British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Glasgow Rangers and the Royal Marines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/glasgow-rangers-royal-marines-607066/)

commander May 4th 2009 12:09 pm

Glasgow Rangers and the Royal Marines

Amazing reception for the returning hero's of 45 Commando Royal Marines who returned to Arbroath after their tour in Helmland Afghanistan. They sadly lost a lot of men and many have returned to my home town crippled.

A great gesture by a great club.

'mon the scottish commando

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ejk...layer_embedded

Inselaffen May 4th 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Glasgow Rangers and the Royal Marines

If returning British troops are going to get a good reception at a club then Rangers is where its guaranteed.

that said its the reception they deserve. The world would be a lot more dangerous place if the nutters from the Taliban were back in control.

TGFKASE May 4th 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7539680)
Amazing reception for the returning hero's of 45 Commando Royal Marines who returned to Arbroath after their tour in Helmland Afghanistan. They sadly lost a lot of men and many have returned to my home town crippled.

Well, have to say this has earned some grudged respect for the Rankers.....

But it'll pass.....;)

Grace O Malley May 4th 2009 1:39 pm

Are you posting on here whilst on holiday????

TGFKASE May 4th 2009 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7539874)
Are you posting on here whilst on holiday????

Wish it was a ****** holiday.... Spent the last 3 weeks holed up in a windowless office off Westheimer in Houston.....

Only one more week to go and then back on a plane for the 15hr flight to the Sandpit...

Then straight into moving house.....

Ill need a ****** holiday by the end of this month....

commander May 4th 2009 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7539895)
Wish it was a ****** holiday.... Spent the last 3 weeks holed up in a windowless office off Westheimer in Houston.....

Only one more week to go and then back on a plane for the 15hr flight to the Sandpit...

pint in sherlocks?

TGFKASE May 4th 2009 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7540014)
pint in sherlocks?

Your tab open, like?

Then a wee wander doon to Ricks for some culture.....

Blue Cat May 5th 2009 4:07 am

what a lovely thing to do, I am guessing the guy with the white stick lost his site in combat, truly tragic. There is something about a man in uniform ..

Grace O Malley May 5th 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7539895)

ha ha sounds divine, my post was for commander though not you, I know you are in Houston working really hard.......................

commander Jun 14th 2009 7:30 am

Just watched that again..truly awesome.

BangleMan Jun 14th 2009 7:36 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7662814)
Just watched that again..truly awesome.

once was enough surely.....!!

Not about the Royal Marines, but to see all those twats in the stands again !

commander Jun 14th 2009 7:41 am

Would have been better at downton park I know..cause you cockneys are a hoot...

BangleMan Jun 14th 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7662839)
Would have been better at downton park I know..cause you cockneys are a hoot...

glad you acknowledge it !

StublueKPL Jun 14th 2009 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7541622)
what a lovely thing to do, I am guessing the guy with the white stick lost his site in combat, truly tragic. There is something about a man in uniform ..

Im sure that I read that the guy with the stick broke his foot playing 5 a sides!! Good luck to them though.

I missed that game as i was back out here but the boys at the match said it was brilliant.

Big Kevin Jun 14th 2009 11:37 am

An interesting video, and one that under normal circumstances I wouldn't have seen since I tend to avoid video with Rangers in the title since I'm still slightly disappointed at Celtic losing the title to Rangers this last season, but thank you for posting this Commander.

I noticed comment on a previous thread, I'm sorry I forget who actually posted it, but it was along the lines of soldiers don't make war, politicians do, and that homecoming soldiers should be treated with respect, regardless of whether we agree with the reasons behind them 'being there' in the first place. I agree wholeheartedly with that and imho the vast majority of people in Scotland are reasonable and respect that.

That said, and I know this may not be popular, I am not comfortable with the use of a football match as a vehicle for the propogation of ANY political agenda. I feel that the flag waving and singing of triumphalist songs is contentious, divisive, and sadly a major part of the blight that affects the game of football in Scotland. I suppose my view might have been different if the soldiers had paraded at a Scotland match, but then I'm not sure that 'Rule Britannia' might have been sung with such gusto, or actually, at all?

The political, not to mention religious, divide in Scotland is a deep rooted and shameful part of our history, but I guess that the decision to have the soldiers parade at a football match does lead one to consider just exactly where we stand and where out loyalties lie.

Overall I am glad that the soldiers were congratulated and welcomed home since they have the most difficult of jobs to do (by virtue of putting their very lives on the line to do it), and whether we agree with the reasons behind our soldiers 'being there', we must surely support them in their endeavours.

But let's not ignore it, there are clearly issues, and they are sadly associated with football in Glasgow, including sectarianism, loyalism, republicanism and nationalism that need to be considered if we are to progress out of the dark ages.

Football and politics, no the mix doesn't work for me. But I do congratulate and support the soldiers themselves.