Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Great Britain I know appears to be broken...

The Great Britain I know appears to be broken...

Old May 16th 2014, 6:24 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Britain I know appears to be broken...

Originally Posted by Eeyore
If somebody is going to state that one of UKIP's policies is "giving British people first opportunity at British jobs", then the logical inference is that somehow, British people are *not* being given first opportunity at British jobs. After all, policies are proposed as solutions to issues. If there isn't an issue, then you don't need a policy about it.

Simple question - if you consider UKIP's policy of "giving British people first opportunity at British jobs" to be necessary, where are British people *not* being given first opportunity at British jobs? If you can't answer that, then it's most likely because it isn't happening, and therefore isn't an issue at all, and isn't a reason to support UKIP.

[/URL]
Of course they're not being given first opportunity. That would be racial discrimination. If two people apply for a job, one British the other foreign, they have equal opportunity, neither has first opportunity.
Old May 16th 2014, 9:32 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

So what you're saying is that British companies should ideally be required to hire British people even if they're not the best of the candidates who applied for the job? The fact that they're British should automatically override other considerations like qualifications and experience?
Old May 16th 2014, 9:45 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

So what you're saying is that British companies should ideally be required to hire British people even if they're not the best of the candidates who applied for the job? The fact that they're British should automatically override other considerations like qualifications and experience?
So now you've progressed to taking my quote of what UKIP said and turning it into my advocacy of it. You really shouldn't be allowed out.
Old May 16th 2014, 10:28 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, so you agree that it would be a terrible idea? There's hope for you yet. Maybe.
Old May 16th 2014, 3:49 pm
Soupy twist

And Farage's discomfort at being asked probing questions by well-briefed journalists continues...

James O'Brien interviews Nigel Farage on LBC Radio
Old May 17th 2014, 12:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

And Farage's discomfort at being asked probing questions by well-briefed journalists continues...

James O'Brien interviews Nigel Farage on LBC Radio
You seem more interested in playing the man rather than the game.

Just an observation.
Old May 17th 2014, 9:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of questions.

Do any posters really believe that non-British workers are being given first dibs at getting a job?

If so, is that not the fault of the specific employers rather than the government or political party?

I'm curious.
Old May 17th 2014, 10:46 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Meow
A couple of questions.

Do any posters really believe that non-British workers are being given first dibs at getting a job?

If so, is that not the fault of the specific employers rather than the government or political party?

I'm curious.
As to the 1st question--probably only in limited circumstances where unscrupulous employers seek to take advantage of foreign workers who are probably less aware of their employment rights than are British workers, and/or may be willing to work for less. Which leads to the second question: no, I don't think it is the policy of the govt or either political party in power.

The bigger question is: should it be? The govt already discriminates--legitimately--between EU citizens and non-EU citizens. So, a line is already drawn in the sand--what UKIP appear to be advocating (I think) is that the line should be drawn closer to home, basically on British beaches. Which, in line with UKIP's basis premise, is that we should be out of Europe, and therefore all foreigners would be treated the same (or similar). Every country I've ever worked in has just that policy--foreigners don't have the right to work there unless special dispensation is given, and in many cases my potential employer has had to prove that I have a skill set that is not available amongst that country's citizens.

Whether or not we should be going down that route I'm undecided about. On the one hand I'm an "internationalist", who believes that each country should concentrate on what its good at and, in theory, employ the people who are best placed to deliver. I witnessed first hand the effects of Japan's refusal to allow foreign rice imports--and, perversely, the effects when they relented. Both sets of effects had negative and positive aspects. America's continued (I think) like protection of its peanut industry is (or was) equally counter-productive to free trade. But on the other hand, government's first responsibility is to its own people--and in times of high unemployment, allowing foreigners in to take our jobs doesn't seem right.
Old May 17th 2014, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
As to the 1st question--probably only in limited circumstances where unscrupulous employers seek to take advantage of foreign workers who are probably less aware of their employment rights than are British workers, and/or may be willing to work for less. Which leads to the second question: no, I don't think it is the policy of the govt or either political party in power.

The bigger question is: should it be? The govt already discriminates--legitimately--between EU citizens and non-EU citizens. So, a line is already drawn in the sand--what UKIP appear to be advocating (I think) is that the line should be drawn closer to home, basically on British beaches. Which, in line with UKIP's basis premise, is that we should be out of Europe, and therefore all foreigners would be treated the same (or similar). Every country I've ever worked in has just that policy--foreigners don't have the right to work there unless special dispensation is given, and in many cases my potential employer has had to prove that I have a skill set that is not available amongst that country's citizens.

Whether or not we should be going down that route I'm undecided about. On the one hand I'm an "internationalist", who believes that each country should concentrate on what its good at and, in theory, employ the people who are best placed to deliver. I witnessed first hand the effects of Japan's refusal to allow foreign rice imports--and, perversely, the effects when they relented. Both sets of effects had negative and positive aspects. America's continued (I think) like protection of its peanut industry is (or was) equally counter-productive to free trade. But on the other hand, government's first responsibility is to its own people--and in times of high unemployment, allowing foreigners in to take our jobs doesn't seem right.
And the rights of those Brits who live or work in The EU just go down the tubes?
Old May 17th 2014, 12:25 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by shiraz1
And the rights of those Brits who live or work in The EU just go down the tubes?
That would be the corollary.
Old May 20th 2014, 2:30 pm
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Scamp
You seem more interested in playing the man rather than the game
In other words, you're calling "Unfair!" when Farage's own words and deeds are turned against him by journalists who are properly briefed and won't softball him the way so many other journalists do?
Old May 21st 2014, 8:55 am
Soupy twist

Anyone unhappy with Farage actually facing some vaguely rigorous interviewing will be relieved to hear his appearance with John Humphrys on R4's Today programme earlier this morning.

Personally, I lasted eight minutes. It began with mutual chuckling and probably finished with a handjob.
Old May 21st 2014, 10:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It began with mutual chuckling and probably finished with a handjob.
Old May 21st 2014, 10:58 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone unhappy with Farage actually facing some vaguely rigorous interviewing will be relieved to hear his appearance with John Humphrys on R4's Today programme earlier this morning.

Personally, I lasted eight minutes. It began with mutual chuckling and probably finished with a handjob.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Tom Mludzinski ‏@tom_ComRes
Having our immigration cake? 58% say Brits should be free to live/work anywhere in EU, 38% think ppl from EU shld be free to live/work in UK

What a surprise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.