British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   gyms that warn women not to lift heavy weights.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gyms-warn-women-not-lift-heavy-weights-659397/)

Patsy Stoned Mar 15th 2010 4:19 am

gyms that warn women not to lift heavy weights....

.... could be prosecuted under new equality laws.

"says that insinuating a woman might not be able to lift the same size weights as men could be considered 'unlawful sex discrimination'."
it is not an insinuation..it is a fact

'A general stereotype about men and women is that in terms of physique, most men are stronger than most women." err....that is because it is true, unless the woman is a bodybuilder!

The code goes on to say that it will not be seen as an excuse if the motive of the gym staff is to help a woman or save her from injury.

FFS!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lity-laws.html

Jeeper Mar 15th 2010 4:59 am

Re: gyms that warn women not to lift heavy weights....

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8420186)
.... could be prosecuted under new equality laws.

"says that insinuating a woman might not be able to lift the same size weights as men could be considered 'unlawful sex discrimination'."
it is not an insinuation..it is a fact

'A general stereotype about men and women is that in terms of physique, most men are stronger than most women." err....that is because it is true, unless the woman is a bodybuilder!

The code goes on to say that it will not be seen as an excuse if the motive of the gym staff is to help a woman or save her from injury.

FFS!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lity-laws.html

It's daft anyway.

Men shouldn't lift weights that are too heavy for them either.

There is no need for such signage......is no one born with common sense anymore?

Patsy Stoned Mar 15th 2010 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8420247)
It's daft anyway.

Men shouldn't lift weights that are too heavy for them either.

There is no need for such signage......is no one born with common sense anymore?

Everybody should be assessed when they 1st start at a gym, regardless of their sex.

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2010 6:09 am

You're all getting sucked in--don't believe it, it was in the Daily Mail FFS!

Jeeper Mar 15th 2010 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8420286)
Everybody should be assessed when they 1st start at a gym, regardless of their sex.

So in that assessment how do you advise someone what weight to lift without inadvertantly telling them not to lift heavier weights and therefore being in breach of the regulations.:blink:

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2010 6:35 am

We all need to lift heavier weights: heavier than we've lifted before, because that's how to make our muscles respond. There's a formula for determining your 1RM (one-rep maximum), based on how many times you can lift a given weight (you don't want to try a 1RM generally, coz the chance of injury is great). That's what should be done on a 1st assessment--purely objective, nothing to do with gender. And then the weight you lift should be gradually increased.

And we ALL need to lift! Ladies too:eek: It protects the joints, stops atrophy (without resistance training you'll lose about 1/2 lb of muscle each year after your late 20's), increases blood flow to all parts (thereby promoting cell repair, as well as numerous other benefits--guys, take note), releases endorphins and testosterone (which both genders need), improves posture, and so on.

Take a look at www.transformation.com. And they're real people, too!

The Dean Mar 15th 2010 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8420357)
So in that assessment how do you advise someone what weight to lift without inadvertantly telling them not to lift heavier weights and therefore being in breach of the regulations.:blink:

Good point..........

............ and what if, say, a husband and wife try to lift identical weights, and the husband has no problem, but the wife injures herself? Can she sue because the gym failed to advise her that it might not be a good idea to try to lift the same weight as a man?

Wouldn't blame her.

lionheart Mar 15th 2010 6:44 am

Hey Deano, who is your Avatar? It looks like the Mission Impossible guy. Did he die?

seven seas Mar 15th 2010 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8420333)
You're all getting sucked in--don't believe it, it was in the Daily Mail FFS!

what he said

shiva Mar 15th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8420377)

And we ALL need to lift! Ladies too:eek: It protects the joints, stops atrophy (without resistance training you'll lose about 1/2 lb of muscle each year after your late 20's), increases blood flow to all parts (thereby promoting cell repair, as well as numerous other benefits--guys, take note), releases endorphins and testosterone (which both genders need), improves posture, and so on.

this.
and here
http://www.conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/

Patsy Stoned Mar 15th 2010 9:27 am

And this is why I would never be a trainer in the UK..I would be sued too often. :D
I assess all my clients and then build a programme that will suit them, their aims and goals, regardless of gender

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8420657)
And this is why I would never be a trainer in the UK..I would be sued too often. :D
I assess all my clients and then build a programme that will suit them, their aims and goals, regardless of gender

...based on gin n fags if your avatar's anything to go by:embarrassed_smile:

Mardy Mar 15th 2010 9:36 am

"Stolly sweety", never gin.

Patsy Stoned Mar 15th 2010 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8420668)
...based on gin n fags if your avatar's anything to go by:embarrassed_smile:

GIN!!!!!
Bubbly Darling or a little Stoliboli (Vodka and Bollinger) sweetie

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8420694)
GIN!!!!!
Bubbly Darling or a little Stoliboli (Vodka and Bollinger) sweetie

Looks like whoever said, in a different thread, that money can't buy you class was right (talking about me here). Definitely going to ask for my money back now. Forgot that Patsy always drank Bolly--hope you'll forgive my social lapse, being brung up in Southend leaves its mark, you know...