British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Great letter in Time Out Dubai this week (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/great-letter-time-out-dubai-week-460781/)

littlejimmy Jun 23rd 2007 5:52 pm

Great letter in Time Out Dubai this week

By Tyron De Andrade. It is ridiculously nail on the head stuff, saying as much about people in general as it does about drivers.

Driven to distraction

The UAE's greatest problem on the road is not the traffic, as many people believe, it is the hubri of the drivers, whose truculent manner and tremuous skills at the wheel result in an excessive amount of collisiosn, injuries and deaths on the road. These people are so ensconsed in their own wellbeing, that they do not stop to consider the effect of their actions on other drivers. They can give little excuse for the coy manner in which they make a turn, neglecting to inform the rest of us about their plans, forcing us to second-guess them and hope that they do what we think they are going to do. The drivers in this country are so candid about their complete lack of penitence and philanthropy, which fills me with such indignation that I almost feel that I woud rather live in the crime-filled streets of New York, London or Johannesburg.

beebee Jun 23rd 2007 6:02 pm

Re: Great letter in Time Out Dubai this week

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4958611)
By Tyron De Andrade. It is ridiculously nail on the head stuff, saying as much about people in general as it does about drivers.

Driven to distraction

The UAE's greatest problem on the road is not the traffic, as many people believe, it is the hubri of the drivers, whose truculent manner and tremuous skills at the wheel result in an excessive amount of collisiosn, injuries and deaths on the road. These people are so ensconsed in their own wellbeing, that they do not stop to consider the effect of their actions on other drivers. They can give little excuse for the coy manner in which they make a turn, neglecting to inform the rest of us about their plans, forcing us to second-guess them and hope that they do what we think they are going to do. The drivers in this country are so candid about their complete lack of penitence and philanthropy, which fills me with such indignation that I almost feel that I woud rather live in the crime-filled streets of New York, London or Johannesburg.

LJ i have much respect for u but even being blonde.. i had worked this out ages ago ;)

littlejimmy Jun 23rd 2007 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 4958622)
LJ i have much respect for u but even being blonde.. i had worked this out ages ago ;)

S'pose it just reflects the way I feel at the moment.

beebee Jun 23rd 2007 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4958634)

don't we all.. i am a very dizzy blonde.. but on these roads. no.. and both my kids drive too so i am always shit scared

Inselaffen Jun 23rd 2007 9:56 pm

The main problem here is the Indian/pakistani drivers and the fact that they teach the locals how to drive!

I just hope that when I go home for a visit i remember to leave my Dubai driving style behind!

Fairydust Jun 23rd 2007 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 4959388)
The main problem here is the Indian/pakistani drivers and the fact that they teach the locals how to drive!

I just hope that when I go home for a visit i remember to leave my Dubai driving style behind!

The problem is you don't!!!!!!! I tell you - you never sit at a give way sign or a roundabout any more :lol:

Madam Medusa Jun 24th 2007 4:33 am

try Hyde Park Corner...it's SZR in UK-form i promise!!!

MM, xx

Attila the Mouse Jun 24th 2007 9:11 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4958611)

Driven to distraction

It's stating the obvious Jimmy, but in such an erudite form that it's quite refreshing! :D

Confucius Jun 24th 2007 9:15 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4958634)

Why not post a song in the "Songs that reflect your mood" thread,James???