British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   GPS Nav Systems (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gps-nav-systems-627630/)

coffindodger Aug 26th 2009 11:35 am

GPS Nav Systems

Little ole me and my wise wisdom has gone and bought a Gps for the car,
However silly ole me has down loaded the wrong manual.
So if any one here in Riyadh is looking for the full A4 size manual for the GARMIN Nuvi 205,205w,215,215w,255,255w,275, &285w
You can it free of charge,
I have downloaded the right version now.
Must be ole age !!!

Spugsy Aug 26th 2009 11:39 am

Re: GPS Nav Systems

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 7876412)
Little ole me and my wise wisdom has gone and bought a Gps for the car,
However silly ole me has down loaded the wrong manual.
So if any one here in Riyadh is looking for the full A4 size manual for the GARMIN Nuvi 205,205w,215,215w,255,255w,275, &285w
You can it free of charge,
I have downloaded the right version now.
Must be ole age !!!

any idea if I can turn my ipod touch into a GPS then? I knwo you can in other countries,

anyone?

glynster Aug 26th 2009 11:51 am

Dunno Spugsy but my nephew put the tomtom programme on my old nokia n73 all I needed was a bluetooth gps which cost 15 quid on ebay.Not sure about iphone but If you can in other countries I am sure you will over here,good luck pal.

seven seas Aug 26th 2009 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by glynster (Post 7876468)
Dunno Spugsy but my nephew put the tomtom programme on my old nokia n73 all I needed was a bluetooth gps which cost 15 quid on ebay.Not sure about iphone but If you can in other countries I am sure you will over here,good luck pal.

Noway!!!

I have to find out more about this.

nottmbantam Aug 26th 2009 7:48 pm

Yeah, I had teh same set up on my old Nokia 6680 - bought TomTom off eBay for about a fiver, and then a separate GPS Receiver. Worked like a charm, and still use it occasionally when I'm back in Blighty.

Newer phones have GPS built, but don't know about the iPod Touch. Most external GPS receivers will need a bluetooth connection - does the iPod Touch have that? I know it has wi-fi.

Does the newer iPhone have GPS built in?

Robbies Aug 27th 2009 5:57 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 7877581)
Yeah, I had teh same set up on my old Nokia 6680 - bought TomTom off eBay for about a fiver, and then a separate GPS Receiver. Worked like a charm, and still use it occasionally when I'm back in Blighty.

Newer phones have GPS built, but don't know about the iPod Touch. Most external GPS receivers will need a bluetooth connection - does the iPod Touch have that? I know it has wi-fi.

Spugsy, iPhone has GPS built in. iPod Touch does not. If you go with the 3.0 software you get bluetooth unlocked on the iPod, so there is potential for a TomTom type program if it were available linked to a bluetooth GPS device.

For now, GPS is not possible in iPod

I heard a rumour it could be done, but after much googling, came to the conclusion it can't be done with any effect here - basically, in an area of known wifi coverage, there is the option of triangulating your position based on proximity to these, but here there are not enough of these to be of use.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=519463

The company based in the US that provides this service is SkyHook, but it is mainly US only (their site shows Dubai coverage, but this may be cell towers rather than wifi). The iPhone works similar, but uses cell towers to triangulate - here you can have street/building details displayed on your mobile to tell you where you are... 3 of these lets the iPhone triangulate your position.

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

Yes, I wish I had got an iPhone rather than iPod Touch, but it seems pricey here compared to UK etc

And I left my iPod at home today so can't even try it out

Spugsy Aug 27th 2009 6:07 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 7877581)

they do have bluetooth aye, I'm pretty sure in the UK you can download the app for about a fiver that will give you GPS, just wondered if I can get it over here?

Kenny and Moe Aug 28th 2009 6:41 am

I have TomTom on a PDA and use a bluetooth GPS, but only in Europe. TomTom don't do mapping for Middle East so no real use out here:confused: