Handyman

Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Handyman

Quick question Shiva / others...

Law on tyres? Changed every 2 years? 3 years?

Mine still look alright but are Oct '10 production date (I appreciate they could have been on the car only when I bought it in Feb this year, but just wondered).

BTW I'm not changing them myself.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:37 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Quick question Shiva / others...

Law on tyres? Changed every 2 years? 3 years?

Mine still look alright but are Oct '10 production date (I appreciate they could have been on the car only when I bought it in Feb this year, but just wondered).

BTW I'm not changing them myself.
no idea what the actual law is and i suspect its probably not adequate anyway but they have a three year life cycle here and if you have any sense of safety that's a pretty solid line.
The UV light and climate really degrade the rubber here much faster than elsewhere. Old tyres are the cause of many of the blowouts you see here.

In terms of age you are still ok but I'd do a proper check, visually inspect all of them both outside and the inside surface, (yes scamp you may get dirty getting on the ground to look under the vehicle ) feel all the surfaces looking for worn spots or odd bumps, buldges or other signs of damage, if any are found just replace it. Many times blow outs are detectable and preventable long before they happen. Also inspect the valves for signs of damage.

With your explorer you have an area of rubber in contact with the ground that's about the size of a couple of fags packets per wheel if in doubt change them. As for doing it yourself, hell no, not all four at once that's just masochism. besides getting a tyre of the rim and a new one on is a bitch.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by shiva
no idea what the actual law is and i suspect its probably not adequate anyway but they have a three year life cycle here and if you have any sense of safety that's a pretty solid line.
The UV light and climate really degrade the rubber here much faster than elsewhere. Old tyres are the cause of many of the blowouts you see here.

In terms of age you are still ok but I'd do a proper check, visually inspect all of them both outside and the inside surface, (yes scamp you may get dirty getting on the ground to look under the vehicle ) feel all the surfaces looking for worn spots or odd bumps, buldges or other signs of damage, if any are found just replace it. Many times blow outs are detectable and preventable long before they happen. Also inspect the valves for signs of damage.

With your explorer you have an area of rubber in contact with the ground that's about the size of a couple of fags packets per wheel if in doubt change them. As for doing it yourself, hell no, not all four at once that's just masochism. besides getting a tyre of the rim and a new one on is a bitch.
Cool, I'll have a proper feel and look.

They are alright looking tread wise, hairline cracks (not deep) on the wall where the tread meets the side of the tyre.

Still feels alright, but noticed recently they look a bit flatter than they have in a while - is this just the change in temp?

Cheers
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:52 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, I'll have a proper feel and look.

They are alright looking tread wise, hairline cracks (not deep) on the wall where the tread meets the side of the tyre.

Still feels alright, but noticed recently they look a bit flatter than they have in a while - is this just the change in temp?

Cheers
tread isn't usually an issue here unless you drive like a ***********

cracks can be an issue depending on where they are and how severe. if the sidewall is all cracked and the rubber flaky then immediately replace the tyre, if there is an odd buldge then its a weak spot in the side wall that may well blow out when the tyre is under load/stress.

They will be flatter now its cooler, check you tyre pressure, correct level will be in the manual or on the side wall but for you it will be in the low to mid 30's psi probably. correct pressures are vital for proper car control, breaking and fuel efficiency.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
tread isn't usually an issue here unless you drive like a ***********

cracks can be an issue depending on where they are and how severe. if the sidewall is all cracked and the rubber flaky then immediately replace the tyre, if there is an odd buldge then its a weak spot in the side wall that may well blow out when the tyre is under load/stress.

They will be flatter now its cooler, check you tyre pressure, correct level will be in the manual or on the side wall but for you it will be in the low to mid 30's psi probably. correct pressures are vital for proper car control, breaking and fuel efficiency.
I've always been hot on tyre pressure and making sure I buy decent tyres and check them regularly since I had a blowout in my first car (for no real reason other than it was just a cheap tyre...).

Thanks for help. Will have a good poke and feel later.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Law is 3 years. After 2 years (or three summers) you will see light cracking. Replace when you think the cracking looks too much/ they buldge etc.

I just did mine. 2.5 years on the car, the production date probably made them closer to 3 years.

check pressures every 5000km... ish.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:13 am
**** it we'll do it live

I've always been hot on tyre pressure and making sure I buy decent tyres and check them regularly since I had a blowout in my first car (for no real reason other than it was just a cheap tyre...).

Thanks for help. Will have a good poke and feel later.
there is always a reason for a blow out, always

enjoy your poke
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:22 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would have got a man in for that job.
Anything involving ladders, I always get a woman in to do it ;-)
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Law is 3 years. After 2 years (or three summers) you will see light cracking. Replace when you think the cracking looks too much/ they buldge etc.

I just did mine. 2.5 years on the car, the production date probably made them closer to 3 years.

check pressures every 5000km... ish.
Cool.

Cheers big man.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

why get your hands dirty and do a job wrong and end up wasting a full day when you can pay someone to do it in less time, to a better quality and you can enjoy your day rather than falling out with the wife because you have done it wrong!

I had to put some curtain rails up last week and they are wonky as anything! Must note to self that the cheapest drill in Carrefour is not always the best option!!!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
why get your hands dirty and do a job wrong and end up wasting a full day when you can pay someone to do it in less time, to a better quality and you can enjoy your day rather than falling out with the wife because you have done it wrong!
Oi! We all knew that, but I assumed there was some tacit, intuitive agreement that it wouldn't be said. You've let the bloody cat out of the bag now