Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Great letter in Time Out Dubai this week

Great letter in Time Out Dubai this week

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:52 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great letter in Time Out Dubai this week

By Tyron De Andrade. It is ridiculously nail on the head stuff, saying as much about people in general as it does about drivers.

Driven to distraction

The UAE's greatest problem on the road is not the traffic, as many people believe, it is the hubri of the drivers, whose truculent manner and tremuous skills at the wheel result in an excessive amount of collisiosn, injuries and deaths on the road. These people are so ensconsed in their own wellbeing, that they do not stop to consider the effect of their actions on other drivers. They can give little excuse for the coy manner in which they make a turn, neglecting to inform the rest of us about their plans, forcing us to second-guess them and hope that they do what we think they are going to do. The drivers in this country are so candid about their complete lack of penitence and philanthropy, which fills me with such indignation that I almost feel that I woud rather live in the crime-filled streets of New York, London or Johannesburg.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:02 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Great letter in Time Out Dubai this week

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
By Tyron De Andrade. It is ridiculously nail on the head stuff, saying as much about people in general as it does about drivers.

Driven to distraction

The UAE's greatest problem on the road is not the traffic, as many people believe, it is the hubri of the drivers, whose truculent manner and tremuous skills at the wheel result in an excessive amount of collisiosn, injuries and deaths on the road. These people are so ensconsed in their own wellbeing, that they do not stop to consider the effect of their actions on other drivers. They can give little excuse for the coy manner in which they make a turn, neglecting to inform the rest of us about their plans, forcing us to second-guess them and hope that they do what we think they are going to do. The drivers in this country are so candid about their complete lack of penitence and philanthropy, which fills me with such indignation that I almost feel that I woud rather live in the crime-filled streets of New York, London or Johannesburg.
LJ i have much respect for u but even being blonde.. i had worked this out ages ago
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:05 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beebee
LJ i have much respect for u but even being blonde.. i had worked this out ages ago
S'pose it just reflects the way I feel at the moment.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:09 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

don't we all.. i am a very dizzy blonde.. but on these roads. no.. and both my kids drive too so i am always shit scared
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem here is the Indian/pakistani drivers and the fact that they teach the locals how to drive!

I just hope that when I go home for a visit i remember to leave my Dubai driving style behind!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:59 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
The main problem here is the Indian/pakistani drivers and the fact that they teach the locals how to drive!

I just hope that when I go home for a visit i remember to leave my Dubai driving style behind!
The problem is you don't!!!!!!! I tell you - you never sit at a give way sign or a roundabout any more
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

try Hyde Park Corner...it's SZR in UK-form i promise!!!

MM, xx
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Attila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud of

Driven to distraction

It's stating the obvious Jimmy, but in such an erudite form that it's quite refreshing!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Why not post a song in the "Songs that reflect your mood" thread,James???