British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Hangovers over here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hangovers-over-here-530986/)

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 12:42 pm

Hangovers over here

Seem much, MUCH worse - is it just me??

I was out yesterday watching the Toon game at the Irish Village, I managed to get bladdered drinking stella and sambucas, I was out from 4.30 til 9.30 and I could hardly see straight this morning,

and of course, no bacon sarnie to help me along on the way to work :frown:

Are they worse over here? If so why?

Madam Medusa Apr 21st 2008 12:45 pm

Re: Hangovers over here

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242400)

I was out yesterday watching the Toon game at the Irish Village, I managed to get bladdered drinking stella and sambucas, I was out from 4.30 til 9.30 and I could hardly see straight this morning,

it'll be cos you're a LOT more dehydrated here...

MM, xx

Chris79 Apr 21st 2008 12:45 pm

I thought this was going to say they weren't as bad over here. I think the air conditioining helps plus the fact I sweat most of it out!

Am I the only one like this, reading some of the later posts!

Cry haddock Apr 21st 2008 12:47 pm

Always extra dehydration (ac), often bad beer, not so easy/wise for post pub grub when bladdered. Having said that, Stella and Sambucas - what did you expect to happen? :-)

Inselaffen Apr 21st 2008 12:50 pm

go to make sure you drink plenty of water during the session.
its only gonna get worse now the cool weather is starting to leave us!

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6242418)
it'll be cos you're a LOT more dehydrated here...

MM, xx

hmmm, even in a pub with AC?

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 6242437)
Always extra dehydration (ac), often bad beer, not so easy/wise for post pub grub when bladdered. Having said that, Stella and Sambucas - what did you expect to happen? :-)

aye I know, I've only been out a few times over here and I've got horrendouly twatted each time, mrs spugsy hasn't been too impressed, I can tell you.

Madam Medusa Apr 21st 2008 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242459)
hmmm, even in a pub with AC?

yeah, ac is very dehydrating...you should drink a lot more water over here as a matter of course...

MM, xx

Bonny Boy Apr 21st 2008 1:34 pm

I also find that for similar quantities of beverage, the effects are much worse here, and in other warm climates I have lived in, than compared with the UK.

I have heard talk that preservatives (formaldehyde?) are used to help keep the beverage in the heat.

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6242677)
yeah, ac is very dehydrating...you should drink a lot more water over here as a matter of course...

MM, xx

I've had sunstroke the last 2 weeks I've played football, we play at 1.30 on a friday afternoon, even with 2 litres of water drank in an hour, when I get home I pretty much pass out on the sofa.

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 6242685)
I also find that for similar quantities of beverage, the effects are much worse here, and in other warm climates I have lived in, than compared with the UK.

I have heard talk that preservatives (formaldehyde?) are used to help keep the beverage in the heat.

well the stella didn't taste like it did back home thats for sure.

shiva Apr 21st 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242702)
we play at 1.30 on a friday afternoon, .

no bloody wonder!!!! try at 4.30 would be easier. oh and dont be doing this in August......you'll melt :D

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6242727)
no bloody wonder!!!! try at 4.30 would be easier. oh and dont be doing this in August......you'll melt :D

yeah the lads are talking about playing at 4 in future, this friday was unreal, I had to hide in the shade and almost fell asleep afterwards, as one of them says 'only mad dogs and englishmen play in this heat'.

jvr20 Apr 21st 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242746)
yeah the lads are talking about playing at 4 in future, this friday was unreal, I had to hide in the shade and almost fell asleep afterwards, as one of them says 'only mad dogs and englishmen play in this heat'.

in Hong Kong they sound the gong and fire off the noonday gun!

jrudofsky Apr 21st 2008 2:10 pm

Bit late to this....but i'm with Spugsy! So much worse! Unless tolerance has gone down because I don't drink 6 nights a week like back in the UK (although not loads each night).

After a school night Barasti session last night, I came back to find the sofa bed made up for me and have a horrible recollection of knocking on the flat above's door at 2am in boxer shorts before realising it wasn't mine (I think i had even been back in my flat before going out again). Felt horrific after that, come to think of it Sambuca was involved then too!