Greetings

Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:20 am
Just Joined

smoggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greetings

brand new here
heading to UAE (Ras al Khaima area, working in port area) soon and wanted some advice. Agency I am working for wants me to get a visit visa and do a visa run via Oman every 30 days. I read on the UK.gov website that this is illegal.

is it , but if so is it common practice and will I really get jailed / deported if caught working on a visitor / tourist visa?

Secondly can anyone suggest where to look for rented property (pref single occupancy with one bed)

thirdly i it really necessary to get an alcohol licence and if so, how can I get one? I will be working through my own ltd company through a british agency.

thanks in advance for help and advice
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings

lots of people do it but think you may struggle renting a place, getting Electricity/water connection, getting internet connection etc without residence visa and emirates id card.

also you can't get a booze licence without a proper visa but you can buy booze in RAK without one.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Very helpful advice. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
lots of people do it but think you may struggle renting a place, getting Electricity/water connection, getting internet connection etc without residence visa and emirates id card.

also you can't get a booze licence without a proper visa but you can buy booze in RAK without one.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily for you, the Oman border is only 35kms from RAK but you still need a UAE residence visa unless you plan staying in a hotel apartment as a tourist, which is doable but may get expensive. If you are working at Saqr Port then the Oman border is much closer.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

I am going to be at the port area working. Is there much in the way of hotels in the port area? is it around a 40 min drive from RAK centre to the port as I am led to believe?
So it looks like an hotel is going to be my best bet as the agency employing me doesn't seem keen on arranging a legit visa. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Originally Posted by mentalist
Luckily for you, the Oman border is only 35kms from RAK but you still need a UAE residence visa unless you plan staying in a hotel apartment as a tourist, which is doable but may get expensive. If you are working at Saqr Port then the Oman border is much closer.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

nothing much at all at Mina Saqr apart from the port, some cement plants and a ceramic factory. you'd be better of living in RAK town. plenty of hotels there. Al Hamra would be a good option.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 9:27 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
nothing much at all at Mina Saqr apart from the port, some cement plants and a ceramic factory. you'd be better of living in RAK town. plenty of hotels there. Al Hamra would be a good option.

yes it is illegal to work on a visit visa but they tend to look the other way usually if you keep your head down and stay out of trouble. Got a few friends living here in Dubai who have been doing the Oman run for almost a year now. No worries there.

I would recommend you find yourself a short term lease apartment / villa (depending on what you can afford) Much more privacy I would think.
And I dont know about RAK but almost all short term leases in Dubai give you internet, TV and electricity with the package so you wont have to worry about getting stuff in your name or running after bills. You just need to get your boots on the ground and have a property guy show you a few ones. Find the one you like and haggle for the internet/electricity package (if not included) and bobs your aunt's husband!
you can start your search here but dont trust anything they tell you over the phone until you see it for yourself :

http://rak.dubizzle.com/property-for-rent/short-term/

Ive been to RAK a few time and I absolutely loved the quietness of the place and the beaches were nice and laid back as well.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Very helpful and useful advice, many thanks once again !

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper

yes it is illegal to work on a visit visa but they tend to look the other way usually if you keep your head down and stay out of trouble. Got a few friends living here in Dubai who have been doing the Oman run for almost a year now. No worries there.

I would recommend you find yourself a short term lease apartment / villa (depending on what you can afford) Much more privacy I would think.
And I dont know about RAK but almost all short term leases in Dubai give you internet, TV and electricity with the package so you wont have to worry about getting stuff in your name or running after bills. You just need to get your boots on the ground and have a property guy show you a few ones. Find the one you like and haggle for the internet/electricity package (if not included) and bobs your aunt's husband!
you can start your search here but dont trust anything they tell you over the phone until you see it for yourself :

Dubizzle Ras al Khaimah | Short Stay & Short Term Rentals in Ras al Khaimah, UAE

Ive been to RAK a few time and I absolutely loved the quietness of the place and the beaches were nice and laid back as well.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Hi Again
When arriving into Dubai, will I need to fill in an immigration / landing card? Should I put business? or Work? or is it better to just put vacation even though I am going to be working
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:54 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Card..yes and no. I think depends on where you are traveling from.
And if it is a visit visa the definitely vacation
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:58 am
Just Joined

I am arriving into dubai from newcastle. I will be working but been asked by my company to just get a visitor visa at immigration, but I don't really want to put vacation on landing / immigration card that I am on vacation when I will in fact be working. I was wondering what other people do in similar situations?

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Card..yes and no. I think depends on where you are traveling from.
And if it is a visit visa the definitely vacation
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smoggie
I am arriving into dubai from newcastle. I will be working but been asked by my company to just get a visitor visa at immigration, but I don't really want to put vacation on landing / immigration card that I am on vacation when I will in fact be working. I was wondering what other people do in similar situations?
If you have a UK passport then they'll be no card to fill in.

When you get to immigration you have 2 options (if landing at Terminal 3).

Option 1 - go to either end and you'll find the passport scanners.
Option 2 - go to one of the desks and get a stamp. If asked what you're doing here, just say you're visiting friends for a holiday and that they're picking you up (so you don't know their address).

I was here for approx 7 years before I got my visa.