Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:34 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Gloucestershire County Council have run out of salt for gritting so some braindead genius came up with the idea of ordering 500 tonnes of Table Salt.

I have advised my mum to leave my car at home now, table salt is going to accelerate the rusting process dramatically, I am not impressed.

Bison
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:54 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

table salt will probably not increase the rate of rusting appreciably over rock salt as in essence they are the same mineral, just that table salt is refined and contains no sand/rock particles.

However spreading any kind of salt on the roads is largely ineffective below a certain temperature (about -9) as all it does is lower the freezing point of water. The idea is to spread it before freezing occurs to prevent ice formation. once its formed all that will happen is you make the ice last longer. there is some benfit from the traction gained but it is marginal

councils get this wrong every single year........baffling

Last edited by shiva; Feb 8th 2009 at 8:57 am.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:37 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Originally Posted by shiva
councils get this wrong every single year........baffling
Not really, if you could work for anyone would local councils be your first choice?

Of more concearn however where is Gloucesteshire? Is it near Gloucestershire?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Not really, if you could work for anyone would local councils be your first choice?

concern*...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:42 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Charismatic;7262492]Not really, if you could work for anyone would local councils be your first choice?

QUOTE]

given the amount of actual work done in order to earn a salary its gaining in my job aspirations list. besides it would appear to be a piece of piss to look really good at your job by about 9.15am on a monday morning que take rest of week off
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Originally Posted by expat.brat
concern*...
Curses!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

He can't read or write, but that dont really matter, he comes from Gloucesteshire and he can drive a volvo, oh er oh er...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
...he comes from Gloucesteshire...
And so do I so not a word more "young man" .
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:56 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok, Sky Blue is also from Gloucester so he is entitled to take the piss. It was only a typo, I would not go as far as saying it was a spelling mistake.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Ahh, another west country person on here, how very bizarre, where abouts do you hail from Charismatic???
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Ahh, another west country person on here, how very bizarre, where abouts do you hail from Charismatic???
Well I lie a little in that my early childhood was spent in Hereford, my family still have the house there (About half way between Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth) but was born in Gloucester.

Moved to Ireland but went back to attend (though I use that term liberally as frankly I was a terrible student) school in Monmouth because it was either that or live in Wisconsin, spending summers with the septics was bad enough. Then moved out here to New Zealand but hoping to move on once I've finished my degree (Assuming the sand hasn't reclaimed Dubai once it becomes a ghost town ).

You?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I lie a little in that my early childhood was spent in Hereford, my family still have the house there (About half way between Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth) but was born in Gloucester.

Moved to Ireland but went back to attend (though I use that term liberally as frankly I was a terrible student) school in Monmouth because it was either that or live in Wisconsin, spending summers with the septics was bad enough. Then moved out here to New Zealand but hoping to move on once I've finished my degree (Assuming the sand hasn't reclaimed Dubai once it becomes a ghost town ).

You?
Not quite that exotic, but I moved to Glos when i was 4 and lived in Longlevens until i left aged 18... My sister lives just outside Hereford now...

Where abouts in NZ are you? I visited for a month a couple of weeks in each island, tis a lovely place, although a little too quiet for my liking!!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:48 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Not quite that exotic, but I moved to Glos when i was 4 and lived in Longlevens until i left aged 18... My sister lives just outside Hereford now...

Where abouts in NZ are you? I visited for a month a couple of weeks in each island, tis a lovely place, although a little too quiet for my liking!!
Napier/Palmerston North/Wellington .