race, at all.

4. If I could dance like the ladies can, it would have been my arse on your screens; I actually rehearsed for two weeks trying to perfect my twerk, but failed miserably. If I was a little braver, I would have been wearing a bikini too, but I do not and I have chronic cellulite, which nobody wants to see. What I’m trying to say is that me being covered up has nothing to do with me wanting to disassociate myself from the girls, it has more to do with my own insecurities and I just wanted to feel as comfortable as possible on the shoot day.

5. I'm not going to apologise because I think that would imply that I’m guilty of something, but I promise you this, in no way do I feel superior to anyone, except paedophiles, rapists murderers etc., and I would not only be surprised but deeply saddened if I thought anyone came away from that video feeling taken advantage of,or compromised in any way.

6. Ask the ladies yourselves @shalaeuroasia @monique_Lawz @ceodancers @TempleArtist @SelizaShowtime @melycrisp
Old Nov 18th 2013, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Twerk? Isn't that where Bahtat Boy goes everyday?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:19 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beccajoh
She made a statement about the dancer/racism issue http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rrk3og

Privilege,Superiority and Misconceptions

1. If anyone thinks for a second that I requested specific ethnicities for the video, they're wrong.

2. If anyone thinks that after asking the girls to audition, I was going to send any of them away because of the colour of their skin, they're wrong.

3. The message is clear. Whilst I don’t want to offend anyone. I do strive to provoke thought and conversation. The video is meant to be a lighthearted satirical video that deals with objectification of women within modern pop culture. It has nothing to do with race, at all.

4. If I could dance like the ladies can, it would have been my arse on your screens; I actually rehearsed for two weeks trying to perfect my twerk, but failed miserably. If I was a little braver, I would have been wearing a bikini too, but I do not and I have chronic cellulite, which nobody wants to see. What I’m trying to say is that me being covered up has nothing to do with me wanting to disassociate myself from the girls, it has more to do with my own insecurities and I just wanted to feel as comfortable as possible on the shoot day.

5. I'm not going to apologise because I think that would imply that I’m guilty of something, but I promise you this, in no way do I feel superior to anyone, except paedophiles, rapists murderers etc., and I would not only be surprised but deeply saddened if I thought anyone came away from that video feeling taken advantage of,or compromised in any way.

6. Ask the ladies yourselves @shalaeuroasia @monique_Lawz @ceodancers @TempleArtist @SelizaShowtime @melycrisp
Those are Lily Allens's words, but as I was saying earlier just because she did not intend to make a video that was sexist or racist, it doesn't mean than some people won't see it that way.

If she thinks that the objectification of women in popular music is wrong why have scantily clad dancers in her own video? Whatever the intent it is still perpetuating the stereotype.

Whilst Allen may see herself as a feminist trailblazer, most other people do not. She's just a 'singer' with a few opinions, mostly not very interesting ones. Her style of 'singing' with all the dropped consonants and glottal stops is just annoying anyway.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:24 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I had to google what a "twerk" was. Must be showing my age.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Those are Lily Allens's words, but as I was saying earlier just because she did not intend to make a video that was sexist or racist, it doesn't mean than some people won't see it that way.

If she thinks that the objectification of women in popular music is wrong why have scantily clad dancers in her own video? Whatever the intent it is still perpetuating the stereotype.

Whilst Allen may see herself as a feminist trailblazer, most other people do not. She's just a 'singer' with a few opinions, mostly not very interesting ones. Her style of 'singing' with all the dropped consonants and glottal stops is just annoying anyway.
Agree with you regarding the counterintuitive nature of women bemoaning the objectification of women whilst actively and shamelessly participating in doing just that.

Disagree with you about things being racist even though there is no intention of them being racist simply because somebody decides it is. Offence being taken at something that was unintentional usually, but not always, says more about the offendee (is that a word?) than it does about the offender.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:33 am
Account Closed

If she thinks that the objectification of women in popular music is wrong why have scantily clad dancers in her own video? Whatever the intent it is still perpetuating the stereotype..
Just playing devils advocate here and not really disagreeing with you, but if she's being ironic and making a song and video poking the finger at a certain situation and someone decides that it's still offensive and XYZ-ist then that is surely their problem?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoohoo
Agree with you regarding the counterintuitive nature of women bemoaning the objectification of women whilst actively and shamelessly participating in doing just that.

Disagree with you about things being racist even though there is no intention of them being racist simply because somebody decides it is. Offence being taken at something that was unintentional usually, but not always, says more about the offendee (is that a word?) than it does about the offender.

If someone feels something is racist, to them in particular, even if no offence was intended then perhaps it is? Who is to say what is and isn't racist? I'm not arguing one way or another, just putting forward the argument that things are not always as we see them. Sometimes there is just thoughtlessness and that isn't the same as being offensive, but it's a complicated world.

In respect of your first point - that's most women's magazines and the Daily Mail all over.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:17 am
Bored liberal

Just playing devils advocate here and not really disagreeing with you, but if she's being ironic and making a song and video poking the finger at a certain situation and someone decides that it's still offensive and XYZ-ist then that is surely their problem?
Perhaps?

I just fail to see how she is being ironic by perpetuating the stereotype.

Some people like to shock/cause 'offence' etc to get attention, especially those with careers in the public eye.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.