British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Halfway through 2011. How has it been for you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/halfway-through-2011-how-has-been-you-723772/)

Meow Jul 6th 2011 5:44 am

Halfway through 2011. How has it been for you?

So we're six months into this year. How has it been for you so far?

Family medical issues means I am giving the first six months just 6/10, but I'm optimistic for the second half.

shiva Jul 6th 2011 6:06 am

Re: Halfway through 2011. How has it been for you?

my son being born in April pretty much makes the year an 11/10 regardless of anything else.

getting him a passport though is a -11/10 thanks to the **** nuggets in the FCO

ctfc Jul 6th 2011 9:04 am

Bucket of shite is overflowing. Bucket of cash emptying rapidly. Still only slightly homicidal this morning but may deteriorate.

:thumbdown:

Shiva - many congrats, kids are the best ever :)

The Dean Jul 6th 2011 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 9478311)
Bucket of shite is overflowing. Bucket of cash emptying rapidly. Still only slightly homicidal this morning but may deteriorate.

:thumbdown:

Shiva - many congrats, kids are the best ever :)

Otherwise OK?

ctfc Jul 6th 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9478401)

Otherwise OK?

Yeah, otherwise fine. Thanks for asking.

Tillybean Jul 6th 2011 11:07 am

Started off okay, has gone downhill rapidly, culminating in the death of a very good friend yesterday.

Norm_uk Jul 6th 2011 11:29 am

I'm still breathing so everything is fantastic.

I could use more time in a hot tub with a few playboy playmates but I don't want to seem negative.

N.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2011 11:45 am

Been good.

Left a great job in the UK for a good job out here, have loved being here and have managed to grow my savings significantly already.

I've got the mrs moving out to look forward to and then my old man is coming to see me out here too, which i can't wait for. Throw in a mates wedding in September, sisters wedding in October and I reckon the second half could trump the first.

Tillybean; thoughts are with you. Keep your chin up.

Paracletus Jul 6th 2011 12:14 pm

First 6 months get about a x/10, but the prospects are looking to be 27/10 for the remainder of the year for numerous reasons. Greatest achievement of the year is not having any friends or family die or commit suicide so far..that gets a bit tiresome. Ooo..and moving back to civilization so I can actually continue enjoying life rather than 'saving' for old age..sheesh..what a concept.

My condolences TillyBean. I had 2 friends die in October last year within days of each other.

kittycat1 Jul 6th 2011 1:33 pm

Touch wood I've had a very good year so far- I'd go 9 out of 10. :thumbsup: Feeling very content at the moment. All very positive stuff happening and feeling pretty in control of my life for now. Fingers crossed it continues :fingerscrossed:

Paracletus Jul 6th 2011 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9478827)
Touch wood I've had a very good year so far- I'd go 9 out of 10. :thumbsup: Feeling very content at the moment. All very positive stuff happening and feeling pretty in control of my life for now. Fingers crossed it continues :fingerscrossed:

Control is over-rated and very misleading. But feeling good is good enough! :wub:

kittycat1 Jul 6th 2011 1:42 pm

Paracletus- I agree to a certain extent, however Im a control freak and it is pretty much the first time in my life I have felt in control of all teh aspect s of my life and like things are going as they should be- financially, career wise, personal life(ish). I'm enjoying my time to myself, and am taking positive steps in alot of the areas of my life, anyway its all good :D like I said for now I feel quite content.

Blue Cat Jul 6th 2011 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9477987)

Family medical issues means I am giving the first six months just 6/10, but I'm optimistic for the second half.

all good 10/10 :thumbup:

Hello.Kitty Jul 6th 2011 1:48 pm

Hmmm... possibly a 6/10 for the Kitty Household - we've had a rollercoaster ride of epic proportions this last 6 weeks, but it then it seems to have been resolved by entering the Twilight Zone and balanced by steady progress in my Cake Empire, coupled with a rather surprisingly high grade for my last MA assignment which redefined "winging it".

I think "epic" actually sums up a lot of this year so far...

Morecambe Mindy Jul 6th 2011 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9477987)

All was going swimmingly until yesterday, now after some news back from Blighty, I'm not quite as excited to be going back for 2 weeks in August.... bloody families!

lullabelle Jul 6th 2011 2:10 pm

Started off great, went really shite, was fine, shiter, stressy, fine, shitey, stressy, looking up, stressy, expensive...

I've had better years but I've not had such an exciting year for a long time.

Plus, having gone through a really traumatic end 2009/frst half 2010 due to my boy's health problems this one does actually seem much better...

I'd give it a surprising 6 or 7 out of 10 - not bad for a year which saw me become unemployed in a (very) strange land.

I really hope the rest of the year whips back up an 8/9. I could do with one of those. If two things come off (fingers crossed) then I really think it will be.
:fingerscrossed:

Ronnie Biggs Jul 6th 2011 2:23 pm

I'm going to give it a 5 but I'm currently sitting on an 8 and feeling much more content than I did for 90% of the first half of the year. I wouldn't fancy doing the last 6 months again but on the basis of what doesn't kill you....and all that crap, I reckon I'm the better for having gone through it and sorted a few things out along the way. High hopes for the next 6 months - let's hope the excrement doesn't hit the fan in Bahrain again and screw it all up!

The Dean Jul 6th 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9478855)
all good 10/10 :thumbup:

No it isn't. There's always room for improvement.

Oyibopeppeh Jul 6th 2011 6:22 pm

Compared with this time last year in Libya.... 10/10

Compared with 2 years ago in Nigeria....3/10

Horses for courses. Things work here - like the electricity, the water, the roads are good etc, but everything is so false, temporary or manufactured to their ideal.

littlejimmy Jul 6th 2011 6:40 pm

A bit like lullabelle's. At least I've found a job again, although I might have to work in Hitchin. Wherever the **** that is.

The Dean Jul 6th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9479364)
A bit like lullabelle's. At least I've found a job again, although I might have to work in Hitchin. Wherever the **** that is.

It is near Luton.

Avoid.

littlejimmy Jul 6th 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9479373)
It is near Luton.

Avoid.

Ooh, that's Norm territory.

The Dean Jul 7th 2011 1:58 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9479531)
Ooh, that's Norm territory.

And The Dean territory.............

nogoingback Jul 7th 2011 3:09 am

4-10. Lost a good friend in a car accident. Hating it in Doha currently. Family not happy with me.
Getting on the beer too much.
Wife and kids leaving soon for Ramadan. But at least they are healthy.

Oh yes and no chance of England winning World Cup in NZ.

The Dean Jul 7th 2011 3:38 am

Originally Posted by nogoingback (Post 9480188)
4-10. Lost a good friend in a car accident. Hating it in Doha currently. Family not happy with me.
Getting on the beer too much.
Wife and kids leaving soon for Ramadan. But at least they are healthy.

Oh yes and no chance of England winning World Cup in NZ.

No chance?

A mediocre England reached the final four years ago - this squad is much stronger....... separate thread I think?

Ethos83 Jul 7th 2011 10:36 am

On 1 January did I have any expectations that six months later I would be living in London, working as a corporate stooge and taking regular work trips to corporate hotels across Europe?

No.

But its worked out great so far. It has been a catalyst year in terms of earning power and future prospects. Reuniting with old friends, dating again and all that.

So, 8 out of 10.

co durham boy Jul 7th 2011 12:32 pm

Pretty good for me , apart from being in Qatar that is.

littlejimmy Jul 7th 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9480088)
And The Dean territory.............

Even scarier!

Eva Jul 8th 2011 4:12 pm

Same same

Autonomy Jul 8th 2011 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 9483380)

Eva - is that really you...?