British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gloucesteshire-resorts-using-table-salt-roads-temp-drops-12-celsius-590036/)

Bison Feb 8th 2009 9:34 am

Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Gloucestershire County Council have run out of salt for gritting so some braindead genius came up with the idea of ordering 500 tonnes of Table Salt.

I have advised my mum to leave my car at home now, table salt is going to accelerate the rusting process dramatically, I am not impressed.

Bison

shiva Feb 8th 2009 9:54 am

Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

table salt will probably not increase the rate of rusting appreciably over rock salt as in essence they are the same mineral, just that table salt is refined and contains no sand/rock particles.

However spreading any kind of salt on the roads is largely ineffective below a certain temperature (about -9) as all it does is lower the freezing point of water. The idea is to spread it before freezing occurs to prevent ice formation. once its formed all that will happen is you make the ice last longer. there is some benfit from the traction gained but it is marginal

councils get this wrong every single year........baffling

Charismatic Feb 8th 2009 10:37 am

Re: Gloucesteshire Resorts To Using Table Salt on Roads As Temp Drops To -12 Celsius

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7262430)
councils get this wrong every single year........baffling

Not really, if you could work for anyone would local councils be your first choice? ;)

Of more concearn however where is Gloucesteshire? Is it near Gloucestershire?

expat.brat Feb 8th 2009 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7262492)
Not really, if you could work for anyone would local councils be your first choice? ;)

concern*...

shiva Feb 8th 2009 10:42 am

[QUOTE=Charismatic;7262492]Not really, if you could work for anyone would local councils be your first choice? ;)

QUOTE]

given the amount of actual work done in order to earn a salary its gaining in my job aspirations list. besides it would appear to be a piece of piss to look really good at your job by about 9.15am on a monday morning que take rest of week off

Charismatic Feb 8th 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 7262503)
concern*...

Curses!

Sky Blue Feb 8th 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7262492)

He can't read or write, but that dont really matter, he comes from Gloucesteshire and he can drive a volvo, oh er oh er...

Charismatic Feb 8th 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7262632)
...he comes from Gloucesteshire...

And so do I so not a word more "young man" :p.

Bison Feb 8th 2009 11:56 am

And so do I so not a word more "young man" .
It's ok, Sky Blue is also from Gloucester so he is entitled to take the piss. It was only a typo, I would not go as far as saying it was a spelling mistake.

Sky Blue Feb 8th 2009 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7262650)
And so do I so not a word more "young man" :p.

Ahh, another west country person on here, how very bizarre, where abouts do you hail from Charismatic???

Charismatic Feb 8th 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7262711)
Ahh, another west country person on here, how very bizarre, where abouts do you hail from Charismatic???

Well I lie a little in that my early childhood was spent in Hereford, my family still have the house there (About half way between Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth) but was born in Gloucester.

Moved to Ireland but went back to attend (though I use that term liberally as frankly I was a terrible student) school in Monmouth because it was either that or live in Wisconsin, spending summers with the septics was bad enough. Then moved out here to New Zealand but hoping to move on once I've finished my degree (Assuming the sand hasn't reclaimed Dubai once it becomes a ghost town :lol:).

You?

Sky Blue Feb 8th 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7262741)
Well I lie a little in that my early childhood was spent in Hereford, my family still have the house there (About half way between Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth) but was born in Gloucester.

Moved to Ireland but went back to attend (though I use that term liberally as frankly I was a terrible student) school in Monmouth because it was either that or live in Wisconsin, spending summers with the septics was bad enough. Then moved out here to New Zealand but hoping to move on once I've finished my degree (Assuming the sand hasn't reclaimed Dubai once it becomes a ghost town :lol:).

You?

Not quite that exotic, but I moved to Glos when i was 4 and lived in Longlevens until i left aged 18... My sister lives just outside Hereford now...

Where abouts in NZ are you? I visited for a month a couple of weeks in each island, tis a lovely place, although a little too quiet for my liking!!

Charismatic Feb 8th 2009 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7262826)
Not quite that exotic, but I moved to Glos when i was 4 and lived in Longlevens until i left aged 18... My sister lives just outside Hereford now...

Where abouts in NZ are you? I visited for a month a couple of weeks in each island, tis a lovely place, although a little too quiet for my liking!!

Napier/Palmerston North/Wellington :).