Gopro reviews?

Old Aug 25th 2014, 7:58 am
Just Joined

andydives is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gopro reviews?

There are several filters available for the gopro cameras : red glass for blue tropical water correction and magenta glass for green water correction. Both types are clip on (so fit externally) over the waterproof camera lens housing and have a tether to help avoid loss. There is also a macro lens that fits in a similar fashion for those real close-ups we all love. . .
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:13 pm
researcher, hiker

helga14 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
My GoPro used to hang like crazy when I was shooting time-lapses in the car. It can not withstand the heat for too long.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:11 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatadaptation
hi,
My GoPro used to hang like crazy when I was shooting time-lapses in the car. It can not withstand the heat for too long.
That sounds more like a firmware issue than an inherent fault with the camera. Ours has no problems with heat at all.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Do any of the group know where to find the magenta clip-on filter here in Muscat ? I've sourced the red one with no problem, but the magenta one is proving very much more problematic to find.

Any help appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:46 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Online from go pro.com

Or try the photo shop on the ground floor of Qurm city centre mall

Or the shop in the basement of the al aria I centre in qurm
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Surprisingly enough, there are at least two housings for the GoPro 3+, one that was originally marketed for the GoPro 3, rated to 60m, with small screws around the lens section, and the other one, without the screws, good to 40m.

The Red and Magenta clip-over filters for one housing type are apparently incompatible with the other (i.e. they do not fit).
Old Nov 16th 2014, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a better action camera than GoPro? Something from the Japanese brands?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Hi. It really depends on what you have in mind - the GoPro is small and reasonably light, and has a good video capability within its housing, which can be attached to a wide range of things.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andydives
Hi. It really depends on what you have in mind - the GoPro is small and reasonably light, and has a good video capability within its housing, which can be attached to a wide range of things.
To capture surfing, attached to a surfboard. Snorkeling.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi, then the GoPro is probably the right answer for your activities, with a waterproof housing of course. I use mine for both scuba diving and snorkelling and it is great. When used with a 32Gb card, it will happily do a couple of hours of continuous video for you.

For surfing, I might suggest you try it attached to the board, but if that's a bit limited (too much sea and not enough action), try the headband - but do tether it to yourself well so you don't lose the camera - or perhaps use the chest mount !

I've used the chest mount whilst scuba diving, and providing you get your angles right (experiment for the best, then mark the mounting), and don't use the video back (as it gobbles battery life), you will be very pleased with the results I think.

Good luck and enjoy !
Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Hi all. I finally managed to get hold of a magenta filter for my GoPro that fits my waterproof housing. There seems to be nobody in Oman who can supply these items (I think I tried every single retail outlet in Muscat who might have them, and then a few more) !

If anybody is in need of one, please PM me and I'll provide you details of the company in Dorset, England, who will FedEx the filter to you in a matter of days.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 12:26 pm
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andydives
Hi all. I finally managed to get hold of a magenta filter for my GoPro that fits my waterproof housing. There seems to be nobody in Oman who can supply these items (I think I tried every single retail outlet in Muscat who might have them, and then a few more) !

If anybody is in need of one, please PM me and I'll provide you details of the company in Dorset, England, who will FedEx the filter to you in a matter of days.
I will take the details from you please mate.

Also, can you recommend some good dive sites you've visited in Oman and who you dive there with?

Getting very tired of Dibba Rock and the surrounding area. Would be good to have a few more options.

Thanks.