British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gulf News Is A Joke (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gulf-news-joke-761081/)

mentalist Jun 8th 2012 3:30 pm

Gulf News Is A Joke

It's 7.30pm Friday 8th and still not a single word on Gulf News website about the terrifying fire in a 76 storey Dubai Marina tower, which caused the evacuation of several hundred residents early this morning. Are their reporters asleep?:thumbdown::frown::thumbdown:
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...i-marina-tower

auzdafluff Jun 8th 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Gulf News Is A Joke

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10108080)
It's 7.30pm Friday 8th and still not a single word on Gulf News website about the terrifying fire in a 76 storey Dubai Marina tower, which caused the evacuation of several hundred residents early this morning. Are their reporters asleep?:thumbdown::frown::thumbdown:
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...i-marina-tower

No, but it's the weekend and they'll only have a skeleton staff working (2-3 people max), and they're only there to make sure the big international stories are covered.

mentalist Jun 9th 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 10108177)
No, but it's the weekend and they'll only have a skeleton staff working (2-3 people max), and they're only there to make sure the big international stories are covered.

Are you serious? Like I said, it is a joke newspaper. If it was a freebie then I might just understand.

auzdafluff Jun 9th 2012 6:02 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10108966)
Are you serious? Like I said, it is a joke newspaper. If it was a freebie then I might just understand.

Yup. Sadly so. The National is the same.

Norm_uk Jun 12th 2012 4:19 pm

The self-censored-walking-on-eggshells UAE media is useless???

Who would have thought!?

N.

Bahtatboy Jun 16th 2012 1:22 pm

Fercuck! I live there. Just seen this, left DXB for UK on 7th, flying back tomorrow. Bleeding fire alarm is useless--its gone off about 6 times in the 5 months I live there, for about 5 minutes, and has stopped: don't know if its genuine, a test, or a false alarm. Typically, the management say nothing.

ps Now, did I switch the iron off?

Debowing Jun 18th 2012 7:10 am

Gulf News will publish a story once it gets approved. Without approval they will not publish anything, I ahve seen this happen many times, the media in UAE is one of the most amazinlgy censored in the world. Please watch the Emirates News on channel ONE. This is a continuous chant to how great Dubai is...Not worth watching. A bit like Mobutu Sese Seko's Zaire.

jackthehat Jun 18th 2012 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10122571)
Fercuck! I live there. Just seen this, left DXB for UK on 7th, flying back tomorrow. Bleeding fire alarm is useless--its gone off about 6 times in the 5 months I live there, for about 5 minutes, and has stopped: don't know if its genuine, a test, or a false alarm. Typically, the management say nothing.

ps Now, did I switch the iron off?

Switch-Off the Iron as they have probably switched-off the Fire Control System! - As they found it annoying. Rest assured, that the Watchman does not even have a telephone to make an Emergency Call! Its the same all over the Middle East! Forget the Sprinklers as well, as the water has probably been used for the Swimming Pool, and the Diesel for the Pumps sold by the Maintenance Man!

What floor do you live on? Have you checked the Fire Escape to make sure that it not full of Bug-Eaten Matresses, Shopping Trolleys, Refuse, Water Bottles, Crisp Packets, Used Condoms, etc., and is not being used as a Dormitory for the Car Cleaning Boys, and the Watchman! They are the ones who take a shower in the car park under the Fire Hose (Probably the only one that works in the entire building!)

Concorde Building in Satwa is a 'Death Trap!' - All of the above apply! And I moved into a Brand New Building! - Now Long Gone! - Thank God I was only on the first floor, and the building was next door to the Fire Station!

Perhaps we should start a 'Name and Shame' Thread? Or even a 'Chuck Hoover Day!' - I can only imagine 'What a Hoot' that would be!

Meow Jun 18th 2012 9:24 am

jackthehat, could you give your extraneous capital letters to busybee?

jackthehat Jun 18th 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10125147)
jackthehat, could you give your extraneous capital letters to busybee?

Leave me alone about the 'Caps' for Christ Sake! Comments have become rather tiresome and tedious from 'Illiterate Briterati!' - The ones who write in 'SMS Speak, single paragraphs, bad 'Spolling' and a lack of punctuation!' - And was Orwell right? - Perhaps 'Newspeak' has arrived! - Getting too old here now to even care!

Meow Jun 18th 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10125181)
Leave me alone about the 'Caps' for Christ Sake! Comments have become rather tiresome and tedious from 'Illiterate Briterati!' - The ones who write in 'SMS Speak, single paragraphs, bad 'Spolling' and a lack of punctuation!' - And was Orwell right? - Perhaps 'Newspeak' has arrived! - Getting too old here now to even care!

Illiterate Briterati? I presume you are referring to yourself, considering the way you massacre punctuation.

:rolleyes:

jackthehat Jun 18th 2012 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10125185)
Illiterate Briterati? I presume you are referring to yourself, considering the way you massacre punctuation.

:rolleyes:

You are tedious to deal with! - Go away!

Meow Jun 18th 2012 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10125187)
You are tedious to deal with! - Go away!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jackthehat Jun 18th 2012 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10125189)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wait until I speak to his Royal Highness Sir Chuck Hoover! - The Grand Panjandrum!

Bahtatboy Jun 18th 2012 10:17 am

Got something really niggling: a novel I read about a quarter of a century ago--probably by Le Carre or Paul Theroux--the opening of which is about a boy at a boarding school, father is a spy(?), father can't pay the school fees and offers to pay in oranges instead, and there's something in the opening chapter about someone (the father?) writing a letter with random capital letters...Can anyone jog my memory?