British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Global Village Fatalities (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/global-village-fatalities-657030/)

lionheart Feb 28th 2010 3:31 am

Global Village Fatalities

The Indian Pavilion evidently collapsed last night as a result of the heavy rain killing at least one person (in UAE-speak that problably means ten).:(
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/em...lls-1-1.589788

BurpusMe Feb 28th 2010 11:33 am

Re: Global Village Fatalities

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8380719)
The Indian Pavilion evidently collapsed last night as a result of the heavy rain killing at least one person (in UAE-speak that problably means ten).:(
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/em...lls-1-1.589788

We went to the final night of Global Village too - it was a shocker!
We saw a young Emirati woman nearly decapitated when some giant sheets of metal from the roof of Iranian pavilion were ripped off in the wind and flew directly into her neck. Some friends informed me that there was a fire in another pavilion. We briefly took shelter in the Indian pavilion, but it was incredibly crowded so we decided it would be better to leave and get soaked, than stick around that dump. Turns out that was a good call. Based on that experience, I doubt I'll ever return to Global Village.

Confucius Feb 28th 2010 11:36 am

Originally Posted by BurpusMe (Post 8381468)
We went to the final night of Global Village too - it was a shocker!
We saw a young Emirati woman nearly decapitated when some giant sheets of metal from the roof of Iranian pavilion were ripped off in the wind and flew directly into her neck. Some friends informed me that there was a fire in another pavilion. We briefly took shelter in the Indian pavilion, but it was incredibly crowded so we decided it would be better to leave and get soaked, than stick around that dump. Turns out that was a good call. Based on that experience, I doubt I'll ever return to Global Village.

This all was part of this year's attraction...Things were getting into a routine for the last 3-4 years so they spiced things up...

stuart6078 Feb 28th 2010 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 8381472)
This all was part of this year's attraction...Things were getting into a routine for the last 3-4 years so they spiced things up...

Yeah, like really funny....

Confucius Feb 28th 2010 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by stuart6078 (Post 8381542)

Nody put a gun to your head to make you laugh, innit???

stuart6078 Feb 28th 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 8381548)
Nody put a gun to your head to make you laugh, innit???

Who exactly is Nody? Ah must be your script writer.....

shakh your bootie Feb 28th 2010 12:29 pm

Yet another incident of poor civil engineering resulting in an accident.... Dubai ain't doing so well these days.....

Confucius Feb 28th 2010 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by stuart6078 (Post 8381572)
Who exactly is Nody? Ah must be your script writer.....

No...He's the guy who put a gun to your head...

BurpusMe Feb 28th 2010 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8381587)
Yet another incident of poor civil engineering resulting in an accident.... Dubai ain't doing so well these days.....

I must agree with SYB...
The scary part is that the scale of this problem is as epic as Dubai itself.

Madam Medusa Feb 28th 2010 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8381587)

it's not looking good, is it...

MM, xx

seven seas Feb 28th 2010 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by stuart6078 (Post 8381542)

Just to warn you, Stu- you are supposed to gloat about all the misfortunes Dubai is going through, while maintaining that you saw through all the bullshit from teh start.

AND you are here just because your company begged you to come out here, otherwise no way.

And everyone is incompetent unless they're western.

And if you don't see how the 'jokes' are funny, you don't have a sense of humour.

So that aggressive response and joking about people gettign killed, and spreading rumours about how the authorities cover stuff up... that's what it's like.

And no, I don't know why I stuck around.

TGFKASE Feb 28th 2010 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8381778)
Just to warn you, Stu- you are supposed to gloat about all the misfortunes Dubai is going through, while maintaining that you saw through all the bullshit from teh start.

AND you are here just because your company begged you to come out here, otherwise no way.

And if you don't see how the 'jokes' are funny, you don't have a sense of humour.

So that aggressive response and joking about people gettign killed, and spreading rumours about how the authorities cover stuff up... that's what it's like.

Why is it people still insist on thinking that people DECIDED to come out here on a whim and a prayer.. Mate, some of us WERE begged to come out here, usually because they couldn't get Arabs to do the job.. Live with it..

Ill grant you that, in many occupations, the rest of the immigrants CAN do the job. Unfortunately, that is not the case in my role, which is why Im staying beyond my 3 year assignment...

You really need to open your eyes. This place is not the promised land that Dubai Inc liked to portray. The fact that we DO joke about it is due to the fact that, if we didn't laugh, we'd cry, and wonder WTF we are doing in a despot state...

Confucius Feb 28th 2010 3:18 pm

Bring Jesus into your life...You need love...

spart Feb 28th 2010 4:05 pm

Nody put a gun to your head to make you stick around, innit???

Madam Medusa Feb 28th 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8381993)
Nody put a gun to your head to make you stick around, innit???

he's addicted...it's an illness...

MM, xx