Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Gym/Health Club etiquette...

Gym/Health Club etiquette...

Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gym/Health Club etiquette...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

I had a lovely morning today; roads from Sharjah to Dubai were super clogged, so decided to enjoy my free respite and go to the gym...

About 10 minutes into the start when I was on the threadmill, a person approaches (An extremely dark woman from the Carribean, but I don't want to be labelled as sexist or racist) and goes on the machine next to me...

And she strikes a conversation...

The conversation only ends when I had finished and proceeded towards the men's lockers, about 90 minutes later...

Will it be an etiquette issue if I am grumpy and unfriendly and untalkative next time a person wants to strike a conversation with me in the gym???
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gym/Health Club etiquette...

Originally Posted by Confucius

I had a lovely morning today; roads from Sharjah to Dubai were super clogged, so decided to enjoy my free respite and go to the gym...

About 10 minutes into the start when I was on the threadmill, a person approaches (An extremely dark woman from the Carribean, but I don't want to be labelled as sexist or racist) and goes on the machine next to me...

The conversation only ends when I had finished and proceeded towards the men's lockers, about 90 minutes later...

Will it be an etiquette issue if I am grumpy and unfriendly and untalkative next time a person wants to strike a conversation with me in the gym???
wear earphones and listen to your music thingy....problem solved!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Didn't work...
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:28 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

And if you get the right tracks it helps keep you going
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:38 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

she must have liked a bullshitteur...
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
she must have liked a bullshitteur...
I had the t-shirt on, so probably that was it...But, she never mentioned or alluded to the fact...Hmmm...
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't work...
with those things in your ears it is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable not to hear what others say.....
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the correct etiquette in such a situation is to reach over and turn the offending person's speed setting to max. This transmits the correct social signal without the need to be rude.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

with those things in your ears it is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable not to hear what others say.....
I said it didn't work...The woman was persistent and insisting...
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I believe the correct etiquette in such a situation is to reach over and turn the offending person's speed setting to max. This transmits the correct social signal without the need to be rude.
That won't be rude...That will be evil...
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I said it didn't work...The woman was persistent and insisting...
yes, I do realize that...therefore I said it is, IMHO, perfectly fine to ignore her.
But I prefer shakh's idea. Although that would require some guts....
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes, I do realize that...therefore I said it is, IMHO, perfectly fine to ignore her.
But I prefer shakh's idea. Although that would require some guts....
Hmmm... First i will check the woman's timings so that we don't cross paths the next time...That's step 1...
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I see that your molecular manifestation is more prudish than your pixellated version....
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Just say something like:

"I dont mean to be rude, but I need to be able to focus on my workout and find it difficult whilst talking. It puts me out of rhythm, sorry"

If she continues to chat to you she is either rude herself (in which case I would literally show her the 'talk to the hand'), ........

......or maybe she's a hooker after a pickup!

I wouldn't venture to advise you on your next move in this situation
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm... First i will check the woman's timings so that we don't cross paths the next time...That's step 1...
so much effort...you could , instead, sing along loudly to what ever it is you are listening to...it could be a very rude rap song...for example...
Or, come to think of it...Rod Steward.....and then just go with the flow....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.