British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Good Morning Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/good-morning-forum-863933/)

weasel decentral Aug 24th 2015 10:30 am

Good Morning Forum

Hope everyone is doing well or at least better than your immediate friends and neighbours :lol:

Been having a chat to a few companies about a return to the ME, it has been a year since I left, but I am struggling to get the enthusiasm up for it. Tales of random acts of exploitation, large engined vehicles and ostentatious displays of wealth may help.

Ditzy Aug 24th 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Good Morning Forum

We had ten days away over the Summer and I'm loving being back. Things don't close at 5pm. everything is bright and well lit and looks busy. People are willing to help and you can get anything done with a 20 AED note! Food is easily available and deliverable at all times. Any cuisine! People look smart and are at work on time and ready to get on with it.

This is all so different from where we were and it is just so good to be back in a busy, work inspired environment.

All we need now is the better weather and the real fun will begin.

Rose tinted glasses on and staying on! :)

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2015 7:39 am

I went to the pub and got pissed last night. Didn't even look at the bill to check the cost, so big time here, you will need to adjust because you need not worry about these things again.

weasel decentral Aug 25th 2015 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11732211)
I went to the pub and got pissed last night. Didn't even look at the bill to check the cost, so big time here, you will need to adjust because you need not worry about these things again.

That's the spirit. Private booth with 1928 Moët I hope. It's not the money actually, I am a little bored in Ireland. I need an incredibly outlandish project to stoke up my interest in construction.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11732280)
That's the spirit. Private booth with 1928 Moët I hope. It's not the money actually, I am a little bored in Ireland. I need an incredibly outlandish project to stoke up my interest in construction.

Unfortunately not, just me, the mrs and pints of hobgoblin.

If you want silly then obviously this is the place. But it's weirdly quiet and a bit odd at the moment.

Millhouse Aug 25th 2015 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11732289)
If you want silly then obviously this is the place. But it's weirdly quiet and a bit odd at the moment.

Really? I see traffic everywhere again - although no sales apparently.

weasel decentral Aug 25th 2015 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11732289)
. But it's weirdly quiet and a bit odd at the moment.

I am getting that kind of feeling actually, hearing a lot of full order book nonsense but no start date for a lot of the projects.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2015 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11732296)
Really? I see traffic everywhere again - although no sales apparently.

I meant in terms of building work etc.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11732329)
I am getting that kind of feeling actually, hearing a lot of full order book nonsense but no start date for a lot of the projects.

It's odd, honestly. Hard to put finger on it. Some things flying up, but other things are stalling / shrinking / stopping.

DXBtoDOH Aug 25th 2015 11:12 am

Doha is busy. Lots of big tenders released lately. Qatar Rail, QP, construction, highways, anything infrastructure related.

UAE does feel like it's slowing down. Projects on hold, tenders delayed, budget cuts.

weasel decentral Aug 25th 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11732358)
Doha is busy. Lots of big tenders released lately. Qatar Rail, QP, construction, highways, anything infrastructure related.

UAE does feel like it's slowing down. Projects on hold, tenders delayed, budget cuts.

I am not terribly keen on Doha and packages (for project management) seem to be stuck around the 55k per month mark. I was thinking to wait another year when panic levels might have increased and desperation offers creep in.

Millhouse Aug 25th 2015 11:36 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11732362)
I am not terribly keen on Doha and packages (for project management) seem to be stuck around the 55k per month mark. I was thinking to wait another year when panic levels might have increased and desperation offers creep in.

They will be inundated with fired UAE CVs by then.

weasel decentral Aug 25th 2015 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11732369)
They will be inundated with fired UAE CVs by then.

True :lol: I'll allow another 3 months so, that should be enough time for the dregs of UAE to get hired and fired.

I have a hankering for Iraq, Afghanistan (or possibly Iran if that is possible) just for the insanity of it.

co durham boy Aug 25th 2015 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11732358)

Lots of work but shit margins and bad payment , it's actually a place where in a perceived boom you could go bust !

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2015 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11732411)
True :lol: I'll allow another 3 months so, that should be enough time for the dregs of UAE to get hired and fired.

I have a hankering for Iraq, Afghanistan (or possibly Iran if that is possible) just for the insanity of it.

Wait too long and the salaries drop. Qatar commands a premium ONLY when the UAE is busy enough that people don't need to go there. The minute it slows here the premiums for Qatar, Saudi, Kuwait and Bahrain all drop.

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11732426)
Lots of work but shit margins and bad payment , it's actually a place where in a perceived boom you could go bust !

Same here. Perception is a bastard of a disguise.

Millhouse Aug 25th 2015 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11732411)

Iran would be my choice there. Iraq (KRG) is great, Iraq (south) not so great. Afghanistan is a depressing place - great if you like seeing the same people all the time and being fenced in by hesco walls.