British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Good Indian Restaurants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/good-indian-restaurants-707146/)

Max the Dog Feb 27th 2011 2:22 pm

Good Indian Restaurants

Now my favorite Indian has closed, Kitchen Restaurant in Satwa (I've been getting delivery fro them for 20 years) :(, can anyone recommend a good place that delivers. I dont like the Brit curry type..Something authentic!

Hello.Kitty Feb 27th 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Good Indian Restaurants

I'm going to hijack your thread a teensy bit to just mention a fantastic new restaurant that's sadly not getting the footfall it deserves - Kurkuman in the Marina (marina side of The Waves, by the Yacht Club)... it's Afghan, Beluchistan and Peshwar food (so kind of Indian mixed with Persian) and absolutely lovely... plus the staff are so, so very sweet.

Madam Medusa Feb 27th 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 9205218)
Now my favorite Indian has closed, Kitchen Restaurant in Satwa (I've been getting delivery fro them for 20 years) :(, can anyone recommend a good place that delivers. I dont like the Brit curry type..Something authentic!

try nawab in jumeirah plaza, it's my fave indian delivery at the mo... http://www.nawabindiancuisine.ca/Our-menu.html

MM, xx

Max the Dog Feb 27th 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks! God I'm hungry now!:thumbsup:

Ethos83 Feb 27th 2011 5:02 pm

Good God, man, finding good Indian chow in Dubai is like trying to find hay in a haystack. Wake up and smell the sand in the air, or perhaps more helpfully, blindfold yourself and bumble around till you hit a building and odds are it'll have an Indian/Paki chophouse.

In the same arse end of town as Satwa you have Coconut Grove in the Rydges Hotel that has a decent range of food covering the various regions of India. Also on Al Dhiyafa is a hole in wall Hyderabadi place, opposite the Pizza Hut. Very good.

My particular favourite is Gazebo. Heartily recommended by several of my Indian friends. There are several locations around Dubai, I use the one in Media City but there's another place on Mankhool Street. Next door is a veggie place that does fantastic thalis at lunch and dosas the rest of the day.

Karama has seemingly thousands. Can't go wrong with most of 'em. Look up Time Out's reviews of the Karama joints. You have your pick - south Indian, Kerali, north Indian, Rajasthani (Manvaar in Karama is excellent but avoid the wheat dumplings), punjabi and so on. Every grandma in India will have a place here she can't complain about.

A whole slew of places have opened up in Al Barsha as well.

Madam Medusa Feb 27th 2011 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9205458)
Good God, man, finding good Indian chow in Dubai is like trying to find hay in a haystack. Wake up and smell the sand in the air, or perhaps more helpfully, blindfold yourself and bumble around till you hit a building and odds are it'll have an Indian/Paki chophouse.

In the same arse end of town as Satwa you have Coconut Grove in the Rydges Hotel that has a decent range of food covering the various regions of India. Also on Al Dhiyafa is a hole in wall Hyderabadi place, opposite the Pizza Hut. Very good.

My particular favourite is Gazebo. Heartily recommended by several of my Indian friends. There are several locations around Dubai, I use the one in Media City but there's another place on Mankhool Street. Next door is a veggie place that does fantastic thalis at lunch and dosas the rest of the day.

Karama has seemingly thousands. Can't go wrong with most of 'em. Look up Time Out's reviews of the Karama joints. You have your pick - south Indian, Kerali, north Indian, Rajasthani (Manvaar in Karama is excellent but avoid the wheat dumplings), punjabi and so on. Every grandma in India will have a place here she can't complain about.

he was specifically asking about delivery...i know for sure that coconut grove don't, sadly (and luckily)...

MM, xx

Max the Dog Feb 27th 2011 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9205458)

I concur re. Gazebo.
Used to order from them when I lived in Garhoud...Sadly they do not deliver to Downtown!

Millhouse Feb 27th 2011 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9205251)
I'm going to hijack your thread a teensy bit to just mention a fantastic new restaurant that's sadly not getting the footfall it deserves - Kurkuman in the Marina (marina side of The Waves, by the Yacht Club)... it's Afghan, Beluchistan and Peshwar food (so kind of Indian mixed with Persian) and absolutely lovely... plus the staff are so, so very sweet.

http://www.cobone.com/deals/dubai/ku...fghanifood/958

Hello.Kitty Feb 27th 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9205560)

ooo! That's the one indeed. WELL worth a visit, imo. So glad they've got some interest - it'd be a shame to see an independent restaurant go under.

Jim Smith Feb 28th 2011 3:17 am

Was sorry to hear this! Remember when the owner (a taxi driver) achieved his dream and opened it all those years ago!

Had many take-aways from there over the years I lived near the Trade Centre!

Blue Cat Feb 28th 2011 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 9206570)
Was sorry to hear this! Remember when the owner (a taxi driver) achieved his dream and opened it all those years ago!

Had many take-aways from there over the years I lived near the Trade Centre!

same here, the delivery man used to turn up dressed as in a uniform with a cap, sad to hear it's closed.

flares Feb 28th 2011 11:16 am

Chappan Bhog is great. Veg Thali's top drawer.

This is Abu Dhabi though...close to ADCB HQ and full of their Indian employees at lunch.

Always cricket on the box and welcomed with a smile from Babu

The Dean Mar 1st 2011 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9205304)
try nawab in jumeirah plaza, it's my fave indian delivery at the mo... http://www.nawabindiancuisine.ca/Our-menu.html

MM, xx

Totally agree with MM - although, having experienced both outlets, I marginally prefer the one in Al Ain computer plaza (just down the road from Stan Chart and the Ramada).

Max the Dog Mar 1st 2011 2:48 pm

Crisis over...Gazebo have opened in DIFC!:)

The Dean Mar 2nd 2011 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 9210504)
Crisis over...Gazebo have opened in DIFC!:)

Is Gazebo vegetarian?