British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gulf Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gulf-cup-782613/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2013 4:29 am

Re: Gulf Cup

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10487959)
That's just rationalising your abject surrender.... (but fair dues for having a go)

I can't claim much credit. 10 mins trying to find tickets on google, 60 seconds on Skyscanner and about 10 minutes texting everyone.

Still, golf is good. Mini adventure.

The_Citizen Jan 17th 2013 4:24 pm

Would have been a good day out!

flares Jan 18th 2013 5:40 pm

UAE 2 Iraq 1 after extra time

from what I can tell from the Arabic commentary the scorer of the winner was a gentleman called 'Allah' or maybe 'Hamdulilah'

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 18th 2013 6:41 pm

It was a decent match. The UAE youngsters got to show off their skills in the first half against a fairly ineffectual Iraqi team. Their only regular time goal was from a beautiful piece of individual technique and effort by the tiny Afro-ed Omar Abdul Rahman who beat four defenders, worked the ball on both feet and spun three times before getting off a peach of a shot which took a deflection into the top corner. But they should have gone in 3-0 ahead at half-time and predictably paid the price as Iraq were much better organised and threatening in the second half. The Iraq goal was a well taken low shot through a crowded box.

UAE dominated extra-time and deserved their nicely taken goal in the second period. Iraq never really looked like getting back into it.

The stadium looked pretty full and the crowd seemed to have been there since the earlier third place play-off (Kuwait thrashed poor Bahrain 6-1 - the last 10 minutes that I saw were truly awful but it was all over by then I suppose). That would have been a long time without any booze Scamp......

The Dean Jan 19th 2013 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10491478)
It was a decent match. The UAE youngsters got to show off their skills in the first half against a fairly ineffectual Iraqi team. Their only regular time goal was from a beautiful piece of individual technique and effort by the tiny Afro-ed Omar Abdul Rahman who beat four defenders, worked the ball on both feet and spun three times before getting off a peach of a shot which took a deflection into the top corner. But they should have gone in 3-0 ahead at half-time and predictably paid the price as Iraq were much better organised and threatening in the second half. The Iraq goal was a well taken low shot through a crowded box.

UAE dominated extra-time and deserved their nicely taken goal in the second period. Iraq never really looked like getting back into it.

The stadium looked pretty full and the crowd seemed to have been there since the earlier third place play-off (Kuwait thrashed poor Bahrain 6-1 - the last 10 minutes that I saw were truly awful but it was all over by then I suppose). That would have been a long time without any booze Scamp......

Fair summary, although I actually felt Iraq were better in the second half (of normal time) than UAE were in the first half, if you follow me. Overall, UAE have probably been the best side in the tournament, so no complaints about the outcome.

I have seen a few games and the standard seemed higher than we have seen in the Asian qualifiers for the World Cup - ironic, as UAE are already out of that one...............

NorthernLad Jan 20th 2013 3:49 am

Nice win bonus.

@7DAYSUAE: Sheikh Khalifa grants AED50 million to UAE football team after Gulf Cup victory http://t.co/nxXbiEcW

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 20th 2013 3:51 am

Watched the second half after golf at the Qube sports bar at Meydan. Full of locals getting leathered, great atmoshpere.

Had to leave at full time though, the mrs' idea of a nice evening together of golf, bite to eat and chatting was severely hampered by me just staring at the screen.

Omar A. Rahman needs to sign for Saints. Lucky deflection, but great goal.