GPS in Saudi

Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Fugative is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GPS in Saudi

Can anyone advise if GPS is worth buying in Jeddah?

Is it any good? Which one & where can I buy?

Any help please!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GPS in Saudi

I used t live in Taif before i came to Riyadh,
Yes i used my GPS in jeddah a lot in the early days.
Mine is a car type version the ole Garmin 715 model.
I have said before you do need to upgrade it every 2 years for the latest info on roads etc.
i bought mine in Al Jahir Book store on Sari St.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:06 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I use my Nokia's GPS all the damn time out here.

The biggest pain is translating hand-drawn, usually inaccurate maps into a destination for the GPS to follow. I find wikimapia is very helpful for searching for a building and getting GPS coordinates.

It doesn't help that most GPS maps have the official names and not the colloquial ones - I don't know if any brands of GPS can cope with this.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Fugative is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys!
Ive mastered the single roundabouts, but found a triple roundabout with 1 thrown in at the end today, do they help with that also, lol
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:25 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fugative
Thanks guys!
Ive mastered the single roundabouts, but found a triple roundabout with 1 thrown in at the end today, do they help with that also, lol
gps can be a bit of a hit and miss in saudi. even if you have the newest maps they will still be out of date (roads change a lot here) and also as mentioned by another poster the street names (where they exist) are usually different from reality. i've got a garmin something or other with full gcc maps and my touareg has a built-in one (which is ridiculously out of date, but there is no way I'm spending SR10,000 as quoted to update it)..

there's a trick to roundabouts in saudi; don't slow down when approaching one, just keep going or the dude behind you will hit you from behind...used to scare me sh*tless when I first got here, but you get used to the insanity eventually..