Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Girlfriends birthday...

Girlfriends birthday...

Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriends birthday...

You could engineer a fall out and say "we need time apart" coinciding with her birthday and then meet 1 or 2 weeks after - may only cost you a meal to get things back together again.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad so far. About a 50:50 split between helpful advice and utter bollox.

Scamp, diamonds are good value out here. And if you do split up you can always hope she flings the ring/necklace/brooch back at you. (Just trying to maintain the 50:50 balance )
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

All right, fine, I'll contribute something useful:

1. What about a pearl necklace or earrings? The cultured pearls from Japan are pretty good value in Dubai and cheaper and not as committal as diamonds and I bought a few pairs as gifts for my mother/sister/old lady friends. 500-700 AED for a nice set of black pearl earrings. Got them at the Gold and Diamond Park by MoE. Be sure to tell the dealers that you are a Dubai resident and always haggle down to the breaking point.

2. When I left Dubai my company gave me a framed poster of the Burj Khalifa. Lest you protest it was actually quite nice, done in a mock - New Yorker cover style. It's an artistic rendering, not a photograph. (if you know the New Yorker at all
http://www.google.com/search?q=New+Y...w=1213&bih=669
)

Apparently the HR director got it at a store at the Dubai Mall. Probably cost a few hundred AED.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Not bad so far. About a 50:50 split between helpful advice and utter bollox.

Scamp, diamonds are good value out here. And if you do split up you can always hope she flings the ring/necklace/brooch back at you. (Just trying to maintain the 50:50 balance )
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

1. What about a pearl necklace
fnarr fnarr
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Dont give her a slap when you come in

That should make her feel special

Of course you can give her two the day after so she realizes you havent gone soft on her.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

It's my birthday today....

Inside my birthday card was a ticket for a track session at Yas Marina circuit in an Aston GT4.

I had no idea Mrs O had planned this

For a petrolhead like me, this was an octanegasm

Thank you duckie!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:03 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

One of the nicest presents I ever had wasn't expensive - I got taken to make my own perfume. I bloody loved it. I didn't actually make it but I was blindfolded and had to smell lots of oils. The smells I most liked wre checked to see if they were compatible then they made up a little bottle. So personal and such a nice experience. I then did this for my mum and best friend on their birthday to similar joy.

Here you can go into the perfumes shops like Yas and they Do similar scenarios. The Yas shop in the Duabi mall is very friendly. You say the kinds of smells you like and they let you sniff the oils. You pick a nice crystal bottle (or a hideous one - there are some corkers in there) and the oil you picked goes in the bottle.

Jewelry never fails (for this girl anyway). Pearls sound lovely and they part of the history here so it's a lovely relevant touch.

Now you've got me wanting to go and buy a pearl ring as a remembrance of Dubai....
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:45 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I once bought Mrs Shed a day with a personal shopper which she really truly enjoyed. You pay a bit of money to the lady, and suggest a max budget. Se does the rest.

Gotta say, the misus looked fab when she came home and has always looked good since. Decent investment I would say.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
fnarr fnarr
my thoughts exactly. Who below the age of 67 wears pearls?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Lots of useful shit there. Thanks people.

I like the perfume idea.

I bought her a ring with diamonds in for moving here for me.

So far my list looks a lot better than it did yesterday, so thanks for the help. I'm going to keep digging around for ideas and think I've settled on Jebel Ali Resort for the day on Friday....unless anyone else can suggest somewhere we can sunbathe, sit at a pool bar and drink, have a brunch, continue chilling out and then stay for the evening with DJ / Music and drinks???

I'm definitely going to give her a pearl necklace though, I'll make sure it's a surprise too.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Jenna Jameson ?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm definitely going to give her a pearl necklace though, I'll make sure it's a surprise too.
Go for it boy...

Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

There's two yummy mummy artists in Abu Dhabi who churn out good stuff

one called Jen http://jennifersimon.co.uk/events.html

and one called Heidi - don't know her website
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ethos83

1. What about a pearl necklace or earrings? The cultured pearls from Japan are pretty good value in Dubai and cheaper and not as committal as diamonds and I bought a few pairs as gifts for my mother/sister/old lady friends. 500-700 AED for a nice set of black pearl earrings. Got them at the Gold and Diamond Park by MoE. Be sure to tell the dealers that you are a Dubai resident and always haggle down to the breaking point.

2. When I left Dubai my company gave me a framed poster of the Burj Khalifa. Lest you protest it was actually quite nice, done in a mock - New Yorker cover style. It's an artistic rendering, not a photograph. (if you know the New Yorker at all
http://www.google.com/search?q=New+Y...w=1213&bih=669
)

Apparently the HR director got it at a store at the Dubai Mall. Probably cost a few hundred AED.
You can't go telling them off for being childish and then hand them innuendo on a plate!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most girls my age I know have pearls. Especially earrings.

I'm rather fond of the large Tahitian grey-black pearl earrings on the alabaster ears of a woman.

I much prefer pearls on a woman over any flashy gold or platinium jewelry. The understated elegance of pearls strikes the right chords.

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.