British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Golden salaries (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/golden-salaries-921242/)

UKCityGent Jan 21st 2019 4:09 am

Golden salaries

Is it me or has the age of golden salaries gone - i had a reciter last week offer a package lower than almost what i started with 10 years ago ?

No parachute bonus and fully loaded with housing and other allowances

Millhouse Jan 21st 2019 5:29 am

Re: Golden salaries

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12624712)
Is it me or has the age of golden salaries gone - i had a reciter last week offer a package lower than almost what i started with 10 years ago ?

Deffo - I see finance jobs that were "100++ packages" five years are about "65-75 all in" now.

weasel decentral Jan 21st 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12624712)

Gone in your locality maybe? But isn't it always the case that the country or area develops enough to be locally sufficient and the expensive foreign mercenary is no longer required.

You need to either accept it or move to a less developed country.

Millhouse Jan 21st 2019 6:01 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12624733)
Gone in your locality maybe? But isn't it always the case that the country or area develops enough to be locally sufficient and the expensive foreign mercenary is no longer required.

You need to either accept it or move to a less developed country.

I don’t see the region being any more developed than it was 10 years ago in respect of local capacity to execute. They have just found a pool of cheaper mercenaries.

weasel decentral Jan 21st 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12624734)

I don’t see the region being any more developed than it was 10 years ago in respect of local capacity to execute. They have just found a pool of cheaper mercenaries.

Yeah true actually, well then the next nearest locality of cheap labour has developed I guess. So the answer is move out of range or visa eligibility of Indians perhaps.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 21st 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12624734)
They have just found a pool of cheaper mercenaries.

And not seen the value in the people in those top roles. So many out here don't realise that they aren't as good as they think they are....

UKCityGent Jan 21st 2019 9:31 am

[QUOTE= You need to either accept it or move to a less developed country.[/QUOTE]

Early retirement beckons me - the question was raised as a hapless recruiter was trying to get me to move and i was just being nosy as to what was on the table.

[QUOTE= They have just found a pool of cheaper mercenaries. [/QUOTE]

Thats something ive noticed increasing over the past few years. Sooner or later the bottom will fall out as the quality of analysis/work is so low is literally unbelievable (and dont get me started on the 'big 4' !

Millhouse Jan 21st 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12624771)
And not seen the value in the people in those top roles. So many out here don't realise that they aren't as good as they think they are....

That's very true. Some of the worst people I've had to work with are at the higher end of the pay scale and they are simply paranoid yes men.

UKGent is also right, quality is shite. Some of the top-end law firms here are simply a joke. Looking at you A&O.

Millhouse Jan 21st 2019 9:49 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12624802)
Thats something ive noticed increasing over the past few years. Sooner or later the bottom will fall out as the quality of analysis/work is so low is literally unbelievable (and dont get me started on the 'big 4' !

We recently had one do a market study for us for the potential of solar generation in the region - we needed to tick a DD box.

1. UAE results - potential market size for solar was larger than the actual current consumption in the country... how is that even possible?
2. Kenya results - potential market size was smaller than what we have actually got contracts for... what?

basic shit man, no sense check at all. In both cases they knew the other number.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 21st 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12624806)
That's very true. Some of the worst people I've had to work with are at the higher end of the pay scale and they are simply paranoid yes men.

It's mind blowing how slow some senior folk are.

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12624802)

Definitely, we're trying to do it, but the rough diamond or cheap diamond is as hard to find as you'd imagine. Easier to find a decent Expat who is willing to take slightly less cash to stay here.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12624808)
We recently had one do a market study for us for the potential of solar generation in the region - we needed to tick a DD box.

1. UAE results - potential market size for solar was larger than the actual current consumption in the country... how is that even possible?
2. Kenya results - potential market size was smaller than what we have actually got contracts for... what?

basic shit man, no sense check at all. In both cases they knew the other number.

This tickled me a lot.

We have the UK questioning salaries here though, as the lead (based in London) only understands pounds....doesn't understand that the pound tanking has coincided with him increasing the number of questions about salaries. Nor does he appreciate the difference in living costs, nor does he appreciate the fact we don't like 10mins from parents or siblings etc. Very frustrating.

However....the worst possible way to argue about living costs was demonstrated when the leader of the region here was going to tell him the luxury (can't remember the brand but it's like a Boss or something) shirts he buys here are 2-3 times more than they are in Blighty. The second example? I shit you not, that this bloke thought a good one to use to demonstrate how destitute we are and that we all need bigger tax free packages....caviar.

These negotiation examples were suggested by a chap on probably 4x my salary and I wondered what I've done in a previous life to deserve that conversation.

UKCityGent Jan 22nd 2019 5:48 am

All these cases promote the addage "You are promoted to your level of incompetence !"

weasel decentral Jan 22nd 2019 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12624808)
UAE results - potential market size for solar was larger than the actual current consumption in the country... how is that even possible?

He's building in massive transmission losses into the energy distribution :D

TheShed Jan 22nd 2019 10:32 am

[QUOTE=Scamp;12624811]It's mind blowing how slow some senior folk are.

Definitely, we're trying to do it, but the rough diamond or cheap diamond is as hard to find as you'd imagine. Easier to find a decent Expat who is willing to take slightly less cash to stay here.

This tickled me a lot.

We have the UK questioning salaries here though, as the lead (based in London) only understands pounds....doesn't understand that the pound tanking has coincided with him increasing the number of questions about salaries. Nor does he appreciate the difference in living costs, nor does he appreciate the fact we don't like 10mins from parents or siblings etc. Very frustrating.

Hope that you reminded them that the dollars your ME office is earning for them are worth a whole lot more pounds than they used to be.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 22nd 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12625408)
Hope that you reminded them that the dollars your ME office is earning for them are worth a whole lot more pounds than they used to be.

Honestly it would just be lost on them.

jam25mack Jan 24th 2019 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12624811)
However....the worst possible way to argue about living costs was demonstrated when the leader of the region here was going to tell him the luxury (can't remember the brand but it's like a Boss or something) shirts he buys here are 2-3 times more than they are in Blighty. The second example? I shit you not, that this bloke thought a good one to use to demonstrate how destitute we are and that we all need bigger tax free packages....caviar.

These negotiation examples were suggested by a chap on probably 4x my salary and I wondered what I've done in a previous life to deserve that conversation.

Everyone knows that the Universal comparison item is the cost of a pint.... WTF are these people!