Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Grow old at the Sheraton Jumeirah....

Grow old at the Sheraton Jumeirah....

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice
Default Grow old at the Sheraton Jumeirah....

.....waiting for your toast to brown in one of those conveyer belt-style toasters.

Nothing to eat in the apartment so took the kids across the road for a special breakfast treat at the Shezza.

It's not just the Sheraton though. Every hotel I've ever stayed in has one of these machines. They are terminally slow - it's either let your cooked breakfast go cold waiting on the toast to brown (had to put mine thru 3 times and even then only one side was toasted), or do the toast first and then let it go cold while getting the rest of your brekky!!

So I reckon these hotels should have a full-time toast chef as well as the egg chef, just churning out the slices to order. And in this day and age I find it hard to believe these crappy, underpowered machines are the best that they can come up with.

I wonder what that boorish, sour-pussed prat Conrad 'Hotel Hit-Man' Gallagher's solution would be?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grow old at the Sheraton Jumeirah....

Originally Posted by Rapido
.....waiting for your toast to brown in one of those conveyer belt-style toasters.

Nothing to eat in the apartment so took the kids across the road for a special breakfast treat at the Shezza.

It's not just the Sheraton though. Every hotel I've ever stayed in has one of these machines. They are terminally slow - it's either let your cooked breakfast go cold waiting on the toast to brown (had to put mine thru 3 times and even then only one side was toasted), or do the toast first and then let it go cold while getting the rest of your brekky!!

So I reckon these hotels should have a full-time toast chef as well as the egg chef, just churning out the slices to order. And in this day and age I find it hard to believe these crappy, underpowered machines are the best that they can come up with.

I wonder what that boorish, sour-pussed prat Conrad 'Hotel Hit-Man' Gallagher's solution would be?
Maybe nip to Carrefour and buy a toaster?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:37 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Grow old at the Sheraton Jumeirah....

Originally Posted by Rapido
And in this day and age I find it hard to believe these crappy, underpowered machines are the best that they can come up with.
Brazing torch? Squirt pure ethanol over it and then set it on fire?

Or maybe just go to a place that serves eggs benedict and cut out the cheeky basterds making eating out a DIY job?

Or do what Tyler Durden would do and savatage the buffett . Then blow up the place in a giant fireball.

HTH
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 12:16 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

that Conrad is a pain in the arse
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that Conrad is a pain in the arse
That he is, BC.

I watch a fair bit of BBC Food (Ch 44 on my tv) and saw a number of episodes where he was brought in to lift the standards at some South African hotel.

Apart from the fact he's obviously a world-class chef, I didn't see a single redeeming feature about this bloke. Unsmiling, stupendously arrogant, humourless and treated everyone like shit.

I expect top-class chefs to be micro-managers, it's a pre-requisite of the job IMO. But in one episode when he suggested that the head chef go fetch a pen so that they could jot down some of Conrad's ideas for the dining room, he actually told the guy what pen ('that nice one from my room') and what paper he wanted.

That's not micro-managing - it's not even nano-managing. No, that to me spells a tiny, possibly non-functioning willy.