Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

going to a football match in Dubai

going to a football match in Dubai

Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:00 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to a football match in Dubai

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope

Positioning awareness and finishing worthy of RvP - set up the first goal for himself to finish and calmly judged the incredibly acute angle of the second goal despite all that forward momentum (he's a big guy). Oh and he plays for Al Ahli of Dubai (though he hasn't been showing that kind of form recently in the league in fairness). U12 level????
That is the national team though. Not a league team, which I was talking about.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:22 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
That is the national team though. Not a league team, which I was talking about.
And where do all the national team (first and second string) play their league football? Along with three foreign players per club, some of whom transferred directly from major clubs in Europe and South America....
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I played profesionally in the UK................
Who for and how many games?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

.....sigh....

You see there are two things I just don't understand in the positions being taken by dubaiguy and britexpat:

1) Why the need to take such an obviously exaggerated position - UAE league football is like U12 football or the worst league in the world - and so aggressively defend it with an irrelevant claim to unimpeachable expertise - played pro or worked for a UAE club? And in dubaiguy's case, throw in a bit of random personal abuse as a bonus.
Nobody is claiming that UAE football is comparable to European big leagues nor is expecting to see that when they go to a match. Another poster claimed League 1 as a comparison. That may be a bit generous but lots of people attend League 2 and Conference matches and enjoy them. It's the same here with the added bonus of participating in a bit of local culture and colour that you might otherwise miss. Which brings me to my second point...

2) We all have numerous complaints about living here, many of them justified and we are right to express them. I certainly don't subscribe to the "if you don't like it, leave" school of thought. Most of us here make very positive contributions to local social and economic development, pay all of our fees and charges and would be severely missed if we left en masse. Although the political systems do not give us a direct voice, that doesn't mean we don't deserve one (and expats do have a good deal more indirect influence on policy and governance than is usually publicly acknowledged). However, that is not the same as pouring vicious scorn and derision on everything connected with local culture and institutions. There are many things here which are good and valuable and many wonderful local people. If you really hate everything about this place so much, why on earth would you stay here?

Anyway, for those who waded through all that, here is a treat. UAE played Oman in yesterday's Gulf Cup qualifier. UAE had already qualified as group winners by virtue of two wins; Oman needed to win, likely by more than a goal to survive. UAE team was mostly young reserves. It was a tight match with the UAE repelling wave after wave of Oman attacks which really lacked any penetrative power. Then UAE's Ahmed Khalil came off the bench (for Ismail Mattar) and did this in the space of four minutes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cOs4XtadSdE

Positioning awareness and finishing worthy of RvP - set up the first goal for himself to finish and calmly judged the incredibly acute angle of the second goal despite all that forward momentum (he's a big guy). Oh and he plays for Al Ahli of Dubai (though he hasn't been showing that kind of form recently in the league in fairness). U12 level????
Are you this much fun IRL?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:57 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Are you this much fun IRL?
If you're asking me on a date, no thanks, I can get all the insecure bully boy aggression I need in the car park at Spinneys.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If you're asking me on a date, no thanks, I can get all the insecure bully boy aggression I need in the car park at Spinneys.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cypselos
On the women at football front this is entertainingly retarded

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/foot...tir-on-twitter
Retarded indeed.

women at a match would "lose the spirit of modesty and chastity".

Um, how exactly? I don't believe it's complusory for female football fans to strip and shag during a game. Perhaps it's be 'safer' for them if the men knew how to behave decently?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Meow
women at a match would "lose the spirit of modesty and chastity".

Um, how exactly? I don't believe it's complusory for female football fans to strip and shag during a game.
It used to be - I blame the advent of all seater stadia for killing all the atmosphere at games
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

got some Fitba in Abu Dhabi this weekend at Zayed Sports City...

Matchworld Cup: Fixtures

January 16 2013
5pm: Zenit St Petersburg v Al Hilal
8pm: Zamalek v Shakhtar Donetsk

January 19 2013
5pm: Shakhtar Donetsk v Al Hilal
8pm: Zenit St Petersburg v Zamalek

Saudis, Egyptians, Ruskies and Ukrainians. Maybe a chance to see The Hulk!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:30 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I had a brazilian friend who played for Al Wasl until year or so back when Maradona came in. I went to see a few games, but we just drove up with his mrs and they let us straight in the VIP area without any ID or tickets etc.

If you go to the main areas, you're not going to have a problem getting a ticket or space. The stadiums are always empty. There are people in the VIP section of course, which is fairly large. There was also a large group of men (and it was only men) on the other side of the stadium who would chant in organized fashion and sway from side to side. But other than that one block, the whole place was deserted. Not a single person literally in maybe 60-70% of the stands. I reckon no game I went to had attendance of more than 2-3000 people absolute tops.

Southampton games in league one still had 20,000 people turning up and had atmosphere. Top flight games here have less atmosphere (and spectators) than a non-league game in England.

My friend went on to play for Botofogo in Rio after his years here. I'm not sure which one paid the best, but surely playing in Brazil for a top team in front of tens of thousands of screaming fanatics must be better than the soulless kickabout that a typical UAE football game amounts to.

The players here are probably fairly decent judging by the other clubs they come from and go to after playing here, although maybe not prem quality. But it's amazing how lack of crowd and atmosphere really kills the experience even though the fans you do meet are nice guys, even if they're supporting the other team.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by captainflack

Southampton games in league one still had 20,000 people turning up and had atmosphere..
Go on the Saints!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack

My friend went on to play for Botofogo in Rio after his years here. I'm not sure which one paid the best, but surely playing in Brazil for a top team in front of tens of thousands of screaming fanatics must be better than the soulless kickabout that a typical UAE football game amounts to.
Botofogo are my Brazilian team (i.e. I have a Toffs retro shirt). Their attendances are poor even with Clarence Seedorf in the squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvicker...vickery_2.html

but still a better atmosphere than a full St Mary's and the Dubai derby
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by saudiflares
but still a better atmosphere than a full St Mary's
Never. It's the home of football.

Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Never. It's the home of football.

Southampton FC is just a distraction for all those sailing types you get down there.

Very rarely does a Saints/Pompey football story gets top billing over sailing on South Today with Fred Dineage and that Sally bint.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Southampton FC is just a distraction for all those sailing types you get down there.

Very rarely does a Saints/Pompey football story gets top billing over sailing on South Today with Fred Dineage and that Sally bint.
Quite right to have a bit of diversity.

The home of Sailing and Football.

It's a city of dreams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.