British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Golf - DWC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/golf-dwc-741572/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2011 5:22 am

Golf - DWC

Went to this over the weekend and it was bloody brilliant.

Anyone else go?

I've got a 7 fold accumulator on winners of some pairings... I couldn't make it today so it's my improved way of following. Wish me and Luke Donald luck.

mentalist Dec 11th 2011 6:07 am

Re: Golf - DWC

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9781708)
Went to this over the weekend and it was bloody brilliant. Anyone else go?

You get much better coverage on TV.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2011 6:23 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9781730)
You get much better coverage on TV.

Mmm, but clubhouse passes meant my mrs got pictures with the likes of Garcia and Casey. She loved that.

We went to the practice range, then to the 5th green, watched the top 5/6pairs come in, then moved to 10th/12th (they're next to each other) to watch the same lot come through, then to the 18th to watch everyone come up and finish. Was fantastic.

TGFKASE Dec 11th 2011 7:19 am

Went for the first 2, but, this year, decided on sitting back in the Crown & Lion, Kilkenny in hand, and decided that THIS was the way to watch golf...

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2011 7:30 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9781790)
Went for the first 2, but, this year, decided on sitting back in the Crown & Lion, Kilkenny in hand, and decided that THIS was the way to watch golf...

True.

Voss water were a sponsor and their cool bags were almost as effective for beer carrying as the ones at the sevens....

TGFKASE Dec 11th 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9781797)
True.

Voss water were a sponsor and their cool bags were almost as effective for beer carrying as the ones at the sevens....

The almost part probably being due to the fact that the 7's Heineken bags ARE designed to carry beer, whereas the Voss water bags are, primarily, designed to carry water...

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9781798)
The almost part probably being due to the fact that the 7's Heineken bags ARE designed to carry beer, whereas the Voss water bags are, primarily, designed to carry water...

Beer is water at these events I've discovered...

TGFKASE Dec 11th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9781821)
Beer is water at these events I've discovered...

Thats why I don't drink that unprovenanced yellowish brew that passes for beer at most outdoor events...

Got, I wish A&E did the outdoor beer sales at these events...

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9781826)
Thats why I don't drink that unprovenanced yellowish brew that passes for beer at most outdoor events...

Got, I wish A&E did the outdoor beer sales at these events...

Unfortunately it's get what your given.

If Ringwood or some of the local brewers from the South turned up I'd be much happier and spend much more money.

Such is I suppose.

Welivehere Dec 11th 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9781708)
Went to this over the weekend and it was bloody brilliant. Anyone else go?

Yep we went up early yesterday, had breakfast, met Mr Els briefly, watched some of the early groups go out. The weather was great, there were activities for the kids and t'was well organized too so overall a most enjoyable morning.... Just wished we could have stayed longer....

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2011 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9781846)
Yep we went up early yesterday, had breakfast, met Mr Els briefly, watched some of the early groups go out. The weather was great, there were activities for the kids and t'was well organized too so overall a most enjoyable morning.... Just wished we could have stayed longer....

Amen.

Nice number of spectators too, unless you were following McIlroy. I spent Friday lunch walking along with Paul Casey who was playing brilliantly, but there were about 6 of us watching. Mental.

I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing blokes dressed in bright blue golf trousers, white calloway shirts, golf shoes, ping caps and everything......but just watching.

Classic.

Welivehere Dec 11th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9781857)
Amen.

Nice number of spectators too, unless you were following McIlroy. I spent Friday lunch walking along with Paul Casey who was playing brilliantly, but there were about 6 of us watching. Mental.

I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing blokes dressed in bright blue golf trousers, white calloway shirts, golf shoes, ping caps and everything......but just watching.

Classic.

The numbers were just getting a bit crazy when we left yesterday (lunchtime'ish) but we followed Jimenez for a bit and then Ernie / Clark both groups were small. Would love to have gone today minus kids but heh ho....

Have you played up there Scamp?

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 11th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9781946)
The numbers were just getting a bit crazy when we left yesterday (lunchtime'ish) but we followed Jimenez for a bit and then Ernie / Clark both groups were small. Would love to have gone today minus kids but heh ho....

Have you played up there Scamp?

I got Jimenez and Clarke at the 17th yesterday. Walking up the 18th they had arms around each other having a laugh.

Not played Earth but played Fire a while ago. Was tough out, easier coming in but spent my life in bunkers it seemed.

Unless you lay up before the fairway bunkers you need to hit a drive beyond. Both are bit too precise for me and Mr Norman seems to be able to make fairways run to bunkers far too easily.

Have you played it?

Blue Cat Dec 14th 2011 8:04 am

Atilla was marshalling all weekend at DWC, had a great time, I watched some of it on the TV :)