British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The 'Great Abu Dhabi Exodus'.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/great-abu-dhabi-exodus-631013/)

hawkhead Sep 16th 2009 5:21 am

The 'Great Abu Dhabi Exodus'....

....has it happened then?

Before the summer everyone was saying - ooh just wait til after the summer, AD's gonna be like a ghost town, house prices will drop through the floor, schools are gonna be empty - blah blah blah. Anyone seen anything like this happen?

From where I'm sitting - I only know of 4 families who have left. Admittedly 3 of them were in construction but at least 2 of those have got other jobs in the Gulf region. Anyway, 4 families is a pretty normal amount to leave over a summer. Judging by the traffic - even in Ramadan - no bugger has left. House prices? Stabilised at best, going up again in some cases it seems.

Does anyone have a different perspective on this or is it official - no exodus?

commander Sep 16th 2009 7:39 am

Re: The 'Great Abu Dhabi Exodus'....

there are a lot of houses now empty in Mangrove village.

hawkhead Sep 16th 2009 8:21 am

Maybe, but as far as I know they're still going for 100k per bedroom so that's not much use to anyone.

commander Sep 16th 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7935275)
Maybe, but as far as I know they're still going for 100k per bedroom so that's not much use to anyone.

yea, prob why they are empty...get them back down to what we pay for ours...under 200K:thumbup:

hawkhead Sep 16th 2009 8:39 am

My fingers are permanently crossed on that score!

commander Sep 16th 2009 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7935311)
My fingers are permanently crossed on that score!

we dont accept any old riff raff at the mangrove, dont you know...;-)

(i still laugh at the leather skinned old trout asking my wife how we managed to get into Mangrove and the Club...:D:D stupid old past it cow...

it was prob BB2 (kidding)

hawkhead Sep 16th 2009 9:24 am

(i still laugh at the leather skinned old trout asking my wife how we managed to get into Mangrove and the Club... stupid old past it cow...
You are kidding me...

busybee2 Sep 16th 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7935384)

(i still laugh at the leather skinned old trout asking my wife how we managed to get into Mangrove and the Club...:D:D stupid old past it cow...

it was prob BB2 (kidding)

hahahaha dunno think so, leather skinned old trout defo not me, dont do the british club......:p you should know me by now:thumbsup:, that defo not the old expats must be the new ones.... :rofl:

soukie Sep 16th 2009 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7935384)

:rofl::rofl:Sounds like a fair few expats in AD these days - not the same since they have let that type in! Wait till you have to mix with the school crowd - you'll meet lots more interesting trouts!

Heard that the prices of accomodation are on the up but salaries are down - doesn't make sense to me.

Millsyisland Sep 16th 2009 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7935299)
yea, prob why they are empty...get them back down to what we pay for ours...under 200K:thumbup:

Ditto - praise be for that rental increase cap!

benzonar Sep 17th 2009 9:18 pm

Give it a few more months until Yas Island winds down, big knock on effect. Everyone scrabbling for Saadyiat jobs at the moment.

Personally I think Libya is the next hotspot (if you are a Brit that is)

commander Sep 19th 2009 6:40 pm

Even more welcoming if your scottish...

Confucius Sep 19th 2009 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7946103)

Lebos also have a good chance...

MacScot Sep 19th 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7946103)

Might be something in that, my company has been asked to bid for tenders in the last month...and out of the blue !