Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Greatest Olympian Ever ??

Greatest Olympian Ever ??

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest Olympian Ever ??

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Oh dear....just wait for the abuse to start !

Anyway, just for having the sheer afrontery to wear Speedo's in public should have banned him from entering the pool in the first place !!!
So what about those normal (ie non-Phelps) years when a different swimmer wins each event/stroke?

My son's swimming coach reckons a 200m butterfly is as different from a 100m backstroke as the 100m sprint is from the 3000m steeplechase. Different techniques, different muscular development required etc.

How often have you heard freestylers say "You wouldn't get me doing the butterfly! No way!"? All the time. Phelps was an exception who should not be used as a benchmark to determine the validity of swimming v running.

And I still say Jesse Owens is the all-time greatest Olympian...........
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:21 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
So what about those normal (ie non-Phelps) years when a different swimmer wins each event/stroke?

My son's swimming coach reckons a 200m butterfly is as different from a 100m backstroke as the 100m sprint is from the 3000m steeplechase. Different techniques, different muscular development required etc.

How often have you heard freestylers say "You wouldn't get me doing the butterfly! No way!"? All the time. Phelps was an exception who should not be used as a benchmark to determine the validity of swimming v running.

And I still say Jesse Owens is the all-time greatest Olympian...........
Still think its easier to win numerous swimming golds than it is to win the same number of track golds, whatever anyone says

You'd remember seeing Jessie Owens live, so I take your word for it
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Still think its easier to win numerous swimming golds than it is to win the same number of track golds, whatever anyone says

You'd remember seeing Jessie Owens live, so I take your word for it
He was black, Hitler tried to ban him (and other 'non-Aryans') from the Berlin games, he won 4 golds, Hitler, Goebbels et al walked out rather than shake their hands, etc. There IS a photo of Hitler meeting Owens but a number of photo experts have since asserted it to be fake.

http://www.jesse-owens.org/about1.html
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

He was black, Hitler tried to ban him (and other 'non-Aryans') from the Berlin games, he won 4 golds, Hitler, Goebbels et al walked out rather than shake their hands, etc. There IS a photo of Hitler meeting Owens but a number of photo experts have since asserted it to be fake.

doesn't make him the greatest olympian though!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
doesn't make him the greatest olympian though!
Yes it does.........

Some things - like humanity for instance - are far more important than mere results.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does.........

Some things - like humanity for instance - are far more important than mere results.
no it doesn't. He won 4 medals at one olympics. the reaction of the heads of state do not make him more of an olypmian.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no it doesn't. He won 4 medals at one olympics. the reaction of the heads of state do not make him more of an olypmian.
Small-minded, Insel, small-minded............

The Olympic movement, ideals, etc are far more significant than mere 'results'.

A man who had, because of his colour, to overcome all sorts of social obstacles succeeded in rising to meet and overcome those challenges. He entered the most intimidating atmosphere imaginable and won his medals.

Ten years from now, Phelps will just be a name in the record books (although he may have been exceeded by then) - so what?

Owens's name will be legend forever.

Last edited by The Dean; Sep 4th 2008 at 7:54 am. Reason: -
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:38 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting thread,totally floats my boat(not an Olympic Event, sadly)

Right...............are you a follower of Olympian Motto or Olympiam -Creed
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Very interesting thread,totally floats my boat(not an Olympic Event, sadly)

Right...............are you a follower of Olympian Motto or Olympiam -Creed
Hello sweetpants,

Ramadan kareem........

Are you asking me? Well I reckon the Olympics is what it is because of its history, tradition, principles, etc - which is why I never get upset when 'drug cheats' are caught (because at least it suggests that the testers are keeping ahead of the cheats - I'd be VERY worried if there were no failed tests).

If it's pure results you want, there's a World Championships every two years.

Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Small-minded, Insel, small-minded............

The Olympic movement, ideals, etc are far more significant than mere 'results'.

A man who had, because of his colour, to overcome all sorts of social obstacles succeeded in rising to meet and overcome those challenges. He entered the most intimidating atmosphere imaginable and won his medals.

Ten years from now, Phelps will just be a name in the record books (although he may have been exceeded by then) - so what?

Owens's name will be legend forever.
being too PC there Deano.
there is no denying the effect Owen's had but sorry it doesnt make him a great olympian. there are many olypmians who have overcome far more than he did yet I don't hear you putting them forward as the greatest olympian.

Oscar Pistorius comes to mind as one.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

being too PC there Deano.
there is no denying the effect Owen's had but sorry it doesnt make him a great olympian. there are many olypmians who have overcome far more than he did yet I don't hear you putting them forward as the greatest olympian.

Oscar Pistorius comes to mind as one.
Pistorius? Which Olympics did he compete in then?

And if you say "No it was the PARAlympics" I'll know you've lost the plot.......

I've still never forgiven the BBC for not bidding for the Ryder Cup four years ago because it clashed with the Paralympics..........

And their website now proudly trumpets themselves as "The Paralympics Broadcaster".

And to think the BBC used to actually have comprehensive sports coverage....
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:34 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Hello sweetpants,

Ramadan kareem........

Are you asking me? Well I reckon the Olympics is what it is because of its history, tradition, principles, etc - which is why I never get upset when 'drug cheats' are caught (because at least it suggests that the testers are keeping ahead of the cheats - I'd be VERY worried if there were no failed tests).

If it's pure results you want, there's a World Championships every two years.

Ramadam Kareem 2u2,

'Citius, Altius, Fortius' -the historic concept of being the best.

Credo 'It is not the winning but to take part. The most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle.The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well'.

This says to me:

If you subscribe to the ancient mindset of the Games then the greatest would be winner of most medals.The contemporary mindset? then I agree with you , Jesse Owens.Just my 2 cents.........
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Ramadam Kareem 2u2,

'Citius, Altius, Fortius' -the historic concept of being the best.

Credo 'It is not the winning but to take part. The most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle.The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well'.

This says to me:

If you subscribe to the ancient mindset of the Games then the greatest would be winner of most medals.The contemporary mindset? then I agree with you , Jesse Owens.Just my 2 cents.........
True - but why not have both? The struggle - then winning at the end of it.........
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:54 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True - but why not have both? The struggle - then winning at the end of it.........

Olympians all win some just don't have to struggle.