British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gulf News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gulf-news-605022/)

shiva Apr 23rd 2009 5:37 am

Gulf News

Lets face it, it has never been a beacon of truthful, honest and inciteful reporting but is it just me or has it got considerably worse recently?

Every second story is now about job creation, how the UAE is recession proof, house prices are recovering etc etc. Does nobody there realise how ridiculous it looks when you have two stories one above the other which are completely contradictory.

I mean if your going to be pravda you cut out any negativity at all, by having this insane mixture of "the worlds ****ed but were ok" it just looks like a bunch of journos who desperately want to stay in the country.
Its nothing unexpected but it is beginning to annoy me somewhat, are they trying to convince those of us here that its ok or is it for people considering a move here?

Smoochy Girl Apr 23rd 2009 5:39 am

Re: Gulf News

Why do you bother reading it? Do what I do - do NOT read any papers online or offline :thumbup: Then you only get to know what's happening through forums like this one :rofl:

shiva Apr 23rd 2009 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7505918)
Why do you bother reading it? Do what I do - do NOT read any papers online or offline :thumbup: Then you only get to know what's happening through forums like this one :rofl:

your view of the world must be really ****ed up in that case ;)

Smoochy Girl Apr 23rd 2009 5:59 am

Aaaah but I live in a world of my own darling ............. a much happier one I assure you :wub:

Meow Apr 23rd 2009 6:01 am

I rarely read Gulf News as it is just a government mouthpiece on so many issues. I just write the odd thing for them...

-

Madam Medusa Apr 23rd 2009 6:02 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7505916)
Lets face it, it has never been a beacon of truthful, honest and inciteful reporting but is it just me or has it got considerably worse recently?

Every second story is now about job creation, how the UAE is recession proof, house prices are recovering etc etc. Does nobody there realise how ridiculous it looks when you have two stories one above the other which are completely contradictory.

I mean if your going to be pravda you cut out any negativity at all, by having this insane mixture of "the worlds ****ed but were ok" it just looks like a bunch of journos who desperately want to stay in the country.
Its nothing unexpected but it is beginning to annoy me somewhat, are they trying to convince those of us here that its ok or is it for people considering a move here?

the journos there don't have a choice...it's positivity or you're out...

MM, xx

shiva Apr 23rd 2009 6:14 am

thats what i mean though. If your going to be a propaganda instrument then be one, whats annoying me is the mix.

as for reading the govt line, i find it worthwhile knowing what the powers that be would like me to think, i feel it provides an insight into their insanity

Smoochy Girl Apr 23rd 2009 6:18 am

exactly they don't have a choice - so why purchase and read their crap knowing they're only writing what they're ordered to write!

I will not subsidise crap if I can help it - there's enough going round in this country ffs :curse:

Spugsy Apr 23rd 2009 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7505961)
I rarely read Gulf News as it is just a government mouthpiece on so many issues. I just write the odd thing for them...

-

You've got your fingers in more pies that delboy trotter you pet.

Meow Apr 23rd 2009 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7506006)
You've got your fingers in more pies that delboy trotter you pet.

This time next year I'll be a millionaire.... ;)

-

shiva Apr 23rd 2009 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7506005)
exactly they don't have a choice - so why purchase and read their crap knowing they're only writing what they're ordered to write!

I will not subsidise crap if I can help it - there's enough going round in this country ffs :curse:

i dont, i read it online

Smoochy Girl Apr 23rd 2009 6:25 am

........... and don't forget I'm your friend when you become one :p