Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Girl Flat Tyre question

Girl Flat Tyre question

Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice
Default Girl Flat Tyre question

I know I should be an empowered woman and all that jazz, but when it comes to cars I'm a total girl... When I got to my car this morning I had a flat tyre, so did what every sensible girl should do in this situation when it's time for work and got a taxi. I'm now debating whether to try to drive it to ADCO to get it changed (about 5-10 minute drive down the Corniche) or to call someone out to change it... so my questions are:

If I wait til rush hour's finished, will I be ok to drive it (slowly) to the tyre bay

or

If not, does anyone have a roadside assistance number they could share?
I've looked at the AA which is an option, but it takes 48 hours to activate membership so looking for a company that will just come, change my tyre and then no doubt charge me through the nose (no probs... I can take it on the chin as a fine for being too much of a girl to change my own tyre!).

It's days like this when I wish I had me one of those husband people to send off to fix it!

Thanks in advance...
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:35 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Girl Flat Tyre question

Can't you get one of your male work mates to volunteer to help?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Sadly only one of them is in and he's not the helpful type if you know what I mean... although he did laugh a lot, so at least I brightened his day!!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ehow.com/how_2040478_chan...ire-women.html

http://www.carsforgirls.com/index.ph...change-a-tire/

DO NOT drive anywhere with a flat especially if its a front one thats flat, if you dont want to change it and have to drive it then buy a can of the below and drive slowly to the garage once you have filled the tire

http://www.fixaflat.com/products.asp?page=1_0
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Check your insurance policy - you may have breakdown assistance already.
I just renewed my Royal & Sun Insurance and noticed I have '24 hours breakdown assistance'.
Could have saved the AED175 I got hit for to jump start the car a while back....
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:54 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Can't you get one of your male work mates to volunteer to help?
"Tis a pity Spugsy is in Dubai.

As Shiva said don't drive on a flat tyre. I think most car insurances have an emergency road assist clause.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
I know I should be an empowered woman and all that jazz, but when it comes to cars I'm a total girl... When I got to my car this morning I had a flat tyre, so did what every sensible girl should do in this situation when it's time for work and got a taxi. I'm now debating whether to try to drive it to ADCO to get it changed (about 5-10 minute drive down the Corniche) or to call someone out to change it... so my questions are:

If I wait til rush hour's finished, will I be ok to drive it (slowly) to the tyre bay

or

If not, does anyone have a roadside assistance number they could share?
I've looked at the AA which is an option, but it takes 48 hours to activate membership so looking for a company that will just come, change my tyre and then no doubt charge me through the nose (no probs... I can take it on the chin as a fine for being too much of a girl to change my own tyre!).

It's days like this when I wish I had me one of those husband people to send off to fix it!

Thanks in advance...

I'd be happy to help you change your tire if you're in AD.

But to be honest it's not a difficult thing to do. Don't drive on a flat as you can perminantly damage the wheel. If you're really stuck just ask a neighbour or friend at work - surely someone can help.

It seems a bit frivolous to get the AA or breakdown service over a flat unless your spare is also buggered.

N.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Just wear a tight top and ask one of your male colleagues.
One of the married ones.

Easy.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I think all women should know how to change a tyre, it isn't that difficult.
You could be unlucky and get a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere with no mobile reception. Why put yourself at risk?
Although, if you get a flat tyre and there are people around, just take the spare tyre and the jack out and look flustered..works all the time. :-)
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys... I checked the fine print on my insurance and there was indeed breakdown cover in very small writing... so all sorted...Thanks for the offer though Norm...

Patsy - you're right - I really should be able to change a tyre, although I'm sure if I was stranded I'd figure it out. Wish there were some basic car maintenance courses around. In some countries you have to be able to change a tyre as part of your driving test... v.sensible!