British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Global alcohol consumption............ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/global-alcohol-consumption-706321/)

The Dean Feb 21st 2011 5:34 pm

Global alcohol consumption............

1 Attachment(s)
From The Economist:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...ol_consumption

Thursday would be a good time to paint Dubai red...........

al dente Feb 22nd 2011 5:42 am

Re: Global alcohol consumption............

Hmm, they obviously didn't get to Nairobi on a Friday night!

Norm_uk Feb 22nd 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9193122)

Or China - where 50%+ proof booze with breakfast isn't out of the ordinary!

N.

kittycat1 Feb 22nd 2011 2:57 pm

Ok so how much does everyone drink here- I have friends who say they drink more here than they ever have done, personally I drink a lot less as i drink less frequently. So are you a bunch of raving alcoholics or teetotalers?

NorthernLad Feb 22nd 2011 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9194040)
Ok so how much does everyone drink here- I have friends who say they drink more here than they ever have done, personally I drink a lot less as i drink less frequently. So are you a bunch of raving alcoholics or teetotalers?

I drink far less here than when I lived in London. Maybe a couple of pints mid-week, then out for dinner and a few more pints on a Friday.
When we first moved here we did a lot of brunches (they used to be good value), but after a while this wore off, prefer a bbq at home now with friends.

nottmbantam Feb 22nd 2011 3:48 pm

Yeah, proper mental.

The Dean Feb 23rd 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9194040)

The 'most drunk most often' period of my life, by a country mile, was in Saudi......

Bahtatboy Mar 1st 2011 2:31 pm

The 'most drunk most often' period of my life, by a country mile, was in Japan......But that was after 2 dry years in Riyadh (wasn't on a compound, mates' home brew was foul, didn't actually miss it). Quite often used to get home after the newspapers had arrived, which is not a good thing. Its amazing what you can do after 2 dry years when you're young and fit. Best ever excursions were wandering off into a suburb and finding a small, local bar (big enough for about 20 people), murdering My Way in Japanese on the karaoke, and chatting to the mainly Anglophile, hospitable and pissed natives.

So many bars, so little time...

I drink more here that I used to in UK, mainly coz I haven't got anyone nagging me not to.:( Crap bars in Abu Dhabi, though.

lionheart Mar 1st 2011 2:35 pm

Have you been?

al dente Mar 1st 2011 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9210471)
Have you been?

Ndio. Lived there for a while. Norfolk bar on a friday, then we used to go onto the Carni. Last time i was there, there was a great bar behind the Sarit centre but i can't remember it's name.