British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gitex (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gitex-928349/)

Millhouse Oct 7th 2019 8:15 am

Gitex

I went to Gitex yesterday. It's basically a nicer version of Dragonmart, what a load of shit.

martinbkk Oct 7th 2019 4:11 pm

Re: Gitex

Gitex, exhibition for Gits?

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 8th 2019 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12744918)
I went to Gitex yesterday. It's basically a nicer version of Dragonmart, what a load of shit.

Did you buy a telly and get a free car?

Never been, always tempted by these mega deals.....but could do with a new iPad / MacBook ta the moment - is that the sort of shit that gets sold cheap or have I missed the point completely?

Millhouse Oct 8th 2019 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12745371)
Did you buy a telly and get a free car?

Never been, always tempted by these mega deals.....but could do with a new iPad / MacBook ta the moment - is that the sort of shit that gets sold cheap or have I missed the point completely?

I may have been in the wrong hall for stuff being sold - I didn't buy a TV.

It was all drones and future tech. Little robots walking around etc. It was like an episode from Tomorrow's World in the late 80s but with LED lighting.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 8th 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12745375)
I may have been in the wrong hall for stuff being sold - I didn't buy a TV.

It was all drones and future tech. Little robots walking around etc. It was like an episode from Tomorrow's World in the late 80s but with LED lighting.

Was it, ultimately, a bit tragic?

Irishbeekeeper Oct 8th 2019 1:26 pm

The one where you get deals is Gitex Shoppers and its already over a few weeks now. Although as someone who knows a bit about these things, you only THINK you are getting a deal, you can usually buy the same thing cheaper somewhere else.

This one is Gitex Technology and they arent allowed to sell anything from their stalls. This is only for networking etc and yes most of them are from China. I went yesterday and got totally lost although did manage to finish my 10,000 steps quite well. As one of the larger exhibitors pointed out to me, business must be very bad for everyone if SO many people have decided to show up here and try and showcase whatever they are selling.
Expo 2020 would be exactly the same of all this but at a bigger scale and for a few months property sales might go up but thats about it.
Fun Fact 1 : Lots of Perving opportunities so go alone
Fun Fact 2 : Make sure to leave well before 6 pm because the venue shuts down at 7 pm and then everyone in the world decides to clog the roads and the metro at World Trade Center

Millhouse Oct 8th 2019 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12745497)
The one where you get deals is Gitex Shoppers and its already over a few weeks now. Although as someone who knows a bit about these things, you only THINK you are getting a deal, you can usually buy the same thing cheaper somewhere else.

This one is Gitex Technology and they arent allowed to sell anything from their stalls. This is only for networking etc and yes most of them are from China. I went yesterday and got totally lost although did manage to finish my 10,000 steps quite well. As one of the larger exhibitors pointed out to me, business must be very bad for everyone if SO many people have decided to show up here and try and showcase whatever they are selling.
Expo 2020 would be exactly the same of all this but at a bigger scale and for a few months property sales might go up but thats about it.
Fun Fact 1 : Lots of Perving opportunities so go alone
Fun Fact 2 : Make sure to leave well before 6 pm because the venue shuts down at 7 pm and then everyone in the world decides to clog the roads and the metro at World Trade Center

The central area with someone giving what looked like a TED talk was great. The acoustics were terrible, and it was a struggle to listen, but with only three people watching who, judging by their shared ethnicity, were friends, it didn't matter that you couldn't hear.